It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Iran to Monitor U.N. Nuclear Inspectors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Iran is once again dancing a delicate line with the International Atomic Energy Agency. IAEA inspectors are in Iran to inspect a huge military complex. Iran is only allowing for the collection of environmental samples from the outside of the complex. Iranian officials have warned that they will not allow further testing to protect their ongoing military programs. Iran has said it will watch the inspectors closely to ensure that no espionage takes place.

story.news.yahoo.com
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian officials vowed to carefully watch for any attempted espionage by international inspectors, who on Thursday were visiting a military complex that the United States alleges may be involved in nuclear weapons research.

Inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency, arrived in Iran on Wednesday for a visit to the huge Parchin military complex just outside the capital Tehran, according to state-run television.

Iran has said it will allow U.N. nuclear experts to take environmental samples from landscaped areas outside the military complex's ammunition production workshops but it won't allow them to inspect military equipment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The inspections that Iran is allowing are far from the complete access that has been demanded of them. To be able to swab a bush, and collect a spoonful of dirt from outside the fence is hardly the types of inspections that need to be done to ensure that Iran is complying with International law.

Iran seems to be very wary of spies hidden amongst the inspectors. It would appear as if some of the military research projects underway at this facility would be of interest to the rest of the world, and Iran wants to make sure that it keeps it's secrets.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
TA-ANALYSIS: Iran Wants Nukes by January
NEWS: Iran Says Will Retaliate if Nuclear Plants Hit

[edit on 1/13/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is so funny, so Iran is worry that US will send spies to rob them of their "advanced technology" I find it hilarous.

I feel like I miss something here, since when Iran and the rest of the world holds better technology than the US.

You know I have to handle this one to the US Is not country out there that can hide a secret from US anyway. Right?

Perhaps only Saddam and his missing MWDs.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This is so funny, so Iran is worry that US will send spies to rob them of their "advanced technology" I find it hilarous.

Whats wrong with them being protective? There have been doubts raised (with some evidence behind them) that members of the Iraqi UN inspector team were CIA spies, who were scouting targets for the US to hit. With that in mind, whats wrong with a country that has had a lot of bad blood between it and the US being very suspicious about a US led agency inspecting its secret installations. Would the US stand for North Korea inspecting Area51?

I feel like I miss something here, since when Iran and the rest of the world holds better technology than the US.

Maybe not Iran, but I wouldnt rule it out, the US doesnt lead the world in everything, and thinking that it does makes you sound arrogant.

You know I have to handle this one to the US Is not country out there that can hide a secret from US anyway. Right?

Perhaps only Saddam and his missing MWDs.

There are plenty of countries that can hide secrets from the US, and by the current trend, I think there are plenty that feel they need to. The US doesnt have some fantastic 'see all' technology that can probe into anywhere they want to. The current situation with Iraq and total lack of WMD prove that the US isnt exactly infallible.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Richard prices thanks for interpreting the sarcasm of my post. If you have know me better you will know that is what I mean.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Richard prices thanks for interpreting the sarcasm of my post. If you have know me better you will know that is what I mean.

I apologise profusely
I didnt detect the sarcasm, and I havent seen any of your prior posts

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Marg is full of sarcasm.
It's one of the reasons why we love her around here.

Your point on the CIA spies in the Iraq inspection teams is well taken. I would completely expect that their are US employed members of any team. Are they needed on the ground to scout targets? Proabably not.

The world knows pretty well what bases to target if they decide to. I think that if they are there it is more to ascertain the level of advancement of some of the weapons systems that are being built/developed in Iran.

Iran has developed completely home-grown weapons systems since the 80's and I imagine the US would like to size those up.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
IAEA is not a US organization, although the US is one of the countries which is part of the organization, but the head of IAEA is not an american, but an Egyptian, Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei. If Iran has any concerns, it is about the IAEA finding that they are already probably working on the development of nuclear technology for military uses.

BTW, things that happen in the world are not always as black and white as to say for certain that since no "stockpiles of wmd were found" then it means there were never any... If that was so, then why would Iraq had banned technologies, rocket parts that are used in wmd, explosives which are used in wmd, and other banned materials and military technologies which they were not supposed to have according to the UN sanctions?

They even fired scuds missiles, as well as other missiles at the beginning of the war, and these were banned too. All of this and the hide and seek games that Saddam was playing with the weapons inspectors, plus the tons of documents found in Iraq of wmd should tell people that Saddam/Iraq was working on wmd programes.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
IAEA is not a US organization, although the US is one of the countries which is part of the organization, but the head of IAEA is not an american, but an Egyptian, Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei. If Iran has any concerns, it is about the IAEA finding that they are already probably working on the development of nuclear technology for military uses.

I agree that they are hiding things. At this particular complex they are know to be working on high explosives. Probably the types of explosives that are needed in nuclear weapons. That's why they won't allow for an indepth inspection of the site. There are probably traces of explosives all over that base. One swab could confirm that the posses the ones needed to set off a nuclear detonation.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I imagine that it will be a lot of activity in the area before the UN comes to do their inspections, now that movement is what the US will be watching very carefully.

Now I have no doubt that it will be spies in the group of inspectors and I bet they will be looking for the right stuff.

Now after the fiasco with the Intel in Iraq, I wonder how good the Intel from Iran is going to be.

top topics

join