It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBA commissioner: N.C. law could affect All-Star Game, Hornets' future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

NBA commissioner Adam Silver acknowledged Thursday that the All-Star Game could be moved if a controversial North Carolina law limiting anti-discrimination protection for gays, lesbians and transgender people stands, but he also said that the league "has a much bigger issue" than one game.

Silver answered criticism that the NBA should have already pulled the All-Star Game out of North Carolina, saying it would be problematic for the league to make that announcement and then have the Charlotte Hornets host a playoff game days later.

"I'm really not seeing the distinction, which is why this is a much bigger issue," he said on ESPN's Mike & Mike on Thursday. "I'm only saying that whatever we do, we have to keep an eye on the fact that we have one of our 30 franchises operating in that state. We have a much bigger issue in North Carolina than the All-Star Game: It's the ongoing operation of our team.

"That's why what's most important to this league that there be a change in law. It would be easy to make a statement but I can't cut-and-run here? I'm leaving my team there."
Adam Silver: N.C. law could affect All-Star Game, Hornets' future

Just imagine for a second if the United States ever broke up and became separate countries. Then, there would be no limits on the laws that could be passed and there would be the possibility of infinite issues such as the above.

Since this story is probably a result of the following:

Bipartisan group of U.S. Senators urge NBA to move '17 All-Star Game

It brings to my mind how disappointing it is that people will go so far on trendy issues such as LGBT rights but they ignore the far more heinous crimes going on such as CPS stealing children:

Child Protective Services Stealing & Sex Trafficking Children Stories Could Get You Killed – But They Must Be Exposed

Former Foster Parent Exposes How CPS Kidnaps Kids Away from Good Homes – Puts them on Drugs

When CPS Kidnaps Children for Money

Because of things such as the above I decided that the world is no place to have a child. Few would ever think to stand up for the rights of the child I will never have. It's proof to me that people don't really care about human rights, this is just a trendy thing.
edit on 22-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I'm kinda like ehhh, but I'm also kinda like if you make dumbass discriminatory laws, maybe your state should be boycotted.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
If you want to make a thread about your opinion of CPS, you should probably make a thread about it instead of pretending your thread is about one thing and then back-dooring your way to another CPS thread.

Just sayin.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Just because there are worse issues out there than LGBT rights doesn't make them any less important. A state actively passing laws allowing discrimination against a group of individuals is a big deal. It is moving backwards.
edit on 22amFri, 22 Apr 2016 07:38:53 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
trendy issues such as LGBT rights

It amazes me to see that so many people think LGBT equal rights is some kind of "new" or "trendy" issue when the fight for LGBT equal rights has been going on for 50 years or more! Just because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

And what a slimy thing to do to use children (CPS issue) to make your point... So cheap.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

So you claim that because other things are happening all resources and efforts should be focussed on what YOU SPECIFICALLY think is important?

Please, tell my why you believe you are superior to all others and that only your cause matters, when clearly this cause matters to hundreds of thousands of LGBTQ people in both NC and Mississippi.

What makes you so special that the government should abandon everything else, and every person, politician, business and other entity should focus exclusively on what you want changed?

For the record, civil rights and the freedoms of others are not "trendy" issues. Would you say the same thing about the end of slavery? About women having the right to vote?

Oh, let me guess, that's somehow "different" to this because you don't have a problem with black people or women, it's only the LGBTQ people you think deserve to be treated like second class citizens?

The NBA, just like all those corporations, has a damn right to make a business decision, and you would claiming that right for those on "your side" when it suits you. You know this, I know it, everyone knows it. It's the same hypocrisy we see from the Conservatives all the damn time. It's totally okay when it's a bigoted business refusing service to someone for bigoted reasons, but totally unfair when it's a company supporting its employees and boycotting a bigoted state.

Like it or not, the NBA has employees to cater for and meet the needs of, and millions of $'s coming in from sponsors who would likely face major problems internationally for being associated to such a state.

As I said in another thread, a corporation like Coca Cola signs a sponsorship agreement with an event like this which includes clauses for protecting their brand from negative press. They would have a lot to lose, and they learned this absolutely from their involvement in the Sochi games.

Times have changed, the consumer has a lot more power now, one wrong move by a big company and millions of $'s can be knocked off their brand value overnight.

This is the public speaking, and you just don't like what the public is saying because it doesn't align with your political and religious views.
edit on 22-4-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

It brings to my mind how disappointing it is that people will go so far on trendy issues such as LGBT rights but they ignore the far more heinous crimes going on such as CPS stealing children:

Couple of things:

1. Basic Human rights aren't "Trendy".

2. Who says people can't focus on more than one social issue at once?

But since CPS isn't "Stealing Children", I have to agree with others here that you have attempted to highjack this thread to backdoor a personal gripe with CPS. Why not just start a thread about your CPS concerns?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

It's election season. The priority for the MSM is to promote issues that pit American against American. Issues that would unite citizens against the government will be marginalized, at best. Just settle in for a few more months race, gender, religion, class, culture, guns, etc. If you want to discus issues like government corruption, government overreach, what the Federal Reserve or the IMF are doing these days, or just how the American people are getting screwed in general, you'll have to wait. For now, just be a good little voter and find a reason to hate those "other guys" like everyone else.

join