It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bipartisan group of U.S. Senators urge NBA to move '17 All-Star Game

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

A bipartisan group of U.S. senators are urging the National Basketball Association to move the 2017 NBA All-Star Game away from Charlotte, North Carolina, because of a state law that limits protection for gay, lesbian and transgender people.

Democratic Sens. Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Patrick Leahy of Vermont, Cory Booker of New Jersey, Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin and Patty Murray of Washington state, along with Republican Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois, wrote to NBA commissioner Adam Silver on Tuesday.

The senators said they "hold no ill will toward the people of Charlotte" but cannot "stand idly by as North Carolina moves to legalize and institutionalize discrimination."
espn.go.com...

[sarcasm]This is what U.S. Senators should be focused on.[/sarcasm]

Who cares about the NBA all-star game when the world is coming apart at the seams?

The situation reminds me of a theory I posted recently:

IQ only measures capacity, consider the implications of that in terms of 'Idiocracy'

I believe Americans have completely lost touch with reality for the reasons discussed in the thread above and other reasons. I believe that was orchestrated intentionally by TPTB.

I think something happened that TPTB never saw coming. I don't think they ever thought that dumbing down the masses and attempting to destroy the health and well-being of the masses would end up destroying them as well.

They've been caught in their own spider's web so to speak. And, the really frightening thing is, just like everyone else, they're probably not even aware of what has happened.

I believe that it may be an irreparable problem. Add in Fukushima radiation and its effects and it probably is.
edit on 14-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Sports news is MUCH bigger than Fukushima/other important topics, so it's really no surprise (although it IS absolutely ridiculous that this is the case)

We need to clean house in Congress and set term limits, J.E.S.U.S.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Fighting for the rights of people especially the rights of minority people is a worthy and just fight. I applaud the actions of these senators.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I wonder why these senators didn't protest this year's NBA allstar game?
There was a single white man on either team!
Where is the diversity? It was apparently a problem at the oscars.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I'm trying to understand how fighting for freedom and equality in the US isn't important because of other things happening in the world.

Do you think we should just drop everything to focus solely on ISIS or whatever it is that has you concerned about the world "coming apart at the seams?"

If we, as a nation, are so impotent that we can't address multiple problems simultaneously, we might as well just surrender to the terrorists right now.

P.S. Was it your intent to derail your own thread by making it a treatise against multi-tasking and intelligence hindered by radiation in Fukushima, rather than the actual topic?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The NBA shouldn't discriminate against the people of North Carolina. It would be unfair to deny them service (or All-star games). They have rights, damnit!

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I'm trying to understand how fighting for freedom and equality in the US isn't important because of other things happening in the world.

Because this isn't about equality. It is about forcing an agenda on the people of North Carolina and it is BS that trans people's comfort should come before mine. Why do they get to be comfortable and I don't?

Regardless, this is an easy fix. Build all men's bathrooms with just urinals.

Problem solved.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Ask the billionaire team owners. They run the show. Not the coaches or the players.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Let each state run its state the way that state wants to the state.

Let the "equipment" be the deciding factor in what bathroom you go in.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
Let each state run its state the way that state wants to the state.

Let the "equipment" be the deciding factor in what bathroom you go in.

That is too much common sense for some people.

However, I agree with you.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

They make sound like this bathroom rule crushes the teams community.

I'm still on the fence about it. I'm not sure I would want my young daughter in the same bathroom with a man who wants to be a woman.

No all transgendered are homosexual

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Whaaauuuu?

[sarcasm]This is what U.S. Senators should be focused on.[/sarcasm]

Whew. Thank you. Yeah, this is so much nope not now Moon Moon...

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Wow and OMG, dude. You are a real piece of work....almost a caricature....

"Devil's Advocate", eh? oh wait ------ noooo ------your 'mini-name is "Devils Advocate" .....otherwise you'd have typed "Devil's Advocate" (as in - the advocate of the Devil).....but, you didn't. You typed: "Devils Advocate."

And so: Yes, indeed! Sometimes, devils DO advocate......devils advocate for all kinds of horrible things......except, there is no "Devil" as in "The Devil" red-suit-horns-pitchfork-goatsfooted.....no. The "devils" are people who don't give a rip about others and refuse to sign marriage licenses; those who whine about who is in the public restroom or wants a wedding cake....

so tragic.

Yeah. Devils do, indeed, advocate.

Seems to me you don't have sod-all to be upset about. Is this all just feigned ugliness?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
North carolina just needs to take it like a man, if you fear going to the bathroom, and create laws to protect your snowflake ways.

Money talks and people walk, good luck north carolina

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I think this is a stupid move on the part of the politicians.

I also think the politicians in North Carolina are idiots. The same politicians who cry and scream about branding all gun owners as terrorists, are right now, branding all transgender people as molesters.

Basically, I think all politicians are idiots.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What's the chance that everyone in NC agrees with the state law.

There is also the situation that the state and city will make money of the game. That's the biggest thing the state cares about with these type of events.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Fighting for the rights of people especially the rights of minority people is a worthy and just fight. I applaud the actions of these senators.

Me too.

I'd say Equal Rights, Gender Equality, etc is #1 on my list.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I wonder why these senators didn't protest this year's NBA allstar game?
There was a single white man on either team!
Where is the diversity? It was apparently a problem at the oscars.

Are players judged by their ability to play?

Or their skin color?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: dogstar23

Because this isn't about equality. It is about forcing an agenda on the people of North Carolina and it is BS that trans people's comfort should come before mine. Why do they get to be comfortable and I don't?

Forcing an agenda? As in Equal Rights Protection.

As opposed to forcing personal belief, unfounded accusations, and majority bullying.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I'm still on the fence about it. I'm not sure I would want my young daughter in the same bathroom with a man who wants to be a woman.

This bill is meant to target mostly students. Yes, students.

You are born transgender, like you are born homosexual. Its how the brain is wired.

Which means there are trans children.

There's been a lot in the media about trans children (from kindergarten, on up) using the restroom they identify with.

Paranoia is what is pushing this bill.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join