It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Community college is already free

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Property owners pay for a large part of public school infrastructure and costs.

bs, no, fact.
edit on 4/23/2016 by roadgravel because: tpo

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Oh here we go with this bs.

"BS"? You will pay for community college, whether you or your family attend or not, for your whole life as long as you live in a community served by one. I'm not arguing against having community colleges. I'm arguing against the crazy notion that they're "free". In the 20 years I've owned my present house I've paid about $10,000 for community colleges. Hardly "free".
edit on 23America/Chicago30America/ChicagoSat, 23 Apr 2016 13:48:45 -05001America/Chicago430 by Detergent because: clarification

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It has been a few years since I've last logged on, but I had to reply to your thread.

You claim community college is free and that everyone is eligible for the same grants that you received.

Most students are eligible to receive financial aid from the federal government to help pay for college or career school. Your age, race, or field of study won’t affect your eligibility for federal student aid. While your income is taken into consideration, it does not automatically prevent you from getting federal student aid.

studentaid.ed.gov...

First sentence.... "Most students are eligible"

Your argument is false.

Also, for a person that claims to have attended college, your grammar is horrible ETA - I see you apologized the next day for being a bit tipsy, so I'll chalk the grammar up to that, however the fact that not everyone is eligible for PELL grants is still true
edit on 23-4-2016 by kalisdad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I love when young persons take PoliSci 101 and "get it".

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

You have obviously been fortunate.

However, there is the larger issue regarding community college tuition for adults who have, for examples, lost their long time jobs or are suddenly single mothers or fathers who need training in something & fast. I will use myself for example. I found myself jobless so I decided to go to nursing school. Problem...nursing school is really expensive! Because I had already gone to college, I was not eligible for most grants & loans. Further more, because I am married, my husband's income was considered mine as well. His income barely covered the mortgage & bills. There was no way to pay $28K+/- for an accelerated RN program. I had the desire, ability & brain power but not the money. We are desperate for nurses here & they make it virtually cost prohibitive to take the courses.

Community colleges are partially funded by my taxes so why do I have to pay exorbitant tuition & ridiculous add-on fees?? I have no problem paying some tuition but making it cost prohibitive for people who need training & are trying not to be on welfare, is ridiculous. Why keep people in the welfare system when they really want to be working? Let's get these people get the education they need & want.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleBurgh

Oh I was tipsy when I wrote this thread but for the majority of kids coming out of college.

I definitely believe there needs to be a path to employment other than having to get new degrees for 50k.

The world is changing so rapidly this our current college to employment model will eventually be out dated as well just hold onto to your seats.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

PEL makes college free? Yeah right. They only covers a fraction of the actual, real life cost of college.

I did online school at Western Governors (to get another degree) and had almost the entire cost paid by grants.
edit on 9-6-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

and given that you can get a nursing license worth $30/hr with an associates degree....im not sure what the issue is.

But good point.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

PEL makes college free? Yeah right. They only covers a fraction of the actual, real life cost of college. Do you know how costly it is to go to college, and how many conditions there must be for eligibility for PEL in the first place?

No, PEL doesn't make college "free". Free means you don't have to spend a cent in the first place.

Speaking as a man who has graduated one son from Texas Tech, i know what you are talking about. Community college is MUCH cheaper than a 4 year university. If you are the type of person who would have a need to complaina bout the expense of college, you likely qualify for a PELL grant.

If not, or if you must attend a 4 year university, you can get Perkins loans, which become a grant if you become a teacher as an inner city or rural high school.

someone who is hungry to get a better life has options. they may not be "pick of the litter"....but there is nothing wrong with teaching and nursing.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join