It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pandering for votes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

It irks me when those in an authority position make such remarks.

It irks me when someone assigns authority based solely on skin tone. Perhaps that should us even.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator
a reply to: reldra

White privilege is not a made up thing

Well the term is made up.
Much like any other terminology used by SJWs.
Is their such a thing as black privilege? I could use some of that.

Obviously, someone made the term up to describe the concept. Any concept has a term to describe it. Has nothing to do with SJWs.

I am not sure about black privilege. I don't have a point of reference. That is not to say it doesn't exist in any form. That would be a new conversation.
edit on 19-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It irks me when someone assigns authority based solely on skin tone. Perhaps that should us even.

I wasn't answering you and my comment had nothing to do with skin tone. Why would that make us even?

I would love to see this odd rant thing go on...but I am off to Wartune. Have fun guys
be nice to one another.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

I don't think we see divisions until someone else points them out to us.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Oh good lord. I took a look at that and it's an obviously a "victim" quiz. Basically, if you're a white, straight, male, you're "privileged".
There are days I want to plant a boot so far up these "poor little victims" ass they'll taste leather. This happens to be one of those days and they keep getting more frequent.
Opps. Forgot. Words are scary and now they've run to their safe place.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I was in the middle of reading this and had to stop to check my privilege... I apologize in advance.

White privilege is not a made up thing, but I don't think people should be 'stopping to check it' constantly. It should be taken seriously, not as a thing to make fun of like it is a 'buzz word'.

Lots of things and people irk me. It's life. We get over it or we don't.

And yeah... it IS the new "thing". If people didn't want it to be a buzz word then they shouldn't just pull it out and use it only when it's handy. Hillary lecturing ANYONE on ANYTHING having to do with privilege is a joke of the highest order. Yet there she was with the audience eating it up as if she has ever known anything other than privilege herself. That's why folks treat it like a joke.

If others sleep better at night mentally self flagellating themselves over things they were born with (race, sex, etc.) and had no control over... they can be my guest.

I certainly won't be joining them. Not now, nor in the future.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Obviously, someone made the term up to describe the concept. Any concept has a term to describe it. Has nothing to do with SJWs.

Well yes but the concept itself is made up... The term writes off legitimate racism by conflating the two terms as being synonymous. Also the word privilege presupposes that something is enforcing this privilege to exist in the first place. Is society enforcing this social inequality? Possibly but it seems to be only small segments of the population that do. e.g white nationalists and supremacists. They don't have the political power they once did prior to the 60's so the privilege is coming from trivial and mundane places that no one should take seriously.

I am not sure about black privilege. I don't have a point of reference. That is not to say it doesn't exist in any form. That would be a new conversation.

If white privilege exists in majority white populations,it exists in majority black populations.
But I think in regards to northern Africa,the proper term might be "Muslim" privilege.
As anyone who isn't Muslim is dehumanized. Jews being a good example of this treatment.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Not only do we SEE division, we detect differences from , dress/fashion, syntax, sexual preference, economic status, etc.

Then we make snap judgments, and break out the broad brush and start painting.

We are a divided nation if this political rodeo is any indication....and you damn well know it!

But it's not the differences per se...it's how we react to them.
edit on 19-4-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No your right about that, I guess it's relative to the individual or group...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

DBCowboy isn't entirely wrong...
One example I can bring up where differences aren't known until they're pointed out.

Children. Children lack that concept and it isn't until their exposed to this way of thinking by their parents,people of authority and even peers. Then they emulate this behavior and it becomes second nature.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Fine. How about we don't acknowledge the differences, until they are accentuated!

(sheesh, write a rant and still get #!)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I certainly know without a doubt I would have gotten in a lot more trouble for some of the stunts I've pulled had I not been white.

Just sayin'.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

That's nice. While on the other side I have never been given a break on a ticket, court case, job or anything else in my life and I am white AND a female.

Not everyone is privileged regardless of race, sex, or anything else.

Just sayin'.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Fine. How about we don't acknowledge the differences, until they are accentuated!

(sheesh, write a rant and still get #!)

Right....

It's not like you haven't dished out your share of divisive rhetoric....we all have and it's only going to get worse.

We don't need to be prompted to get thick with other members. I think our ideologies are hard wired in our dna...contemporary tribalism expressing itself thru political choices, cultural differences, race, everything.

I detest rap "music"....no one told me to....i just do!!!
edit on 19-4-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Maybe. I didn't come here though to sing kumbay-yah.

But I still recognize rhetoric and division simply because I have employed it.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Oh it's not "white privilge" anymore. It's "white fragility". You can read the journal article here.

Abstract

White people in North America live in a social environment that protects and insulates them from race-based stress. This insulated environment of racial protection builds white expectations for racial comfort while at the same time lowering the ability to tolerate racial stress, leading to what I refer to as White Fragility. White Fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium. This paper explicates the dynamics of White Fragility.

And I was never given a "break" either, but I certainly didn't get excessive fines/fees/jail time like some of my black friends have.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I'll keep the new catch phrase in mind so that I don't have to google it next time I see it.

I think some personal experiences have to do with location, location, location. And also how much money you were born into. Struggling daily to just live around others that share that struggle... none of us feel as if we are privileged over the other because we are all in the same boat. I don't see any white privilege where I live or where I grew up simply because of that. I have seen plenty of elitist arsehole privilege though and the color of that didn't/doesn't seem to make a damn to any of us at the time.

The world turns on different opinions and experiences. Obviously we have had some different ones between us.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Right and wrong.

Of course, we notice differences in each other, but the question is the weight we assign to them.

Are they a reason to create a class of "otherness" in your head or are they no more significant than the fact that you might like red while I might like blue?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Really?! You think the kids on those college campuses are "insulated" from racial stress as BLM marches around and denigrates them for basically being born the wrong color?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Suzy is a warm and caring girl. She likes cars and kittens. She is extremely talented in gymnastics and in math. That's how we used to describe Suzy. These days Suzy is a half-black girl of Caribbean descent who is a lesbian with ADHD.

Must be a different Suzy from the one I know

The one I know had folks that came over on the Mayflower - and she's definitely a DAR

Proud of both - she tells us so all the time

Ain't nuthin' new under the sun

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join