It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Cut a Glass Bottle Using Only Liquids - Brilliant Video!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth Place a piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper over a sponge in a tray of water, invert bottle and twist back and forth. Should take the sharpness out. Power tools cause too much heat and on glass the results can be very hazardous

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
A kerosine lamp shade made from an old sunkist bottle would be pretty neat. Even a coke bottle would work good. I have cases of old soda bottles.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: cody599
a reply to: theantediluvian

Thanks

I'm thinking of buying half or third sized bottles, only to get through them quicker, turn a month project into a few days LOL

Cody *Hic*

You might be able to get them at the local bars or recycle centers. I saw some of these videos last week and I'm going to get a bunch of wine bottles to make some cool glasses and oil lamps. The projects are endless. Thanks OP, that is the easiest so far.

Here's a vid on projects and sanding the glass

edit on 19-4-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justacasualobserver
a reply to: Realtruth Place a piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper over a sponge in a tray of water, invert bottle and twist back and forth. Should take the sharpness out. Power tools cause too much heat and on glass the results can be very hazardous

good point. Hand polishing is always the safest bet.

The pads I was referring to are for polishing concrete, marble or granite and the RPM are typically low, so if someone is skilled enough it shouldn't cause any issues.

I don't know why I said high speed, the high speed actually mars the stone surfaces. And as you say can be hazardous.

edit on 19-4-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I remember my ex making glasses out of old wine bottles, she had a special glass cutter to take the neck off. She would carefully use my torch to smooth the edges. Using a glass polisher sound much safer.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
We cut a lot of bottles at my parent's place. I suppose if you are looking for nice smooth edges, this or the heating element method are a good way to go.

If you must cut thousands of bottles though, there is no better method than a wet tile-saw. It is by far the fastest, easiest way. Also, the added water on the blade keeps glass dust to a minimum.

My Dad's Channel

Here is a link to my Dad's channel, if you might wander why somebody would need to cut thousands of bottles.

And to Cody599

The wife and I are looking for ideas to personalise our first real home together, ironically she's a science teacher LOL. This is perfect to help us.

There might be some cheap and fun ideas in those videos for you to try at your place.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

The simple ideas are usually the best.

Nice one OP, thanks.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: cody599
a reply to: theantediluvian

Good thinking stout the

Thanks

I'm thinking of buying half or third sized bottles, only to get through them quicker, turn a month project into a few days LOL

Cody *Hic*

You might be able to get them at the local bars or recycle centers. I saw some of these videos last week and I'm going to get a bunch of wine bottles to make some cool glasses and oil lamps. The projects are endless. Thanks OP, that is the easiest so far.

Here's a vid on projects and sanding the glass

Good thinking Stout

I'll have an ask around, although I was looking forward to the emptying my own part LOL

Cody

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Thanks for the heads up Bob

I'll have a look after work, always open to new and fresh ideas.

Cody

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

You're dad is my kind of guy. We think along similar lines.

I have a Dewalt tile saw, and a large 2 1/2 horse brick saw, and never thought to cut a bottle with it. I guess if if goes through porcelain like butter it would work for glass. Going to give it a try.

Great video's and idea's thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

A simple expansion and contraction video?

A little common sense?

Buddy I'm a chemical engineer and I was shocked by the video and eager to learn the method--a little humility goes a long way, try it.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: mmshelt

A simple expansion and contraction video?

A little common sense?

Buddy I'm a chemical engineer and I was shocked by the video and eager to learn the method--a little humility goes a long way, try it.

I agree especially when boasting about your title as a "chemical engineer".

Let us all know how your trials go for this one. Thanks for your input.

There's a lot of tounge and cheek/sarcastic comments I make on ATS, this thread is no different.
edit on 20-4-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Wtf? That's awesome. I'm going straight home after work and doing this.
With my luck, though, I may burn my house down.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
If all you want to do is get rid of the sharp edge, and have no care for how 'polished' it looks, use 140 grit.

If you want the polished look, 140-400-Cork.

If you use a die grinder, medium density rubber drum or softer. Softer gives more leeway in operator use, but does make it harder for a consistent finish.

If you want glass specific products, try CR Laurence.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

BS is easily spotted. How can u even believe in such video when u claim to be a nerd. Do you belive cellphones can pop popcorn too?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Here is the same principle for glass cutting with heat and water, but with a couple of different heat sources.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

A video on how to cut glass safely...look Mah...NO HANDS!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Nice find!!

Nearly burnt down the garage with the string and acetone version!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015

Do you belive cellphones can pop popcorn too?

You mean they can't? hmm

I'm sending my cellphone back for a refund now.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join