It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Cut a Glass Bottle Using Only Liquids - Brilliant Video!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Youtube can be overwhelming with all the crap people post, but every once in awhile we find something that stands way out from everything else. This video is one of them.

Many of us have seen the string, score, and high speed cutters cut glass, but this idea is simply brilliant.

The theory and mechanics behind the idea are as follows:

Oil transfers heat from metal piece quickly and moves it to glass, glass expands but only in place where the oil is in contact with glass, water cools down rest of the glass, or keeps it constant and the glass breaks apart, at the point of contact. The temperature differential makes a perfect cut like we see here in the video.

I can't wait to try this one.

And yes I'm a nerd

edit on 19-4-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Very interesting!

I saw a guy doing the same with a heated wire, then dunking it in water, that worked okay, but this seems more efficient.
edit on 19-4-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

link   
Great video and something we can all do at home easily. Thanks for sharing OP.

link   
What kind of oil are they using? Oil comes in many types.

Also what about the temp of the water? Cool? Cold? Room temp?

This is a science based method and uses a particular set of parameters to achieve. I hate when important details are left out in these types of videos.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Genius

Now my drinking glasses will be made from the very bottles that the drink comes in. It may take a day or two, but I'll replace every glass for the bar

Cody

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich
What kind of oil are they using? Oil comes in many types.

Also what about the temp of the water? Cool? Cold? Room temp?

This is a science based method and uses a particular set of parameters to achieve. I hate when important details are left out in these types of videos.

He give the oil types in the link on Youtube and as for the water temp?

Looks to me like water is room temperature, or most likely ambient, as well as the air, depending on where you live. The experiment is a simple expansion and contraction video, so a little basic common sense will go a long way in this one.

Also Roman has a link to his website and how to reach him, I'm sure he would answer you back if you asked the exact temps.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Can you take some pics when you are done? We'd love to see the results Cody.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

If you need some help, I'm certain you will find enough willing to assist.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

That's a good idea!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

Can you take some pics when you are done? We'd love to see the results Cody.

Will do

I'm moving house in the near future and looking for innovative ideas to remove my mindset from the dump of a town I live in right now.

The wife and I are looking for ideas to personalise our first real home together, ironically she's a science teacher LOL. This is perfect to help us.

My thanks

Cody

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

If you need some help, I'm certain you will find enough willing to assist.

You're in the UK.............................Come and lend a hand

As soon as I move, and bring a sledge hammer

Cody

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I remember seeing something similar to this before only with motor oil, placed inside the bottle. The gist of it was, fill the bottle with motor oil to about where you want it to cut minus a little bit for displacement and then heat up a metal rod until it's glowing red and then dip it in the oil and wait about 15-20 seconds.

If I'm not mistaken, what is happening here is the oil is transferring the heat to the portion of the bottle that it's in contact with faster than it can dissipate, causing it to rapidly expand while the rest of the bottle does not which results in the sheering along a line at the level of the oil.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Thanks

I'm thinking of buying half or third sized bottles, only to get through them quicker, turn a month project into a few days LOL

Cody *Hic*

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: cody599

Genius

Now my drinking glasses will be made from the very bottles that the drink comes in. It may take a day or two, but I'll replace every glass for the bar

Cody

I am assuming the edges of the glass, while clean cut, will still be very sharp.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I gotta try that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: cody599

Genius

Cody

I am assuming the edges of the glass, while clean cut, will still be very sharp.

iTruthSeeker

Thought of that LOL

I have a tool at work for smoothing and polishing glass edges, just as important is to not leave glass dust, it was an ancient way to kill if memory serves.

Cody

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
That was just too cool for school. Gotta try that!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

iTruthSeeker

Not that big of a deal provided someone knows how to use diamond impregnated polishing pads/wheel, with a bit of water, and a high-speed drill or grinder.

edit on 19-4-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I'll bet this guy knew about this all along ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join