It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sprained Ankle Advice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I don't know how I've avoided being hurt this far into my life, but I'm totally a newbie to this.

Long story short: I almost fell down a set of deathly narrow basement stairs at someone's house----that stairway could be in a horror movie----and my ankle stopped me from probably serious injury at the bottom----or even worse. I caught myself.

I have swelling on both sides of the ankle. It's pretty swollen but not too dramatically. I've been doing Advil regularly, and ice and elevation. It's day 2 and I can get into the kitchen okay for something quick to eat but I'm mostly couch-bound.

Is it normal for both sides to swell? I haven't gone to the doctor. I'm alone at home as hubby is away so.... Here I am.

Since 2,800 people sprain their ankle a day.... Maybe someone out there can give me some advice.

I need to get better fast!!! And God, this really bites!
edit on 19-4-2016 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

Just walk it off.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Is there a way to decide if it's broken ?!

link   

I am sorry this has happened to you,

rest, icing, compression and elevation!

Feel better friend

link   

Hey MRuss - yup, have had several nasty sprains. Totally normal. I've also had a broken ankle - let me tell you, sprains hurt more!

You're doing everything correct. It may take two to three weeks for the swelling to go down. Rest is huge, just stay off it as much as you can. Do you have one of those elastic wrap bandages for support, something to use as a crutch(s)?

If you have arnica that helps to cool the heat of the pain and it acts as a pain reliever and helps with inflammation. Even some type of cooling gel that you might help is very soothing when the foot aches and has the pain heat radiating outward.

You'll have a lovely rainbow of colours to come. I'm sorry, I can't think of anything else to add other than the bandage which really helps. It's just a matter of time other than what you're already doing.

Good luck! So glad you didn't end up worse on those stairs.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
A buddy of mine sprained his ankle playing rugby a few weeks back. His "Remedy" was this:

30 mins of ice-pack followed by 30 mins of soaking in warm/hot water (Not too hot you will burn yourself). Obviously your ice pack or whatever you use will melt, and the warm/hot water will cool down so try and keep on top of that if you can.

Let your ankle get back to normal temp then repeat a couple times over. And of course rest it!

Now, I am no doctor so I have no idea if this is medically a good idea, but it worked for him!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Unless you see something poking up (like a dislocated bone) then you can't really tell. The foot has so many bones. Mine pop out of joint all the time. But again, after several horrible sprains and x-rays I've never broken any bones (in the foot, but did break the ankle). My husband had a slight fracture of the top of his foot two years ago but it was so slight they wouldn't do surgery and there was like a "triangle" shape bone profusion. It eventually went down.
Each person is different. I would say if you can to get an x-ray just to rule out anything broken. If you decide not to get an x-ray then if the swelling hasn't gone down noticeably in about a week and a half then I'd say something might be broken. Due to the swelling right now it's almost impossible without the x-ray.
edit on 19/4/16 by ccseagull because: added more info

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

Thank you!

How soon can I walk on it do ya think!? Should I worry if it's broken? Did you go to doctor or just heal on your own?

Did your ankle ever swell on both sides? Does that mean anything?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Last year I twisted my foot, ended up being a Jones Fracture. 5 tiny bones in my foot cracked.

The Dr. told me sorry we cannot cast your foot. All you can do...rest, icing, compression and elevation.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

No problem. Yes my ankle swelled both sides but one side always hurt more and was a tad larger if that makes sense. Don't walk on it for now as a sprain is a torn ligament and so if you walk on it you are impeding the healing process. The ligament may be stretched or the fibres ripped. Depends on the severity. So crutches are a huge help for the healing and they take all pressure off the foot. Even with crutches your foot dangles and the blood pools in that limb which already has blood pooling so it is extremely painful.

I was in high school each time - and so went for x-rays each time. Always told it was just a severe strain. And of course when I broke my ankle I tried to stand on it but it was like standing on a wet strange of spaghetti.

Honestly I would say it'll be a month before you can really take any decent steps on that foot. I'm sorry for bad news. You really can't do anything and feel helpless and even going to the bathroom becomes a huge ordeal. Keep it wrapped with support (but not too tight - you just want the support). It might even help to make yourself a brace of some sort to keep the foot still.

This is horrible for you to be alone at this time. Make yourself a nest: meds/drinks/snacks/books/tv and stay put if you can for a while. The first week is the hardest.

P.S. I added to my last comment (about possible broken bones).

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

If your ankle is swollen on the inside and out, and you can't put any pressure on it, there's a chance it's a 3rd degree sprain. Recovery can take 1-3 months in total.

I would advise you see a doctor, as there could be a fracture. Better safe than sorry.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
I don't know how I've avoided being hurt this far into my life, but I'm totally a newbie to this.

Long story short: I almost fell down a set of deathly narrow basement stairs at someone's house----that stairway could be in a horror movie----and my ankle stopped me from probably serious injury at the bottom----or even worse. I caught myself.

I have swelling on both sides of the ankle. It's pretty swollen but not too dramatically. I've been doing Advil regularly, and ice and elevation. It's day 2 and I can get into the kitchen okay for something quick to eat but I'm mostly couch-bound.

Is it normal for both sides to swell? I haven't gone to the doctor. I'm alone at home as hubby is away so.... Here I am.

Since 2,800 people sprain their ankle a day.... Maybe someone out there can give me some advice.

I need to get better fast!!! And God, this really bites!

Stay of it a far as weight but as the pain subsides a little in the next few days make sure you move it around . As a former NCAA wrestler and Judoka I can tell you I did it alot. The old days of keeping it immobile are over. The healing process needs blood circulation. Thats part of the intermittent hot and cold pack idea when it's too sore to move.

If your a dude doing things to help boost your testosterone naturally will also help.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Quantum12 - I've never heard of a Jones Fracture so I had to look it up. You poor thing!! That's where my bones dislocate on both feet every now and then. Of course I used to have a weird habit of cracking those bones by rotating my foot on the floor and then pressing down. But oh the pain - INDESCRIBABLE!!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Sorry to hear you hurt yourself.

Did you hear a snapping cracking sound? If so it was a ligament. I did mine playing netball, I went straight down after hearing the cracking whip sound it never healed back properly for years until I injured it a second time in Tae Kwon Do training (yeah I am a major klutz) and for some reason it healed back properly, but it takes months to settle, I'd have an X-ray if you can as a break is preferable and easier to reset.

Ice, heat alternates, strap it and elevate. II would suggest strapping it in the following format so it supports your ankle properly for about 8-12 weeks. The extra stability is needed for lateral ligament tear (but check with your doc what actually was damaged)

Rest up!

link   

Oh the pain was so bad. I took Advil only. My doctor wanted me to take a strong pain rx pill. I told him no. The last thing I need is an addiction to pain pills knowing me I would be hooked LOL

link   

More about Your Injury

Most foot sprains happen due to sports or activities in which your body twists and pivots but your feet stay in place. Some of these sports include football, snowboarding, and dance.

There are three levels of foot sprains.

Grade I, minor. You have small tears in the ligaments.
Grade II, moderate. You have large tears in the ligaments.
Grade III, severe. The ligaments have completely torn from the bone.

www.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Is there a way to decide if it's broken ?!

Yes, if the patient goes on ATS to ask if their ankle is broken, it is not broken.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Thanks everyone so much!

I hope it's not a third degree sprain! I also have a pain that goes up my leg a bit when I move my foot.

It seems to hurt more today than yesterday. Today is Day 2

You guys are the best! Thank you!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
best advice for a sprained ankle is honestly to just walk it off.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

What number sprain did you have? 1,2 3

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join