It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sprained Ankle Advice

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

I thought it was a sprain. The X-Ray showed 5 cracks on the bone. Ouch.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
If you can get your hands on one of those curved bottom medical boots, that will allow you to walk or put weight on it earlier. I have had to use mine a few times. Sprained it so bad the first time it bruised to my toes and swelled up like a grapefruit within 15 minutes. It has never been the same since, and my doctor told me would always be weak.

Also, for the swelling, soak a paper bag in apple cider vinegar and wrap it around the foot, while elevated. It is supposed to help with the swelling.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

You and I would rub coconut oil in the sprain!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I had weak ankles and they would give out when I was playing basketball in my younger days, (very painful). They do sell ankle supports at drug stores which may give you some relief. Alternating with Ice and Heat is what I was always told to do. Applying heat and than a few hours later apply ice. Elevate it and keeping weight off it.

I know ankle sprains can be quite painful. My whole ankle would get black and blue! Healing takes awhile. I hope this helps.

edit on 19-4-2016 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2016 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Massage With Coconut Oil

Source. At the bottom

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Eh, it can't hurt, right? At least the bruised skin would be supple and soft!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I broke and sprained an ankle 15-ish years ago. It wasn't nearly as bad as the ankle sprain from Summer of 2014. Short story: I fell into a 4-foot hole with jagged rocks at the bottom. My ankle folded toward the outside of my leg (worse way to sprain than toward the inside.) The ER doc and orthopedic doctor both said they had never seen a sprain that bad which didn't include multiple fractures. It was DIS-GUS-TING (or awesome, depending on your level of warpedness) looking.

Here's what I was told by a really top-notch Ortho doctor (one of the few doctors who I actually trust) and what I did:

Anti-Inflammatories (Advil) for 3 days at most - yes, they reduce inflammation, but they also slow healing.

(R)ICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation -

(R) I put the 'R' in parentheses, because I really didn't follow that one. It was summer, and my son had just turned 2 years old. I wasn't about to sit the summer away. Maybe I just have Mutant (Wolverine) healing factor, but I feel as though using it (with support) is how I healed extraordinarily fast - but do what's comfortable for you. Don't push through excruciating pain though, as you might cause further damage. "Listen" to your body.

I was supposed to use crutches for 6 weeks. I felt like I was probably going to wind up in a body cast trying to use crutches, so I ditched them after 2 days and used a cane instead. I highly recommend using a cane, as it works, it's easy, and it's kind of awesome to walk with a cane. It was actually pretty funny...one day, simultaneously, my next-door neighbor (who is 80+) was walking in with her cane after getting her mail, I was walking in from the garage with my cane, and the neighbor's daughter (probably 40-ish years old) across the street was just arriving to visit her parents - walking with a broken ankle and a cane! I told my next-door neighbor she was starting a trend.

I - Ice the living hell out of it. Don't try holding an ice pack on it, or duct-taping an ice-bag around your ankle. It'll just piss you off as it keeps falling. Get a big enough bucket (I used the plastic battery box for my sump pump back-up battery, as it was plenty long enough and deep enough), fill it with ice water - not a little ice, a LOT of ice. The cold is brutal for the first several minutes. If it's warm outside, sit out in the sun. I was lucky enough to spend my 2 weeks of icing out in 90+ degree heat. It actually felt nice lol. Do this OFTEN, several times a day.

C - Compression - if you're not going for an X-Ray / MRI (which, if you're walking on it, albeit with pain, I'd say it's most likely a sprain and not a break) - at least get yourself a good air-cast/walking boot (there's a huge selection on Amazon, and of course, you can have it delivered to your door rather than hobbling out to the store to maybe find one.) - The air cast will give you compression, the walking boot will provide support for, well, walking.

E - Elevation - when you're sitting/laying down, keep your ankle high - above your heart is best, but any elevation is better than none. When you're sitting, at least have your leg parallel to the ground. Use an ottoman or coffee table, or better yet, with a pillow or two on top of it. It's better for the circulation than dangling down by the floor.

I did find that starting to walk in the morning was horrible, after not using it for all those hours. Once I got going, it wasn't so bad. Once you've healed to the degree that you can do strengthening/stretching exercises, do them. Religiously. And do them for longer than you feel you need to. I felt like I was at 90% in 4 weeks. 95% probably took 4 months. I didn't feel I was at 100% for a full year.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You are doing exactly right, to ice, elevate it and taking Advil. Walking around with crutches is OK just do not put a lot of weight on it until the swelling has gone down. It will take several day, maybe a week.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I sprained my ankle really bad and it sucked. What you need to remember is RICE: Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Also, keep off of it. You'll only make things worse walking on it. Get yourself some crutches. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell you.

By the way, have you been to the doctor for it? The reason I ask is that my sister was moving recently. She was carrying boxes into the basement and missed a step and came down hard. At first she thought she'd sprained an ankle. Nope. She broke a bone that people usually don't break. It's called the navicular bone; not sure if I spelled that right. What happened is when her ankle and foot twisted and came down, the bone pulled out and broke in two. Anyway, get that checked out if you haven't already. This is where that bone is, right above the arrow.

edit on 19-4-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

sounds like you tore some ligaments in the foot.

do you need a doctor? probably. Will you survive without one? certainly, unless you get something odd like cellulitis or something that gets infected. but not likely to cause problems.

the most likely risk: it'll hurt like hell when it rains in the future, and your NBA career is over.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I believe there are 3 navicular bones (first/second/third).

one of those bones that you can break and survive to hunt again. But painful. I broke one in high school and was off my feet for about a month.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about your injury. If this is day 2 and you still can't put weight on it then I would consider going to the doctor. At the very least he/she will be able to wrap it and give you some crutches so to keep weight off of it.

I've never heard of swelling on both sides of the joint. It doesn't mean that can't happen but it makes me think you might have something more than a simple sprain. I'm not saying it's broken (and I don't mean to scare you) but there are a number of tendons and ligaments down there that could've been affected.

In my experience (and I've sprained both ankles numerous times) the worst part is that the joint will be weakened and you will be prone to spraining the same ankle again. I was on crutches for about a week after the first time.

Again, and this is just my opinion, you should get it checked out.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
I heard it was painful. The doctor was actually surprised she didn't go to the emergency room, as most people would have passed out from the pain - his words. She thought it was a sprain.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I broke an ankle jumping a fence, while running from the cops once. I knew it was broken because I heard it break.

It took 2 weeks to get a doctor's appointment. They told me it was just sprained. I asked if he was sure, because I was there when it happened and I hear it break.

A week later they called me back and said they screwed up, that it was broken....No snip.

So they gave me a cheapo air cast thing. Pretty useless. So I just gimped around the whole time until fixed itself.

So, yeah. You can walk, you'll be fine.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Soak it in epson salt.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Omg! That's what I'm afraid of. It was a bad fall and my foot is swollen over the whole foot.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Wow! Great response! This couldn't have happened at a more horrible time in my life. I've got a lot going on.

So, right now I'm at the point where I have to decide whether I broke it because it looks pretty messed up and sometimes it's hard to tell if it's sprained or broken.

If the swelling isn't a little better tomorrow I'll go to emergency care. I think I'm into a boot rather than crutches.... I'm not being a baby but I'm getting the "uh oh" feeling and think I need to get it checked out.

Thanks for all the awesome info!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

If your are in the USA and want to save money. Call your Dr. Have your Dr. Fax a rx for a X-ray to a hospital radiation dept. do not goto ER. Goto the rad dept tell them your dr faxed a rx for X-ray

They will X-ray and send the results to your dr.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I sprained the heck out of mine, and my foot swelled up about three sizes. It was a bad sprain. I was put on crutches for about three or four days. My son thought his mom was awesome because she got to ride the disabled carts at all the stores (we beeped backing up!). I was to keep it elevated and do 30 on, 30 off with ice packs when at home and since I have prescription strength Naproxen for migraine anyhow, they just told me to start taking that regularly instead of as needed until the swelling started to go down. They did give me pain pills, but I didn't use any except for one when I accidentally stepped wrong in those early days (hurts worse than the first sprain does). They also gave me one of those gel caste things that I could put on it for support once I started getting around again. I wound up wearing it to go out and about and actually when I slept to stabilize my ankle in bed.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

If your are in the USA and want to save money. Call your Dr. Have your Dr. Fax a rx for a X-ray to a hospital radiation dept. do not goto ER. Goto the rad dept tell them your dr faxed a rx for X-ray

They will X-ray and send the results to your dr.

Yep, that's the best idea. Unless you do yours at 3pm the day after Christmas and are trying to get out of town. Then the ER it is ...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join