It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court to Hear Case on Protecting Illegal Immigrants From Deportation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It's likely the lower court ruling will stand.

Obama will be defeated.

Liberal justices voiced support for Obama's action. The conservatives sounded skeptical. A 4-4 decision would be a grim defeat for Obama because it would uphold lower court rulings that threw out his action last year and doom his quest to revamp a U.S. immigration policy he calls broken.

U.S. top court appears unlikely to revive Obama immigration plan

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Vector99

Legal and proper is only defined by the stroke of a pen, mate.

You are correct, and currently that pen stroke says what they did is illegal. Even if all forms of immigration suddenly became legal with no process other than showing up and saying "here I am!" they would still be criminals because when they did it it was illegal.

Ask the people in Colorado that are still in prison for marijuana about that.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Whatever happens happens. All it takes is a pen stroke to change all that. Like I said, I'll go with everyone else' decision. I see the moral problems of deporting them, but I also understand the legal reason for doing it. FURTHERMORE, I also recognize that there will likely be some severe economic consequences as a result of deporting all these people. Though change does not happen without sacrifice. But we must also consider the significant expansion of government to accomplish this goal as well.

Ask the people in Colorado that are still in prison for marijuana about that.

And guess who's pen is changing that?
edit on 18-4-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't think deporting them would cause severe economical consequences, there are plenty of unemployed people in America that can and would fill those positions.

And guess who's pen is changing that?

I've never been an Obama hater, I think what he's doing in that sense is great actually.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

I don't think deporting them would cause severe economical consequences, there are plenty of unemployed people in America that can and would fill those positions.

You say that, but then when real world examples of this happens, what I said happens. So yeah. Feel free to prove these words. I've already proven my position, or at least I've provided more evidence than you have for your premise. Depending on how you want to look at it.

I've never been an Obama hater, I think what he's doing in that sense is great actually.

I know right? Kind of wish that number was higher, but alas, these things take time.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

You say that, but then when real world examples of this happens, what I said happens. So yeah. Feel free to prove these words. I've already proven my position, or at least I've provided more evidence than you have for your premise. Depending on how you want to look at it.

I honestly can't find any recent real world examples of mass deportation and the cause/effect of it. (other than that obvious one though not really recent). Care to point me in a direction?

I know right? Kind of wish that number was higher, but alas, these things take time.

I think it's low because he can only pardon federal crimes, not state crimes. I actually looked into that before a bit

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I honestly can't find any recent real world examples of mass deportation and the cause/effect of it. (other than that obvious one though not really recent). Care to point me in a direction?

There were several sources posted previously in the thread by me and Aazadan about recent laws that were passed in Alabama and Georgia that caused many illegals to leave the state. This resulted in a HUGE disaster for the food industry because the states ended up with unreliable workers or no workers at all.

I think it's low because he can only pardon federal crimes, not state crimes. I actually looked into that before a bit

Makes sense.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

History has shown, just a couple years ago that $15 and $20 an hour wasn't enough to get unemployed Americans into the fields to pick crops. They finally got the work done right on the verge of total bankruptcy by the farms through conscripting prison labor to do it.

There aren't any recent examples of mass deportation, but the anti immigration laws passed a couple years ago were enough to get the farms to not hire illegal labor, which is effectively the same thing since the only people available to hire were those who were here legally. It ended in absolute disaster with billions in economic losses and the use of slave labor to salvage the situation.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Where is this thread? I'm seriously interested, because the bit of looking I did do in the last few minutes showed me that the Feds completely gutted that bill and illegal labor was back as quick as they left. I even saw a doosie of a quote of one local farmer saying the locals were having a hard time passing background checks. If that isn't just some damn irony i don't know what is.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Where is this thread? I'm seriously interested, because the bit of looking I did do in the last few minutes showed me that the Feds completely gutted that bill and illegal labor was back as quick as they left. I even saw a doosie of a quote of one local farmer saying the locals were having a hard time passing background checks. If that isn't just some damn irony i don't know what is.

They did repeal it, because of disastrous consequences. Legal workers wouldn't go in the fields so they had no choice, prison labor worked as an emergency measure but it's not sustainable long term. The states were forced to repeal the legislation that got rid of their work force.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

The state didn't repeal it, the Feds kept it from being enacted for the most part. I think the part of it allowing/requiring police to check immigrant status of suspected illegals is what killed most of it, and that I can agree with. That is like stop and frisk, and well HELL NO to that. I really would like to read the thread you guys made to get some more info, but the small bit I've looked into it since it was mentioned, it really didn't impact Alabama's GDP whatsoever, and was never fully enacted long enough to determine a true impact.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

The state didn't repeal it, the Feds kept it from being enacted for the most part. I think the part of it allowing/requiring police to check immigrant status of suspected illegals is what killed most of it, and that I can agree with. That is like stop and frisk, and well HELL NO to that. I really would like to read the thread you guys made to get some more info, but the small bit I've looked into it since it was mentioned, it really didn't impact Alabama's GDP whatsoever, and was never fully enacted long enough to determine a true impact.

I don't remember the thread on it, just the articles. I linked a few. The state only lost a few million, but that's because they stepped in with convict labor, it was on the verge of being billions in damages because no one could find workers for the fields.

The only difference between deportation and this law was that this one was easier to reverse.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Wow... seems like every day I feel like I am living in interesting times... what a curse...

Be interesting to see if the supreme court decides illegal doesn't mean illegal will that be one of the catalysts that lead to civil unrest.

Its funny how anyone opposed to illegal immigrants are typically painted as white racists... yet the biggest and loudest opponents I know to illegal immigration are Legal Immigrants.

Word.

I used to have a guy from Bolivia on my crew... he f**king HATES illegal immigrants, because they piss all over the rules, and the process. He came here legally, went through the motions, paid the money, took the tests...he did everything right, and they just waltz over the border, drop anchor, and that's that.. i believe it was about 20 minutes, he went on about how much he dislikes these people, lol.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
To be honest. I really don't care. I'm not afraid of immigrants taking my job. Nor do I care to punish them. But I certainly also understand that they broke the law. So if everyone insists on deporting them, then so be it, but I have no intention of pushing the issue.

Ok, i'm legitimately curious... I'm not trying to be a dick, or start a fight, or anything like that.

The gist of this statement, as i'm reading it, is pretty much: "My job isn't in danger, so f**k everyone else. Until it effects me, i don't give a toss."

Now, am i reading this right?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
Ok, i'm legitimately curious... I'm not trying to be a dick, or start a fight, or anything like that.

The gist of this statement, as i'm reading it, is pretty much: "My job isn't in danger, so f**k everyone else. Until it effects me, i don't give a toss."

Now, am i reading this right?

I read that different. I read it as, if you want to live in a society that tries to compete economically, then start competing rather than crying that someone else is more attractive to employers than you are.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Well that's just it isnt it. Clinton is getting away with high treason. Obama is ruling like a dictator. Its about time I got me some.. I figure knocking over a bank should be a cake walk even if I am caught. Maybe a bit of probation, nothing more?

Or are the laws just for the little people?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: RepealTheLaw
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Well that's just it isnt it. Clinton is getting away with high treason. Obama is ruling like a dictator. Its about time I got me some.. I figure knocking over a bank should be a cake walk even if I am caught. Maybe a bit of probation, nothing more?

Or are the laws just for the little people?

Robbing a bank is considered a violent crime and punished more harshly. If you want to commit a crime and get away with it like they do, you need to commit the types of crimes they commit. Insider trading and embezzlement.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

I guess if you want to put it that way. I prefer to look at it as that I feel like other issues are more pressing for me to be concerned about than that one, so I have just prioritized it lower on my list of ones to solve.

ps: besides no one cares about what I think should be done. Which is to neither worry about deportation or amnesty, but to try to solve the problem at the source. But that would require many more political compromises that neither party is really agreeable on making so no one cares.
edit on 20-4-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join