It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists encode, retrieve 10,000 gigabytes stored on DNA molecules

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Researchers at the University of Washington and Microsoft are developing one of the first complete storage systems to house digital data in DNA.

“Life has produced this fantastic molecule called DNA that efficiently stores all kinds of information...
“We’re essentially repurposing it to store digital data, pictures, videos, documents, in a manageable way for hundreds or thousands of years.”

The team of bioengineers and computer science and electronic engineers were able to encode data from four image files into the nucleotide sequences of synthetic DNA snippets.

researchers then reversed the process by retrieving the correct sequence from a large pool of DNA and reconstructing the images without losing a single byte of information

Ceze and his team think they can go much further, moving on to store video and large digital files. They claim it could be possible to “shrink the space needed to store digital data that today would fill a Walmart supercenter down to the size of a sugar cube.”

Researchers said DNA molecules can store information many millions of times more densely than existing technology for digital storage, such as flash drives and hard drives, as well as magnetic and optical media. Those systems also degrade after a few years, while DNA can preserve information for centuries.

Source

This is pretty awesome. Technology seems to be advancing at a ridiculous rate nowadays. Forget hard drives, now we might have dna data storage coming

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Wow ... we really are in the year 2016 !

This is a game changer ! ✔

Thanks for the info ! 👍

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
A teaspoon of DNA can hold the genetic footprint of every single human who has ever lived.

DNA is the most compact form of digital coding there is.

The human DNA is actually a huge book of written words. It is so complex it would take books that stack up the size of the Grand Canyon to fill.

Think about that for awhile.

Most people who think they are smart, imagine that all of the coding involved just made itself over time, and made it so it could copy itself as well. We're talking about a book the size of the Grand Canyon with the ability to print itself, as well as have fail-safe checks, and rewrites.

The code in the human cell (with the human DNA) is far more advanced than the most technological machines of humans. But it appeared by chance.

Mmmhm. Right.

I mean, take the chance of one single human protein folding on itself. It would take 1 in a billion billion billion. That is, if you took a primordial soup, not the size of the earth, but the size of the universe itself, it would take many times the age of our universe for it to happen by chance.

And yet, there are over 50,000 proteins in a human. This is important. Because the entire digital library of the human genome had to have been encoded in the DNA, as well as all of the proteins needed, as well as the RNA (which replicates the DNA to form new cells). All of these need to have come about at the very exact same time for human life to have evolved.

There is no other way around it.

The universe is far far far far far far times infinity tooo short for that to have happened. And people who believe it happened by "Chance" laugh at people who have logical thinking minds and understand the complexity of life. And how really impossible it could have come about by chance.

Really, they in their arrogant haughtiness, thinking they know so much, have not been taught anything about the subject!

Now here is something to think about. Imagine how easy it is for the Grand Creator to save the DNA of a person with all his/her memories for a later date to recreate it. Or to resurrect that person to life again.

A simple thing really. Something of no consequence to him.

That is how real the resurrection in the future is.

And yet so many fools imagine it is impossible. Because they have never opened their minds up to the truth of reality.
edit on 9-4-2016 by LifeisGrand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeisGrand

That's a lot of words for a baseless argument for creationism.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Oh lord a religious person...believe in your dogma but do not insult others for being logical and not believing.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
That looks very promising. Not only because it would be an improvement on speed and volume but most importantly the use of synthesized DNA instead of resources like metals.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

That's a lot of words for a baseless argument for creationism.

I agree that many, perhaps you have no clue as how to respond, because it would take some thinking. But don't dare to accuse me to believe in Creationism because that is a lie.

I highly doubt you even know what Creationism means.

And how very very few fundamental radicals actually believe in it. The majority of people who rationally believe in a Creator do not believe in Creationism.

You had no idea about this did you?

I mean after all your years of existence. I have found this to be the case with most people who believe in life by chance.

They have never even been taught what Creationism is, and how very few illogical Fundamental Extremists believe in it.

And yet you are taught to believe that everyone who believe in a Creator, because of the rational I gave you above, which you cannot refute, are Creationists.

Your close-minded narrow view of things is so great, if only someone could wake you up to see it.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

It's nothing more than an Argument from Personal Incredulity fallacy. "I can't believe this arose naturally therefore it was designed!" Is neither original or compelling.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   

It's nothing more than an Argument from Personal Incredulity fallacy. "I can't believe this arose naturally therefore it was designed!" Is neither original or compelling.

Again, intellignet people imagine they know everything.

You cannot explain away the logic of it. It is not a fallacy it is very logical and very full of proof. But not the proof you want. But you cannot refute it.

I am used to it though. The message wasn't for those that are so narrow-minded and close-minded, as well as misinformed they cannot even answer logically. Just deny, name-call (such as "Creationist" without even knowing what they are saying) and feel satisfied.

I will leave you to live in your world of fantasy. I will remain in the real world with real facts. Please do not hate me for it. I do not hate you for shielding yourself from reality. I feel nothing but love and pity for you.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   

DNA is the most compact form of digital coding there is. 

Only the abbreviation sounds almost digital,we awfully close that the holographic world could be just what we're all living in?
edit on 0b12America/ChicagoSat, 09 Apr 2016 04:44:12 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 09 Apr 2016 04:44:12 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Let's see:

1) You start off by arrogantly pronouncing your "revelation" and calling those who understand and accept the evidence for evolution as "haughty, close-minded,fools".

2) Your argument is nothing new, it's tired, old unoriginal and demonstrates nothing but your ignorance of the scientific discovery over the last few hundred years.

3) Unsurprisingly, your argument is riddles with scientific inaccuracies, misunderstandings and general ignorance and utterly devoid of any actual, tangible substance beyond "I can't believe this arose naturally therefore it was designed!".

This may be new to you, but for those who have seen the same rehashed, fallacious creationist (sorry, "Intelligent design") arguments ad nauseum, it's tiresome.

Oh, and just FYI, the OP has to do with repurposing DNA for data storage, not any of the wild quasi-religious parallels you have been drawing.
edit on 9-4-2016 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Actually, no you are wrong on every point. And since you are. And did not even address my original post with any real substance, and I have gathered you cannot and will not. I will leave it at that. Since you cannot respond to any proofs given to you. I will not give you any more answers. Peace, out.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: LifeisGrand

Actually, no you are wrong on every point. And since you are. And did not even address my original post with any real substance, and I have gathered you cannot and will not. I will leave it at that. Since you cannot respond to any proofs given to you. I will not give you any more answers. Peace, out.

That which is presented without substance, can be dismissed without substance.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

That kind of storage capacity may even be capable of storing a person consciousness. Who knows where we are heading?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Let's see:

1) You start off by arrogantly pronouncing your "revelation" and calling those who understand and accept the evidence for evolution as "haughty, close-minded,fools".

2) Your argument is nothing new, it's tired, old unoriginal and demonstrates nothing but your ignorance of the scientific discovery over the last few hundred years.

3) Unsurprisingly, your argument is riddles with scientific inaccuracies, misunderstandings and general ignorance and utterly devoid of any actual, tangible substance beyond "I can't believe this arose naturally therefore it was designed!".

This may be new to you, but for those who have seen the same rehashed, fallacious creationist (sorry, "Intelligent design") arguments ad nauseum, it's tiresome.

Oh, and just FYI, the OP has to do with repurposing DNA for data storage, not any of the wild quasi-religious parallels you have been drawing.

Let's see

Your argument held nothing relating to using science to negate the comment by LiG
It was just personal and irrelevant

I found LiGs comment well related and informative in explaining how intricate the DNAs ability to code and decode is
I found it interesting how it was explained that something this complex would be impossible to arise from nothing
I however found your reply banal and irrelevant in context

Let's leave God out of this and talk science and how it is possible for such a system to arise from dirt and water

Explain that

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
**ATTENTION**

The topic of this thread is Scientists encode, retrieve 10,000 gigabytes stored on DNA molecules.

It is found in the Science & Technology Forum. Please remain on topic. If you wish to discuss things related to religion or theology, please open a new thread in the proper forum.

Any other posts not related to the OP will be removed, repeat offenders will have their posting privileges suspended.

Please do not reply to this post.

~Tenth
ATS Super Mod

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
DNA encoding is slow and degrades with time, try this :

www.southampton.ac.uk...

That's cool and will last until the end of the universe!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Instead of this arguing. All should just revel in the beautiful complexity of DNA. It is literally the most ultimate building block of life in the universe we have discovered thus far and that is amazing. Everybody on this planet has DNA enough to store all information we currently have. All of it. That is mind blowing.

DNA could preserve all of mankinds information in case the worst happens. And then an ispirational youtube as well.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype
It is quite interesting, as is the post above yours. No doubt we will surpass even these milestones, but "in case the worst happens", there will be no way to retrieve that data, and no one with the knowledge to do it anyway. Just like the last time the worst happened, and the time before that.

I've often wondered if ancient humans left their own kind of time capsule/recorded knowledge for us to find, and even though it's right in front of our faces, we're still too ignorant to understand what they were trying to tell us. For some reason, we think we're the first civilization to think of it. I sincerely doubt that.

edit on 4/9/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Haha this escalated quickly

Why are you so upset?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join