It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists encode, retrieve 10,000 gigabytes stored on DNA molecules

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I've always thought human history goes back far further then we actually know.

I'm sure a few natural or even unnatural events caused a restart for human civilization

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: LifeisGrand

Oh lord a religious person...believe in your dogma but do not insult others for being logical and not believing.

They hate it when science achieves anything...they have achievement envy.

We've created our own forms of life, distinct and totally new from anything found in nature. Science will one day, surpass what they consider to have been achieved by thier supernatural deities...then they'll really be hopping mad, without realising or accepting the obvious...Humans are the equivalent or better than their gods, and it was only ever a matter of time.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Klassified

I've always thought human history goes back far further then we actually know.

I'm sure a few natural or even unnatural events caused a restart for human civilization

Agreed. If the earth is as old as we think it is, there's no telling what has happened here, we are totally ignorant of at this point. To think we know it all is just hubris. I personally think if we keep digging, we're in for some real surprises.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I think so too JDmOKI.

The reset 'button' is unfortunately intermittent, probably depending on where we are on our transit around and through the Milky way...some parts of our orbit are more hazardous than others, but of course, we have no choice but to repeat constantly, until a cycle can devise a method of protecting Humanity from whatever cyclic nasties are waiting to almost eradicate us.

Hopefully, it will be many thousands of years before our species needs to worry about it...or a random, unseen 'reset' event could happen today, and it will probably take the survivors thousands more years to get back to our current levels.

edit on 9 4 2016 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Niiiizzzzze.....

Now get this done quick....

I want a computer with processor in dna..
I want ram in dna...
I want storage in dna...

And it will be 10x10cm

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

Technically you already have all that its called your Brain.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped The argument for DNA complexity was good enough to convince the greatest atheist of the 20th century to convert to being a believer that there is a creator. www.existence-of-god.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Sorry its all full...
I need MOOOAR

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeisGrand

Take a lesson from Newton:

Newton's flaming laser sword (or Alder's razor): If something cannot be settled by experiment or observation then it is not worthy of debate.

And be careful what you wish for - your "creator" may turn out to be your worst nightmare. Your "creator" created enough suffering on this planet for a thousand universes. Think about that.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Phantom423

That's interesting. I'd not heard of Alder's razor before. However, I have to ask, in light of that Dr. Alder's axiom, how does one experimentally or observationally prove abiogenesis?

-dex

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

That's interesting. I'd not heard of Alder's razor before. However, I have to ask, in light of that Dr. Alder's axiom, how does one experimentally or observationally prove abiogenesis?

-dex

This is how you do it: You get up at 5 am, put on your lab gear, go into the lab, design experiments around your question - any question including abiogenesis - and you start to work. Work! What a concept!

Read this article. It may provide some enlightenment. Note that this article was written in 2009

Life As We Know It Nearly Created in Lab
by Robert Roy Britt | January 11, 2009 10:49am ET
www.livescience.com...

The researchers, at the Scripps Research Institute, created molecules that self-replicate and even evolve and compete to win or lose. If that sounds exactly like life, read on to learn the controversial and thin distinction.

Know your RNA

To understand the remarkable breakthrough, detailed Jan. 8 in the early online edition of the journal Science, you have to know a little about molecules called RNA and DNA.

DNA is the software of life, the molecules that pack all the genetic information of a cell. DNA and the genes within it are where mutations occur, enabling changes that create new species.

RNA is the close cousin to DNA. More accurately, RNA is thought to be a primitive ancestor of DNA. RNA can't run a life form on its own, but 4 billion years ago it might have been on the verge of creating life, just needing some chemical fix to make the leap. In today's world, RNA is dependent on DNA for performing its roles, which include coding for proteins.

If RNA is in fact the ancestor to DNA, then scientists have figured they could get RNA to replicate itself in a lab without the help of any proteins or other cellular machinery. Easy to say, hard to do.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that our experimental capability have advanced to that point.

However the concept of abiogensis has been around for much longer than just the last 7 years. When the hypothesis of "life-from-nothing" was first proposed, was there any notion of how an experiment could be formulated to provide evidence for it?

If not, does that not invalidate the Alder's Razor?

This is how you do it: You get up at 5 am, put on your lab gear, go into the lab, design experiments around your question - any question including abiogenesis - and you start to work. Work! What a concept!

5 am is a little early for me, can I sleep a little longer and then just work late into the night? That's what I usually do. But the most important question is: Instead of lab gear, can I wear my Spiderman costume?

-dex

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
While this is a massive breakthrough and will definitely lead to amazing things, there's still a lot of work to be done before this becomes a valid method of information storage and it's unlikely to reach a consumer for decades. The data storage unit itself might be small, and a great way to store data in a facility for centuries of archival, the machinery and process needed to achieve this is unlikely to be small enough to make it practical, at least not for many years of further development.

This won't be anything like sticking an SD card in your camera. It seem this is a method requiring vast amounts of equipment to store static data (ie, not dynamically writing created data on the fly).

It's great, but quantum computing is still going to be leading the way and probably making a much larger impact on our lives.

Just my opinion.
edit on 10-4-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The criminal government of Italy, including its criminal president are responsible for DNA genetical manipulation on people according to the dictates of the nazi regime's foremost professor racist supremacist and eugenicist Mengele.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Now now....I read that, read it again and again.....I kinda follow it, buuuut...10k of gigs? Like Timely said, 2016!!!

The baby boomers are coming back....to store everything! Just. Fascinating.....!!
(x) 10k gigs, heh!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Zeus is coming? Cthul.....crystal skulls? Ok ok, sorry, couldnt resist.

I like Newton, but how about Tesla? He did some nice pew pew laser shows on his time...

But, do like what you have said....with mr know it all up there. Still thinking about it, and after I am done thinking then I think I could think about it again. Me brain hurts

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
While this is a massive breakthrough and will definitely lead to amazing things, there's still a lot of work to be done before this becomes a valid method of information storage and it's unlikely to reach a consumer for decades. The data storage unit itself might be small, and a great way to store data in a facility for centuries of archival, the machinery and process needed to achieve this is unlikely to be small enough to make it practical, at least not for many years of further development.

This won't be anything like sticking an SD card in your camera. It seem this is a method requiring vast amounts of equipment to store static data (ie, not dynamically writing created data on the fly).

It's great, but quantum computing is still going to be leading the way and probably making a much larger impact on our lives.

Just my opinion.

You're talking about two separate things here. Storage vs computing.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I just wonder how many subroutines they will add to program YOU! The rise of autism didn't help them! That's WAY TOO personal MICROSOFT. I mean how long will it be until they have fully integrated bio-compatible wireless routers and have network nodes that connect directly to the brain so they can broadcast their version of virtual reality directly to your brain? Virtual Universe is probably what the project is or will be code named (or something like it).

That's something I will never voluntarily accept, and NO they had better not put it in the cereal or anything else!

edit on 4/12/2016 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Im going to become my own personal data storage for all my games , videos , work files , pictures etc .

I just cant wait until they figure out how to download dreams and images captured by our eyes onto files we can view

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Mmm...The dream recorder...
Thats a thing id like to have.

I have these lucid dreams of people i have NO IDEA of who
they are, or were ive met them. But i know them. One dream
i had i was singing, i actually heard myself sing, and it was
awsome. I woke up asking my wife if she heard me. Waaaaaat.

Sometimes when i close my eyes, i see stuf, flashing by in like
milliseconds, cant see what it is but, sometimes i get scared.

THAT would be nice to see in realtime. In like slowmo...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join