It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm so "over" Star Wars (and that makes me sad)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Honesty compels me to say New Hope is my favorite movie of all time. Just on sheer numbers alone. I've bought every new version of it. The summer it came out, I saw it at least once a week. My parents always knew, pretty much, where I was.

I'm immersed in the Star Wars universe, and it has pissed me off to no end that Disney dares to declare it non-canon and won't use any of the incredible story lines out there.

I've even written some really, really bad fan-fiction.

The character development that's gone on over the past almost forty years is incredible. Yet the House of Mouse chooses to ignore it.

Star Wars geek, and proud of it. Leia in the gold bikini. Whooo-hoooooooo!!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SwillsActually, you are right. The DVD is for sale in my neck of the woods but it isn't coming to Netflix DVD until May.

Again, I don't doubt many fine films will be made. It's just me but I feel like having these films come out rapid fire diminishes the "specialness" of them all.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason88
a reply to: eluryh22

Old man yells, "get off my lawn"!

Seriously dude you're not that old.

Even you acknowledge these films were heavily commercialized back then - it sounds like we're about the same age - just as they are heavily commercialized now.

In my opinion nothing has changed really... the new stories are the same as the old ones just redone.

Agreed. They were commercialized back then but it was more difficult to produce movies (or at least, it took a greater amount of effort it seems) so they didn't come out with such frequency. As for all the product lines, similarly manufacturing has gotten cheaper so like I said in the OP, one can not get away from having Star Wars shoved in their face.

Again, I don't blame them. If there is money to be made, by all means go out there and get it.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolaceI don't know if Abrams devastated Star Trek, but I'm of the opinion he didn't do the franchise any favors. I thought the casting was pretty terrific. The two movies were "ok" I'd say.... except the part about Spock going back in time to convince Spock to follow Kirk.... and of course the one element that ENRAGED the Trekkie in me.... Spock and Ohura getting together? What?!?!?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Why start to dislike something you used to like, just because there is now more of it. That does not make sense to me.
I acknowledge it isn't a logical turn but an emotional one. But isn't that what "liking" or "disliking" art is all about?

For example, there have definitely been songs over the years that I very much enjoyed when I first heard them..... until they were played over and over again until the point I got so sick of them I never wanted to hear them again.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
When a man gets tired of Star Wars a man is tired of life.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
When a man gets tired of Star Wars a man is tired of life.
When a man's life is strongly tied to a sci-fi series, that man has no life at all.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's out now on DVD. (in the US)

The Force Awakens is the kind of movie we SW fans wanted the prequels to be.
It hit on all the marks. (and managed to rope in new fans).

Just because there is a movie a year, doesn't mean it is all the same storyline.

The SW Universe is an entire GALAXY, so it's more of a setting for multiple stories. If you love the Universe of it, then sure, seeing more is always a good thing. Heck, I'm a fan who read the books, watched the movies over and over, even wrote a couple of mystery dinners with the theme, where friends would dress up and all try to solve the mystery, etc.

It's just fun. All it was ever meant to be.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Was a New Hope really any better,

Mark Hamils acting was awful, the script was awful, the fight between Vader and Obi Wan was awful and if you really think about it the only really amazing thing about that movie was how it introduced us to the Star Wars universe.

no, but it was new, and different and exciting. like a mouthfull of hubba bubba with popping candy.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I watched TFA again on Amazon video. I much preferred watching it in the comfort of my bed, rather than the cinema. I really enjoyed it 2nd time round.mits actually a pretty good film. I think Rey Finn and Poe were all great additions. I thought it was just a great film even if your not a sw fan. Chewbacca is great in it. I would recommend watching it again in the comfort of your own home.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Just a late comment, I just purchased the DVD of the force awaken's, Really a superb film in it's own right and in my opinion the real successor to the star wars film's.

The main characters were great and I hope to see more of Fin whom is think is the new sidekick but perhaps also a future jedi himself and Rey whom I thought was a great addition to the story and will make a great character as her jedi role evolves, I suspect she is supposed to be Luke's daughter but correct me if I am wrong, if so they did a great job getting someone whom could in real life pass as his daughter, I was gutted by Solo's death and Chewi was too wimpy this time around (Harrison ford definitely seemed to love being back as Han Solo) but then through the force I suspect Harrison Ford (whom I still think of first as Han Solo and have to think to remember the actors name) may yet return but his son is not just on the dark side he is totally insane with it (great acting).

It took all the best action bit's but needed just a little of the original film's story telling the way that star wars dropped you into the middle of the fight from the start and told it's story's as much with what it did not show you as what it did show.

My opinion, this is the best star wars movies since the Jedi Strikes Back (Which despite the Ewok's I loved).

So I am not over Star Wars, I want to see episode VIII and IX and beyond, I liked the use of Skellig Michael at the end but though I have never been there it was perhaps too well known a heritage site, still it is also a beautiful place.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 19-4-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join