It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I'm so "over" Star Wars (and that makes me sad)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:53 PM

Disclaimer: I do acknowledge that maybe I'm either just a hater in denial or a grumpy old man in a younger man's body.

I was born in the mid 70's and I grew up LOVING Star Wars. I vaguely remember seeing A New Hope on broadcast television (with commercials because we were poor and didn't have cable). I also vaguely remember seeing Return of the Jedi in the theatre and I distinctly remember three things:

1) Chewbacca on the big screen scared the crap out of me.
2) Even though he had a strange look to him, I wanted to be Luke Skywalker when I grew up.
3) I was young enough and stupid enough to like the Ewoks (this was more in retrospect; hey, I was a kid at the time).

Anyway, I LOVED Star Wars. Remember those old Halloween costumes with the plastic poncho-things and the plastic masks with the rubber bands that held them on your face while choking you out? I remember being X-wing Fighter Luke one year and Yoda another year and my friend switched a Chewbacca one with me one year. (By the way, remember those costumes? On the poncho part... why did they have a picture of the character on there rather than making it look like the body of the character? Man, I feel old at the moment.... but I digress).

So I grew up having Lightsaber battles with my brothers and friends using wiffle-ball bats and all that. Loved Star Wars. Just loved it.

Fast forward a million years and they came out with the prequels. I was definitely "cautiously optimistic" because I was concerned that the old magic couldn't be recaptured. I was partially right.

Episode 1: Seriously? The first seen was great because it sort of showed what Jedi's could REALLY do (with modern CGI) but overall that movie sucked the big one (in my honest opinion). Darth Vader was really THAT annoying as a kid? Jar-jar? Really? Jar-jar? (Incidentally, had that fan-theory about Jar-jar being THE Sith been used, this could be a completely different post... but again, I digress).
Also, Darth Maul? Really? Return of the Jedi showed us some (admittedly rare) Jedi/Sith. Darth Maul looked like a friggen cartoon character! THAT was (kinda) the villain in the movie?

Episode 2: A bit better (thanks in large part to Ewin McGreggor... how the Trainspotting guy became an awesome Obi-Wan is beyond me... but damn he rocked that role).

Episode 3: So good that it made me almost pissed that the first two sucked so bad. How is it possible that the third was THAT much better than the first two. When I was on my high school track team my coach would get pissed at me when I would give a salute to my teammates during the 2-mile races as I passed them on the track because she (correctly) told me if I had the energy to give a salute to the sidelines I wasn't putting 100% into the race. So... I ask Lucas.... Why did episodes 1 & 2 suck so bad if you had it in you?
But again.... I digress....

Now... enter my "getting over" Star Wars....

Prior to the release of The Force Awakens there was the absolute media and more annoying PRODUCT blitz. Everywhere! EVERYWHERE!!! There is no escaping it! I go to Target... giant friggen Star Wars displays EVERYWHERE. Even in the supermarket, there is no place to hide from Star Wars. Walk into Toys R Us and there is an ENOURMOUS section JUST for Star Wars that looks like it is at least semi-permanent. Make-up commercials? Even those crappy frozen ice-bar-plastic-wrapped things I enjoyed as a kid (Fla-vor-ice Giant-bars) are now called ice light-saber things with Star Wars characters on them.

I didn't see The Force Awakens yet (although I will when the DVD comes out in May) but I'm sure it's a fine film. But now they are saying they are coming out with about a film EACH year for like... I dunno... FOREVER!?!?!?! I'm sure many of those films will be decent as well. But here is where the galaxy from long ago and far away loses me.....

It's just too much! When something is somewhat rare, it is special. When it is everywhere all the time, it is not.

I understand that these movies aren't meant for me... the are meant for the next generation of kids growing up and I'm sure the marketing people they hired did their analysis and they will make a boat-load of money and I don't fault them for that.

But my personal, emotional response is that they absolutely KILLED Star Wars for me. For a movie series that I LOVED as a child, a movie series full of characters that I pretended to be for hours/days/weeks on end... I have little if any excitement to hear about a new installment.

Again, I want to say Star Wars is not my property and if people want to make bank on it then good for them.... and of course this is not the biggest issue I have in/with the world but it makes me a bit sad that they took the beautiful woman that was Star Wars and turned her into a cheap five-dollar-whore.

[end rant]

edit on 8-4-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:01 PM
I think I'm more over J.J. Abrams than over STAR WARS.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:04 PM
a reply to: eluryh22

Where I'm from its already out on DVD. It's a movie made by fans for fans. Watching it is like watching A New Hope all over again but this time it's new, yet still old.

It's a great movie and the next movie, Rogue One, is all about how the rebels stole the plans from the Empire just prior to A New Hope. Check these video out.

edit on 8-4-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:06 PM

Old man yells, "get off my lawn"!

Seriously dude you're not that old.

Even you acknowledge these films were heavily commercialized back then - it sounds like we're about the same age - just as they are heavily commercialized now.

In my opinion nothing has changed really... the new stories are the same as the old ones just redone.
edit on 8-4-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:07 PM
I got you by about 12 years. SW was awesome. Empire was better. Jedi? Urm, OK. I was over SW 35 years ago.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:12 PM

I'm with you about the first six episodes all the way. I rank them 5674321. Notice where the 7 is. I was totally prepared to not like The Force Awakens. One nice touch was that BB-8 was mostly not CG.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:15 PM

Great post. While I've not reached the point of growing tired of Star Wars, I feel that Disney will soon ruin the franchise due to death by over-saturation. I thought that the Force Awakens was a decent enough movie. However, I wish that J.J. Abrams had stuck to the canon Star Wars universe. I can't say 100% that The Force Awakens isn't 100% canon, but I highly believe it isn't. I won't go into details on why I feel that way as you've asked for no spoilers.

As for Disney, I just recently read about the movie they're releasing this December about the story of obtaining the death star plans. This is what leads me to believe they're going to ruin the franchise from death by over-saturation. The Star Wars universe is so huge that hundreds of movies could be made and not even put a dent into universe itself. Some things are better left to books and some things are better suited towards the silver screen.

As for J.J. Abrams, I can't stand him. He devastated Star Trek and even though his ultimate achievement is the Star Wars universe, I can't help but think if given enough time, he'll destroy Star Wars too. I really despise Abrams... Not because of Star Wars, but because of what he did to Star Trek!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:20 PM
Let's just put it this way, the DVD has been here for 3 days. I'll get around to it.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:37 PM

My suggestion would be to wait for the DVD and immerse yourself more into the lore , that can be readily found online for free, until that time. There is so much more to the star wars universe that can be enjoyed than just what their marketing departments can come up with through toys blah blah blah..

I was thoroughly surprised and anticipating for what they (Disney) have in store with what direction they attempt to take it in. The filler Rogue One looks real promising to me.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:50 PM

Ready for this leluryh????????
Hollywood has been in the big time business of cult creation for a hundred years. The cult of the star. The cult of the story. Toss in a at least a couple of nice faces and bods and the American people fell in love with their big screen messiahs. Pay a few bucks and find solace for a few hours, a little bit of heaven. Boom.
People fell in love with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers and the industry pumped them over and over into the bloodstream of the modern culture. Boom.
Elvis did how many movies? Boom.

You saw SW as a kid. I took my three year old to see it when it opened. I was knocked out and my son was ablaze. Darth Vader. That Holloween there was little if anything in the way of SW costumes because the marketeers had now forseen its populatiry. So we got and old army helmet shell and painted it black. got an old WWii gas mask with two filters, a black cape and black pants and out he went.
I loved the second and was glad that they wrapped it up with the third. I saw most of the rest just to be sociable but really care less.

Like it or not believe it or not el,, you were in the Star Wars cult. Welcome out.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 12:38 AM
Why start to dislike something you used to like, just because there is now more of it. That does not make sense to me. It would be one thing to dislike it because you saw the new movies and thought they were horrible. But that is not the case.

Its just being contrarian for contrarians sake. Its like the people who love a band when they are indie, then hate the band when the band becomes popular. Whats even more silly. Is that besides the first movie. Star Wars has always been a huge pop culture phenomenon. Clothing, toys, advertisement and endorsements, books, games, comics. I am thirty two. Ever since I was a kid, almost any store you go to, would have Star Wars branded stuff.

Right out the gate George Lucas made sure to keep the rights to any products made using the Star Wars brand. He specifically put it in his contract with the studio. So he could sell Star Wars toys and products. So what we see now. Was always part of the plan for Star Wars. Its nothing new. The only thing Disney changed was going to a one movie a year format. Which is not even as bad as the other Disney owned studios. Marvel puts out multiple movies a year and so does Pixar.

So the idea that Star Wars in the past was a pure virgin woman free of sin and greed and is now a cheap five dollar woman of the night. Is absolute fiction. Star Wars is the same as it always was. Better even, than at some points in its history.

Compared to some of the other blatant cash grabs going on, endless remakes and movies based on board games. Disney is actually putting out some pretty decent movies that actually retain the spirit of the originals. I mean, they could of recast everyone as teenagers and made remakes, instead of going through all the trouble of making the old fans happy. They even went old-school and used as many practical effects as they could. Considering the crappy CGI fests that come out now-a-days. I think Disney is being very respectful and careful with the Star Wars universe and brand.

edit on 9-4-2016 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:14 AM
I still have hopes for SW, but they lost me with The Clone Wars...
the LONGEST.....the DULLEST......

at least until that dreck with young Anakin and whats her face hit the theaters.

The movie with Endor and the Ewoks was CLASSIC!! The first time we saw those Stormtroopers zooming thru the trees is a moment in CGI that will go down in history. The whole audience was leaning right, leaning left and mesmerized.

If they are going to branch out I'd like to see one about the Mandalorians & the Fetts.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:39 AM
I am "over" Star Wars as well.

After the disasterpiece The Phantom Menace was released I knew Star Wars would turn into garbage.

I grew up on it also. Lived and breathed everything Star Wars.

It makes me sad really.

ETA: I would love to see someone make a Mass Effect trilogy without butchering it. The universe is just as immersive as Star Wars.
edit on 9-4-2016 by Razmijix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:07 AM

I watched the first star wars in the cinema, it was the best science fiction and special effects ever to that point especially for a kid whom had grown up on stop motion special effect's, even today they are impressive and remember it was done with model's and no computer animation anywhere so in fact they still have not bettered it except by using modern computer animation, I left the cinema with eye's the size of saucers wanting to be a Jedi even though Darth Vader had the best costume.

Then came what for me was a lull, fantastic special effect's, this time with some early computer animation but just not as good as the first episode IV, the empire strike's back however had the best massive space fleet of any science fiction to date and hoth was a great but bland location for the story, this was when thing's got strange, Yoda come's in as a mad hermit master Jedi with his back story only hinted at (the cave were Luke faces the ghost of Vader whom has his own face is supposed to be a location were Yoda slew a Dark Jedi or Sith lord whom had tracked him when he fled the repulic as the empire siezed control so it is particularly strong in the Dark Side of the force because of that), I actually enjoyed that one more when I got older then it got really wrong for all sort's of reason's and Return of the Jedi though having the best special effects up to that point introduced the Dreaded Ewok's and it shattered the fantasy as here instead of alien's were a tribe of jungle dwelling carnivorous teddy bear's - TEDDY BEARS AHHH.

But just when you though it could not get any worse, JAR JAR BINK's and kid's in racing pod's, YOUNGLING's they murdered Star Wars and danced on it's grave in a CGI laden far less well made film, oh there were good part's, crashing the ship into the planet etc, the clone rebellion and so and so forth but the newer prequel's were Crap, not in there own right but as what they were meant to be, so Star Wars was Intelligent as was the Empire Stike's back but the Return of the Jedi was dumbed down a little too much, then the Prequels were aimed at Kid's so they could sell toy's so dumbed down far too much, I still have not seen Darth Mickeys latest though but doubt it can be as bad as the Prequel's.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:09 AM
TFA was amazing quite simple

I love star wars so to me more star wars cannot be a bad thing so long as they can keep the standard up.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:30 AM
a reply to: LABTECH767

Darth Mickey's?
Darth Mickey Mouse???

( runs screaming off traumatized and needing therapy!!! AUGHHHHHHHHHH!!!)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:31 AM
this movie sucked to be honest, the acting was bad, the script was bad.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:41 AM
a reply to: Swills

Rogue One makes me angry for two very specific reasons:

1: I remember being told when I was younger that Lucas had to sign off on any book and/or video game released because those stories were to be Star Wars canon. So if a game existed, then that story existed in the Star Wars Universe. One of my favorite games growing up was Dark Forces, where you played an ex-storm trooper turned merc named Kyle Katarn.

Though the game was about the creation of a Dark Trooper, the beginning level actually had you breaking into a Star Destroyer specifically to steal the plans for the Death Star. It was a great way to start the game off and was supposed to be canon to boot.

I know when Disney took over, they were going through the expanded universe with a fine-tooth comb and getting rid of anything they didn't want to be canon(which seemed to be EVERYTHING). This saddens me because this movie pretty much tells me Kyle Katarn no longer exists. He was replaced by my second complaint.

2. I can't help but feel like the main character for Rogue One is going to be another "Mary Sue", just like many have called Rey from Force Awakens. I finally saw the new movie the other day and will definitely admit I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I also felt like they chose the perfect cast(minus the fact that I laughed my ass off every time Kylo Ren took his mask off). But after watching it, I understand everyone's complaint about Rey: She's too good at everything and seems to have no faults whatsoever, which is why she's a "Mary Sue".

I posted the link for those that don't know what a Gary Stu/Mary Sue is.

I also wonder how cheesy it's going to be, because I'm sorry, this line really doesn't give me any confidence: "This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

Spoken like a spoiled rotten know-it-all teenager PoS.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:41 AM
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Was a New Hope really any better,

Mark Hamils acting was awful, the script was awful, the fight between Vader and Obi Wan was awful and if you really think about it the only really amazing thing about that movie was how it introduced us to the Star Wars universe.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:47 AM
When historians in the distant future look back at people born around when I was ( the mid to late 60's ) they might well refer to us as the "Star Wars generation". If there is a single cultural constant in my life, Star Wars is surely it.

I was 10 when Star Wars came out ( now called "A New Hope" - a fact I honestly hate but one that does make discussing the original movie much less confusing for others ) and it was without a doubt the most incredible thing my young mind could possibly handle. Life changing in fact - and that is not hyperbole as Star Wars has influenced me as a person.

It's funny. As a man on the cusp of celebrating the ominous "five zero" I find myself hesitant to say that Star Wars is my favorite movie of all time. Some internal intellectual snobbery wants me to pick any number of "smart" or "important" films to hold that honor.... But the metrics betray me. Over the years I have probably watched Star Wars ( A New Hope ) at least fifty times. Probably more. Additionally I've watched all the others ( save The Force Awakens - as I just got my Blu-ray of it four days ago ) at least a dozen times each ( Yes, even the abominations of episodes I - III. What can I say... Obi Wan and Anakan / Vader are imprinted into my DNA on some level at this point ).

The Force Awakens will likely end up in the same category before all is said and done.

So, in the same hesitant way that I sometimes mention that I enjoy professional wrestling, I will just say it. Star Wars is my favorite movie of all time.

I posted to social media on the fifth, a few days ago, after watching The Force Awakens for the first time. I mentioned there that The Force Awakens is the first Star Wars installment that I did not see in a theater and on opening weekend. Kind of a personal bummer, but life is life and these things happen.

In that post I also said that while The Force Awakens struck me as a really, really good summer-ish popcorn movie, but it didn't feel like a Star Wars film to me. Sure, there were familiar faces and themes... But it just didn't feel like home for some reason. Something didn't click on that level for me. Others disagree. Your mileage may vary.

A few days ago, all of this considered, I might have read this and replied "You ain't the only one brother". But yesterday I watched the trailer for "Rogue One" and totally marked out. Forrest Whitaker in a Star Wars movie??? Finding out about those Bothans who died getting the Death Star plans???

Yeah... Star Wars... Inside of me there is still a ten year old kid who sees it all as beyond magical.

top topics

<<   2 >>