It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Moving Forward With A-10 Replacement Option

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Air Force Moving Forward With A-10 Replacement Option

Looks like they are beginning to look at what's going to replace the A-10.

And also seems that they are bowing to outside pressure to move away from using the f-35.

But they still are discussing different solutions.

A new airframe, extending the a-10 or using a trainer, Super Tucano, Scorpion or drones.

The Air Force is moving forward with a key step in developing a dedicated close-air support plane to replace the A-10 Warthog, a top general said Thursday.

“My requirements guys are in the process of building a draft requirements document for a follow-on CAS airplane,” Lt. Gen. Mike Holmes, the deputy chief of staff for strategic plans and requirements, said. “It’s interesting work that at some point we’ll be able to talk with you a little bit more.”

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The replacement for the hogs will have an uphill battle to capture the hearts of those who fly them....
And those who call down their thunder and lightning as well......
big boots to fill.....

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
thats fine with me... the idea of the F35 as the replacement just made no sense to me at all.

I hope its not a drone, but pretty much any idea would be better than drone or f35 in my book.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
Would the troops be comfortable with remote controlled close air support do ye think....?
Twould make me a tech nervous...

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It'll be really interesting to see if they choose to replace the A-10 in its intended role, i.e. as a devastating and highly survivable system capable of pounding a peer-state's hardened ground forces into utter submission, or whether they are looking to replace it in the role it was actually used for, which was to serve as a relatively low-cost Stuka-like aerial psychological terror weapon to paralyze infantry and insurgent forces within controlled airspace.

The F-35 should do a bang-up job at filling the A-10's intended role, trading armor for invisibility, and trading a giant gun for a radar-frying offensive ECM suite that the Cylons would be proud of.

If they are looking to replace the latter, though, that could get mighty interesting...
edit on 8-4-2016 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I guess we could always fly in more AC-130s if we need a psychological terror weapon

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

I was thinking something like a baby AC-130, with a pilot, a gunner/target designator, and a belly-slung Phananx or Goalkeeper on top of the PGM ordinance.

It could even be optionally manned for peacekeeping/surveillance duty. Sort of like a cross between an A-10 and a Reaper.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
With delays and cost overruns hitting EVERY major airframe project I wonder if this thing ever sees the light of day.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

That's why they're looking at several options. If it's an existing platform the there's very little room for overruns. If it's the A-10 being extended then there is zero chance for overrun as it's already paid for and they'd just have any upgrades.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
thats fine with me... the idea of the F35 as the replacement just made no sense to me at all.

I hope its not a drone, but pretty much any idea would be better than drone or f35 in my book.

It is time to notice that this whole business is fishy. Anyone with ANY sense could tell you that the F-35 would not be a high-dollar craft that you would want to sacrifice as a ground support craft unless if was armored such as an A-10 and it ain't.

A patrol or squad is trapped by a bunch of baddies and you have a couple of F-35s lift off from a close base to save the day? Not a good use of war weapons. And who cares what it CAN carry in tacked on munitions if they are not strategic weapons? A cannon for Heaven's sake! Man, it took a lot engineering to tuck that sucker in there. How much did that cost?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

And the last time they removed a cannon from an aircraft it was an unmitigated disaster.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
It will make an interesting requirements document. The A-10 was conceived and built as armor killer with its 30mm cannon and Hellfire Missiles. It's side role was close air support using the cannon or other weapons. Continuing advancements in armor make it more difficult to kill that armor with the A-10 but weapons advancements counter the defensive armor.

I would guess they may decide to upgrade the entire A-10 fleet rather than build a new platform. This has been done very successfully with other aircraft and different missions. We will see in the near future. My best,

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Fine line between helo support and fixed wing these days..C 130 would be ideal for overwatch but for close in support you need something the enemy cant detect until its right on top of them and cant hide from..

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby
In other words a C-27 Spartan. I think they are actually doing that now.
Yep just looked and its designated MC-27J, but it not a full time gunship. The proposed but never finished AC-27J Stinger II would have been but was canned when funding got pulled. Shame really.

LEE.

edit on 13-4-2016 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I wonder if the A-10 will be "Loyal Wingman" compatible. It seems like it would be and if the geographic position information is precise enough troops on the ground could request support from the f-35 and use "waypoints" to guide strafing missions. It would negate the worry about the A-10's survivability.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

The A-10 replacement is being blasted as vaporware...

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I contemplated posting his latest article earlier, but got halfway through it and was too disgusted.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Isn't it amazing how all these bloggers are falling for their own hype?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The transformation is incredible. I still read FA everyday but it is getting increasingly harder to make it through some of Tyler's articles. I know he is leaving soon and all but I think he really bought into the Gawker style.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

I stopped reading his site months ago. I used to really enjoy it, but after I made a serious comment on one of his articles and got a smart ass reply about it, I gradually stopped and it's only gotten worse lately.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join