It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic Bag on Mars?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
a reply to: kuraijanai2013

Below is a link to the Mars/JPL/NASA site with the image. Image was captured on Oct. 11th, 2012 (just 2 months and 10 days before the world ended.) It doesn't look as if they've published any extensive science behind their findings, but believe it to possibly be debris from the landing.

As for plastic bags - it's funny that everyone started switching to them to "save the trees", and now realize how much worse they are than paper bags. In fact, in Chicago proper you can't even get plastic bags anymore. I prefer paper anyhow.

NASA Link

It is about half an inch (1.3 centimeters) long. The rover team has assessed this object as debris from the spacecraft, possibly from the events of landing on Mars.

Bollocks, paper bags are almost gone in my city, everyone going back to plastic since they are NOT worse than paper bags.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
To look at pictures of the rover, there is no material vaguely resembling that piece of plastic.
This object is obviously man made, but it appears to be of a sort of material that would not survive a flight through space, the descent to Mars, nor the Martian environment.
So the claims it fell from the rover, no less another rover, are laughable.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ecapsretuo

This object is obviously man made, but it appears to be of a sort of material that would not survive a flight through space, the descent to Mars, nor the Martian environment.

The lander was enclosed during the transit to Mars. The lander was enclosed through most of the descent to the surface. What is it about the Martian environment which would preclude a shred of plastic from "surviving?"

So the claims it fell from the rover, no less another rover, are laughable.
What's laughable is your level of knowledge about the mission.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: kuraijanai2013

Left-over piece of an Orchy bottle ?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It's one of these!

Bulk Wax Bottles

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The alternative answer is the photograph is not of Mars but earth. If the photograph was taken on earth it is a simple explanation for the piece of plastic. The official explanation is just a plausible. Just how much junk and debris is there on Mars?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If Nasa's rover took a picture of it, surely the rover also did a lab test and take samples? How long does it take for those pictures to be sent back to Nasa? 20 minutes or so? Or way longer? I'm sure Nasa knows what it is...probably can do a google search and debunk it...

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This is awesome! Lol we can't even stop polluting other planets with plastic

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Parsha

Welcome to ATS.
Witticisms about weather balloons and swamp gas are somewhat passe here though.

But we cultivate original witticisms with special insights, such as

NASA = Nincompoops Always See Aliens

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
A photograph of a single piece of plastic lying on the surface of Mars could only have come from the rover and does not, imo, give any indication it is native to the planet. It looks torn / ripped as if part of something larger.

If, however, the rover then panned around and caught an image of an entire thriving space city, complete with all the trimmings, then, well, you know.....aliens.

If I were at mission control, I would want a photo of anything and everything that fell off the rover so I could determine why and how it happened and research ways to ensure it does not happen again.

imo, it's from here.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
You just made me think of springs. I hate springs. You open up a fishing reel and a spring goes flying across the room without you noticing. You put the reel back together and don't find the spring for a week. "What the hell is this from?"

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
This came up about 3 or 4 years ago and we had speculated (and I think correctly) that it is part of an outer wiring wrapper, probably from a movable camera or instrument arm that has bundled wire harnesses over most of their exposed surface. A protective piece that had deteriorated , or ripped off.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hey people long time lurker and my first post,this is intresting my only comment is plastic falling off the rover witch is possible ,seems a stretch with mars winds blowing often and it been caught on a photoe.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It's actually the plastic wrapper from a Mars bar...

No follow up reports...seems like it was concluded back in 2012 it's a piece of plastic that fell off the rover but what exactly it was on the rover is unknown.

The rover team's assessment is that the bright object is something from the rover, not Martian material. It appears to be a shred of plastic material, likely benign, but it has not been definitively identified.

To proceed cautiously, the team is continuing the investigation for another day before deciding whether to resume processing of the sample in the scoop. Plans include imaging of surroundings with the Mastcam.

Link

Crazy we are littering on other planets...
edit on 6-4-2016 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Crazy? Or just part of the job?

Not to mention the stuff we left on the Moon.
edit on 4/6/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
Typical of ATS to go bonkers over a piece of plastic already explained a long time ago.

People should be going bonkers, we humans cannot seem to go anywhere without leaving friggin plastic around we are now littering other planets in our solar system

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Well it is, as you said, our Solar System.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Well it is, as you said, our Solar System.

That is, until the aliens come and put us all in the naughty corner for being intergalactic yobbos.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Something escaped the "cleaning" crew that's running around getting things ready for the "first" humans on Mars.

It would be quite the surprise for the "first" astronauts to show up and see signs we've already been there.

:ninja:

(we really need a ninja emoticon)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Something escaped the "cleaning" crew that's running around getting things ready for the "first" humans on Mars.

It would be quite the surprise for the "first" astronauts to show up and see signs we've already been there.

:ninja:

(we really need a ninja emoticon)

Like I said...it could be...

Why wouldn't astronauts want a little fun on the red planet?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join