It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

uprising in Raqqa against ISIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
www.rt.com...

Its apparently starting to fall apart at the seams this Caliphate idea.....like the revolt in Iraq a few months ago.....the people have had enough of the oppressive regime.....
This is above all else the real indicator of the waning power of ISIS.

A popular uprising in Islamic State stronghold Raqqa reportedly resulted in dozens of deaths as militias clashed with the terrorist group’s fighters. Some 200 militants are said to have switched sides and are fighting against their former comrades.

Several local sources say the clashes in Raqqa have been escalating for several days and resulted in numerous defections from the ranks of Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL, also known as Daesh, an Arabic pejorative term).

"About 200 Syrian militants of Daesh took the side of residents of Raqqa, which forced the terrorists to organize roadblocks at the entrance to the city," one source told Sputnik.

Reports of desertion have been confirmed by Alalam news and Hamrin news.

According to witness reports, Raqqa citizens now control the al-Dareiyeh, al-Ramileh, al-Ferdows, al-Ajili and al-Bakri neighborhoods

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

I wish them all the best... because if they lose... it will be brutal.

We all know that the international community will do nothing beyond send a strongly worded letter, so its up to the people to make or break their freedom.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
So, ISIS is falling to pieces. One bunch of brutal nutcases turning on another bunch of brutal nutcases.

It was always going to happen.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
At this stage I believe the uprising is premature and will result in repression of a very brutal nature.....
Like the Fallujah uprising a while back....s will roll....literally....

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
So, ISIS is falling to pieces. One bunch of brutal nutcases turning on another bunch of brutal nutcases.

I wouldn't count on it. More likely it will just change leadership or new more terrible groups will form.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

We all know that the international community will do nothing beyond send a strongly worded letter, so its up to the people to make or break their freedom.
there is a saying, 'you made your bed you lie in it' they're about to die in it, no sympathy from me, what i guarantee will happen however, now that it appears russia have cleaned up western journalists will get encamped again, this time showing the horrors committed against isis, bless.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Really? Wtf are you suggesting people in Raqqa are all brutal nutcases? There are still people trying to survive and they use weapons, because it is WAR.
"Took the side of residents..." learn to read.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

ISIS have lost Iraq & Syria, the question now is who's going to take their place ? Or are they going to shift base of operations ?

Let's not forget they've got quite a following still in Libya and the news from there is really quiet, not to mention the little splinter groups they have throughout Africa as well.

It's not something I feel can be defeated by just taking the regions they control, it's going to be impossible to destroy an ideology

And if they did vanish, you can be sure some other alphabet soup terror organisation will become the next bogeyman

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
With the Syrian army and coalition gains along with this uprising one can only hope this is the beginning of the end for ISIS. Finally the people of Raqqa are seeing that ISIS are not the solution to their problems.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: stinkelbaum

there is a saying, 'you made your bed you lie in it' they're about to die in it, no sympathy from me, what i guarantee will happen however, now that it appears russia have cleaned up western journalists will get encamped again, this time showing the horrors committed against isis, bless.
And cry in it I'm sure. Good rids!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

The main reason the are rising up is do to US air strikes and the advance of the SDF to outskirts if the city and other SDF units cutting off the entire area. They are rising up because they know the next phase is an invasion of the city where plenty of people will die in the crossfire. That and ISIS has been in retreat for almost a year and that makes them look vulnerable.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
Really? Wtf are you suggesting people in Raqqa are all brutal nutcases?

Er, no. However, well done for getting so many stars for your misinterpretation of what I said.

new topics

top topics

join