It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor Man's Filet Mignon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I found this video and I thought why not give it a try.

It works! Want a good tender steak? There is no need to go broke buying an expensive cut of meat.

I used Kosher salt because, well it is cheaper than buying sea salt, and this video is showing how to enjoy a tender piece of meat using a tough piece, without using a crock pot. Grill it Broil it, Fry it, this works!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I tell people that I'm a Vegan in between meals.

Thanks. That looks amazing. I had a hard time getting through the 12 minutes, but I took your word for it, and stuck it out.

As soon as we can afford a cheap steak, I'll be thinking of you.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to us!

I have been buying cheap cuts of meat and marinating them for many years. Usually overnight, or multiple pieces for a few days to have it "ready to go" to cook during the workweek. Jack's method is fantastic for the times I forgot to buy marinade or to prep anything.

As much as I love me a good rib-eye, the budget doesn't usually allow for that.
It's more like, take a crappy chuck roast, marinate it one-two days in fridge, slab it up into thick steaks and no one's the wiser.
On sale of course!!!

This is the best tip I've seen since Gordon Ramsey's incidental, meat should "feel" like the skin between your thumb an forefinger when cooked for a perfect med-rare. That little gem took ALL the guess work out of "is the steak done yet?"
Heheheheheh

S & F

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Ribeye is my favorite as well!

I treat myself to a good ribeye 2 or 3 times a year.

Glad you both liked the video, and yes, Jack is kind of long winded.

Send me a U2U and let me know what cut you used and how you thought it came out! I used round steak for my experiment which was on sale, and very interested in how other cuts turn out!

Thanks for your replies!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I do this with rib eye steaks. Sometimes I also lay a spring of rosemary and slices of garlic on top of the salt.
Never fails tender and well seasoned too because some of the salt is absorbed.
Tip: longer is not better. Just gives you saltier meat. I do one hour for one inch thick .

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What is kosher salt.?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I do this with rib eye steaks. Sometimes I also lay a spring of rosemary and slices of garlic on top of the salt.
Never fails tender and well seasoned too because some of the salt is absorbed.
Tip: longer is not better. Just gives you saltier meat. I do one hour for one inch thick .

That's is what the guy in the video said as well. 1 hour for every inch of thickness of the meat.

I am shocked you do that with a ribeye! That's a great idea on the herbs though. I am guessing you put the herbs on before the salt?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
What is kosher salt.?

It is minimally refined and less salty than sea salt or table salt. It got it's name from the Jewish practice of koshering meats!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I do a dry rubbed whole rib roast which is kosher salt, black pepper, ground dried porcini powder, minced garlic, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and a little extra virgin olive oil.

I wrap it plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for a week or so. It ends up having an amazing beef flavor and produces a great crust.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I do a dry rubbed whole rib roast which is kosher salt, black pepper, ground dried porcini powder, minced garlic, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and a little extra virgin olive oil.

I wrap it plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for a week or so. It ends up having an amazing beef flavor and produces a great crust.

One of these days,,,,,,,,I am going to splurge on at least half a rib roast! On my bucket list!
Awesome sounding rub by the way!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I get a 2.99 or less hunk of chuck roast. A packet of Adolph's steak marinade, add water and olive oil and let that sucker sit in a ziplock in the fridge for a couple of days. I do add some additional herbs if feeling frisky like dried rosemary, minced garlic out of the jar or some greek seasoning.

Most important, flip the bag around and turn the meat, LEAVE THE OPEN END UP!!!
Otherwise you will have drippy stuff all over the fridge!
Learnt the hard way once by being careless. Ziplock are NOT totally sealable. Do not believe the advertising!!

I have done this with Lamb and whole sirloin roasts that have been on sale. Learnt the hard way chicken can be over tenderized and Ewwwwww.....just ick!!

JMO but using more natural marinades it takes longer on cheap cuts of meat. Those are 3 day fridge deals. In the video I saw where he pointed out the curled part of the beef. I always wondered why that happened!!!
DUH!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
How can you tell when a clownfish is salivating?

I have to stop coming back to this thread!

I blamed the cow fish for the methane gas emanations off the oceans, but no one got it. Now, I'm wondering what those cow fish will taste like BBQ'd.

I need to repeat after myself, I am a Vegan, I am a Vegan, I am a Vegan (between meals).

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

YAY to the aged meat!!!
A friend of mine freaked I marinated for a few days, but I pointed out those fine steaks she pays top dollar for at the restaurant are most likely aged a week or so. And she didn't die from food poisoning!!

Refridge thermometers are your friend!!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

can't watch the video at the moment, but it looks like a top sirloin in the screen still. if so...thats a decent cut of meat to work with. I like to buy top sirloin to make stew meat/carne guisada with. And it works well for marinades like teryaki.

ill have to check out the video...see what they are doing. Even a good, tender steak benefits from a little extra love.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I do the same trick, but I put salt on both sides. And as said adding fresh herbs works wonders. Did make the mistake (forgot) of leaving one in the fridge that was getting the salt treatment. Even the dogs wouldn't touch that.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I do something like this, except I use really cheap whiskey... low shelf definitely. GILBYS. Place about a cup or two of whiskey in a cake pan... glass or metal (no non stick pans) .. then the raw steak, let it sit 15 seconds to get wet the flip it so both sides are soaked. Next start massaging the steak. In a bit the steak will start to relax, flip and massage, flip and massage. After a minute or two of this you'll notice the whiskey is gray as an elephant's trunk... this is why cheap meat tastes cheap... tallow... the whiskey breaks down the tallow and melts it. Don't rub too much or your steak will be mush... you will want to pour the whiskey down the drain... that or bet your buddy a ten-skee he can't drink it :-) Works awesome... season like normal.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Here is a tip...shop at Costco....great aged prime beef...at a steep discount and save the body from the salt garage.
Cheers

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Try this as a marinade

2 parts Soyvey terryaki sause
1 part frozen Orange juice concentrate ( Do not dilute with water)

Marinate over night.
I love to do this with Angus prime ribeyes, but even sirloin is great.
Another favorite steak of mine is Skirt steaks. I slice them and roll them into pin wheels with a skewer holding them together. The skirt steak doesnt need a long marinade, as it soaks it up very quickly.
A chuck eye is the poor mans Fillet Mignon. The salt procedure would work fine on that steak.
Cheers!

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Because even though a rib eye is a tender cut we still can only get choice cuts in the grocery stores and this process changes that choice cut to a prime cut.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I lay a branch on top of the salt. The salt carries the flavor into the meat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join