It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your view of the "selling your soul" concept?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Define "soul" however you wish, there is certainly no set definition and there's no way to prove that such a thing exists. Personally, I don't think it matters if there's such a thing as a "soul" in order for the "selling your soul" concept to be valid.

The way I see it is "selling your soul" is doing things that you consider to be immoral for your own gain. Those who don't believe in morals could be exempt from that. The reason I see it that way is because you can't really break a rule that doesn't exist.

It's appropriate to consider how the phrase "sold my soul" has been used by famous people:

“You know what was going on in my life at 15, and ... that’s how I got introduced to the music industry, because I swear I wanted to be like the Amy Grant of music, but it did not work out. And so I sold my soul to the Devil.”
- Katy Perry

Interviewer: Why are you still out here?
Bob Dylan: It goes back to that destiny thing. I made a bargain with it, you know, long time ago. And I’m holding up my end.
Interviewer: What was your bargain?
Bob Dylan: To get where I am now.
Interviewer: Should I ask who you made the bargain with?
Bob Dylan: With the Chief Commander.
Interviewer: On this Earth?
Bob Dylan: In this earth and in a world we can’t see.

“I sold my soul to the devil, thats a crappy deal. Least it came with a few toys like a happy meal.”
- Kanye West

When asked what he would sell his soul to the Devil for, he said: ''I already have. Well, you sell your soul to the Devil when you do something yourself that you shouldn't, and I already have. I've f***ing lived my life to the fullest. If there's an afterlife, I've got a good f***ing spot in the furnace, you know?''
Ozzy Osbourne 'sold soul' to the devil

That last quote from Ozzy Osbourne sums up how I feel about it. When you cross a line that you know you shouldn't in trying to gain something, that's the moment you "sell your soul." There's no need for such a thing as an actual "soul" to exist, there's no need for absolute morality. You know it for yourself because as Osbourne said, "you do something yourself that you shouldn't."

And, again, it may be controversial to say this but it's also my belief that people with no moral compass are probably incapable of "selling their soul."
edit on 20-3-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Well, yes. That's the commonly understood metaphorical usage.

There is also, however, a literal usage, which came first. No doubt you have heard of the old Germanic legend of Faust.

edit on 20/3/16 by Astyanax because: of typos

link   

How can you sell what isn't yours or is the greater part of what we are? I'm no more able to sell Buckingham Palace or the sky above my head.

When people talk of selling their soul, I suspect they are selling something they don't know is real to some entity they don't know is real according to rules that nobody knows are real.

link   

I don't believe you can 'sell your soul' because you ARE soul. You can sell your body, but your soul is who and what you are...you can't 'sell it'.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

When I was 16 I was in the back of a cop car being transported to juvie. In my head I said "devil if you get me out of this you can have my soul", in an insane twist of fate, a few seconds later there was an accident in the intersection we were sitting at. The cop got out to assist, but I never got away.

I'm not really a religious person at all, but if it is real I think I sold mine.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

One can not sell something that doesn't belong to said person to begin with...

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
A lot of good replies. God's word says:

(Ezekiel 18:4) 4 Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

So everyone, and their soul belongs to God. And the soul is the person. Not anything else. It is the life a person has. If a person sins, that person, his life-force will cease to exist.

Seems pretty simple.

So NO. A human cannot sell their souls to the devil. They can open themselves up to demon possession, etc. But even in the Bible Jesus expelled many demons from people. And freed their souls from demons and the devil. He can still do so today. Even among the people who think they are the most lost in demon possession.

And just to make it clear, there is no doubt that demon possessed people who deny scripture and Jesus are everywhere on this website, and basically everywhere in general on earth.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I don't believe you can 'sell your soul' because you ARE soul. You can sell your body, but your soul is who and what you are...you can't 'sell it'.

What if you are the spirit which is created by the soul and I personally believe matter is what creates souls altough many I think believe the soul is ageless and uncreated.

The spirit is the dynamic part of you and the soul is the static part, which has a lot to do with your memories. The spirit is in the here and now but the soul is someplace else too and there is a whole mechanism involved (which is why the devil wants extra souls). But you won't know what you have till it's gone.

Maybe people should try renting it? It is priceless but then both can still get what they want even if temporary.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If someone is giving up their will in order to gain something, are they not selling their will (which I would call the essence of the soul) to get that thing?

Consider the seven deadly sins for instance, every one of them can consume (I would say possess) a person if they're not careful. And, they can change the person's behavior. The "green-eyed monster" is an excellent example.

I'm coming at this from the exact opposite side you are. I think it's extremely easy to sell your soul. That doesn't mean it's permanent. But, in the case of someone being consumed (or possessed) by envy and consequently becoming a "green-eyed monster", it's clear to me that the person has sold their soul (in the sense of losing control of it by doing the wrong thing to try to gain something while knowing they shouldn't), even if the control the person gives up is slight.

originally posted by: Akragon

One can not sell something that doesn't belong to said person to begin with...

What's your rationale for that statement/insinuation? Religion or something else? Please be specific.

If you're stating that the soul doesn't belong to a person, are you saying that people have no free will?
edit on 20-3-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
If you are willing to sell your soul ... then it is not yet worth enough to buy ... as if such a thing were possible
edit on 20-3-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

You can't sell your soul. You can only get it grubby. And then it needs a good rinse. When you rinse it is up to you, but if you don't do it before your life comes to a close it will carry into the next life and influence it. This is what 'baptism' is for, or in Latin, Praterlambo. The best way to rinse it is in a twin tub washer with a spin at the end. That gives us Prelate Rumba, the Lord's Dance.

There. Doesn't your soul feel cleaner already?

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Selling your soul is the same as signing a spiritual contract.

When you die, do you want to keep having to obey orders from your master(s) or do you want total freedom to travel anywhere in the universe ?

Everyone who signs up for a spiritual contract is basically screwed for eternity.

Oh and spirits do exist. There have been multiple experiments where the physical weight of a body has decreased slightly after the person dies.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
If you believe you have/are something to sell - you are a rich man - a rich man cannot enter the kingdom.
It is not that you have to have nothing to enter the kingdom - it has to be realized that 'you' are not.
To identify 'yourself' as a thing separate to all that is - is separation from peace (the kingdom of heaven).

Selling 'yourself' as a product with a name/label (identity) is imprisonment.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Maybe we all have already sold it and had the prize before we was born,and now we are all here on planet hell 😩a reply to: Profusion

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Its metaphorical, akin to the 'wages of sin are death'.

It is an exchange. A little at a time for most. You sell your soul a little bit each time you go against what you know is right in your heart.

Like if you smoke and or drink for instance, you now its unhealthy and yet you do it anyway. Eventually it kills you, one little bit at a time. The all added up 'wages' of smoking are death…

You don't want to sell your soul, don't go against what you know is right in your heart.

I know, boring, we'd rather meet the devil at the crossroads. Thats a fairy tale (trust me every musician has read the story). Success and fame as a musician is a lot of hard work. The people that got there earned it.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: LifeisGrand
A lot of good replies. God's word says:

(Ezekiel 18:4) 4 Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

So everyone, and their soul belongs to God. And the soul is the person. Not anything else. It is the life a person has. If a person sins, that person, his life-force will cease to exist.

Seems pretty simple.

So NO. A human cannot sell their souls to the devil. They can open themselves up to demon possession, etc. But even in the Bible Jesus expelled many demons from people. And freed their souls from demons and the devil. He can still do so today. Even among the people who think they are the most lost in demon possession.

And just to make it clear, there is no doubt that demon possessed people who deny scripture and Jesus are everywhere on this website, and basically everywhere in general on earth.

Based on the above, it seems it would be very possible since the person could offer/accept death in return for something. In other words, offer up his immortal soul in exchange. Agree to die hereafter for something given now. To deny eternity. To deny belonging to God and Son.

That makes sense.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

No. God said that the soul that sins will die. Not that it is immortal.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Thanks for posting. I don't buy into the soul selling as most take it. I am an Atheist. I think it's a metaphor the musicians say, Pertaining, to selling their "soul" to the music industry. just my opinion. I don't see Lucifer taking bids for fame, for ones soul. I don't believe a god has access to your soul either. as, my belief, there isn't a god at all. we all, our are own god imho. so roll on and do your thing, if, you believe you have a soul, fine. It is yours and not a fictitious person in the sky's to take or the underground for that matter.

We all, are the ones who have the control ourselves, to do what we want, change, be what we desire. Has nothing to do with a higher power. believe in ones self and achieve greatness from within you. you don't need to buy into the dogma. you are great as you are. just you, no help from, um , the worlds favorite imaginary friend. Or the "devil" for that matter. Have an amazing day folks. believe in yourself, you will rise above!

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

There are two ways to look at it:

1.) There is the actual spiritual transaction where you do a deal with dark powers or entities in exchange for earthly gain. We are warned against it when we are admonished not to be OF the world. If you sell your soul, that is all you will ever be, but boy will you ever be important in some way while you are here!

2.) The other way is simply as a saying that means you sold out your principles for some reason.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: LifeisGrand
a reply to: StallionDuck

No. God said that the soul that sins will die. Not that it is immortal.

I think you're missing my point.

The soul that sins will die... yes. If it doesn't sin, it's immortal.

So... Selling one's soul would be like saying, I will give up my sinless immortal soul to die in trade for this thing given. Like saying "I will renounce my faith in all that is holy in return for this woman I love. Give her to me and I will deny God". Thus giving your soul over to sin instead of accepting forgiveness. It's making a choice to give up one thing for another.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join