It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your view of the "selling your soul" concept?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It's a metaphor for repeatedly going against your own conscience. There is a price for that. It produces guilt(and sometimes other consequences) you have to live with. Sometimes, for the rest of your life. In effect, selling your "soul".

We humans are a gullible lot. We'll believe anything. Especially if someone with a beard wrote it down thousands of years ago, and said it was true.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Selling your soul is a euphemism for permanently dishonoring yourself and your fellow man.
edit on 20-3-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I see it as materialism vs. spirituality. If you're overly vain or narcissistic, you have put your spiritual existence on the back burner in favor of temporary pleasure and happiness.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
All one ever sells is potentiality, that is there for each human. Some people call that soul, others an open destiny. Either way its a big loss.a reply to: Profusion

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I think "selling your soul" means:

1.) You sold your individuality and personal will for something else you think is of more value.

2.) You sold your personal freedom and by that your ability to be truely happy for something you think is of more value.

3.) You sold your vehicle, in which you can travel out of this realm when you die. By doing so you agreed to stay in the "wheel of karma and re-incarnation", which means you can not leave the karusell, you must return for another crappy ride untill you recognize your sh!tty bargin as such.

But I'm convinced that IF one would have known all the consequences of that bargin (selling ones soul), one would not have done it. Therefore one can call a divine authority to get one out of the mess one has managed to get into. That means: Even IF one "sold" ones soul, that was only done because one was not properly informed about the consequences and therefore one is NOT bound by that kind of "contract", no matter if it was written in blood or not.

It's like as if you thought you buy a Picasso but what you really bought was just a copy. And that is Betrug, a fraud, and can therefore brought to court. But a divine laywer is needed to argue your case, IF you have been that stupid to think you can buy a Picasso for a few thousand dollars.

That's my take on it.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Instructions, just in case anyone feels like giving the literal interpretation a try.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I'll bet Satan's website is amazing

Some serious soul selling involved with all that

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I was told once that it had to do with going against everything you thought you knew, turning away from your own rationality and choosing to try something "irrational." And it doesn't have anything to do with guilt, or shame, or even doing evil- but being in a desperate spot and having nowhere else to turn... so you lose your mind for a little bit.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

When you cross a line that you know you shouldn't in trying to gain something, that's the moment you "sell your soul." There's no need for such a thing as an actual "soul" to exist, there's no need for absolute morality.

So we're all good in asking for everything - Always suspected as much. Completely wipe any thoughts of heaven & hell from your mindset and there is no judgement

The law of Thelema is "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will." The law of Thelema was developed in the early 1900s by Aleister Crowley, an English writer and ceremonial magician

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
If you are willing to sell your soul ... then it is not yet worth enough to buy ... as if such a thing were possible

Someone or Something put a value on it and hoodwinked/convinced the Human it was a marketable commodity. Apparently it works (earthly gifts now) vs an uncertain eternal future (who cares until they get to destination). So much better to be rich and powerful NOW (in a world one thinks is actually REAL)! I would not sign the contract as there is bound to be invisible ink involved.
edit on 20-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
From where I'm standing, the universe and everything in it is a river. It flows by, around and through us, as we are made from the same stuff it is. Sometimes, we imagine the little drop of water that encapsulates our being-ness is all that there is, but that is never true. We are all of the drops in the river. We just can't be them all at once.

So we delude ourselves. We splinter off into factions and imagine that our view of the water is the only correct one because -- for us -- that's all there is. We create reflections of god, as small as we are, and imagine that all truth is contained within that drop.

But it's not, and it never was. How could it be? The universe and everything in it is a river. Each drop is just a window into the water. It is never the whole river because being the whole river is too big a job for any particular drop of water.

And so you get what we have here, which is, a bunch of well meaning drips who imagine they are the river itself. They have the answers because their window is the "right" one. But that has never been true for me, and it is certainly not true about any of you. It can't be. We aren't big enough to be the whole river. Our individual belief systems aren't big enough. Our fears aren't big enough. Our dreams aren't big enough.

And that is why it is impossible to sell your soul to some external force or power. Because there is no external force or power. The power of the river is in everyone, and everything, and it is always going to flow where it is always going to go.

edit on 20-3-2016 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I tend to see it in a couple different lights, using the literature:
1. As a teaching tool - Back when the Devil was considered basically a corrupt businessman, selling your soul basically implied that not only would you get everything you dreamed of wanting, (money, fame, that pretty girl or guy that caught your eye elsewhere), but that in the end, the devil would get you. Basically: He played on your temptations, knowing full well that the chances of you escaping the bargain were pretty close.

2. As a vague way of saying "There's no way he could just be that good" - As a musician, I often hear that many modern-day famous musicians sold their souls to become as good as they are now. The only one that I believe might have sold something (keyword "might") would be Paganini. Back in that time, I'd probably be rumored to have sold my soul as well (I don't need sheet music - play all my concerts in full with the music still in my folder).

3. As a literal spiritual contract - Too many stories are out there for me to believe that all of them were just stories. If theoretical dark witches can make pacts with their familiars or demons, then it should theoretically be possible for Average Joe to make a contract with some kind of entity. Assuming this, it's not really "selling" your soul, but rather saying "I will help you when it's my time to go". Kind of like the opposite of asking God/Jesus/Allah for help, saying you'll (stop drinking, donate to a charity, be a better person) change.

-foss

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
My view? ......ask Leadbelly

edit on 20-3-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Someone or Something put a value on it and hoodwinked/convinced the Human it was a marketable commodity. Apparently it works (earthly gifts now) vs an uncertain eternal future (who cares until they get to destination). So much better to be rich and powerful NOW (in a world one thinks is actually REAL)! I would not sign the contract as there is bound to be invisible ink involved.

We used to use the term "Selling Out" ... You see it everywhere in every walk of life ...
If the soul exists then it is a gift ... the value of the soul is that which it earns/self worth

Many people live their life's as if they were the body alone, yet the body betrays the owner, we all die

I choose to never put money first in the choices I make
No amount of bribery will buy my time and energy if it means going against what I feel is the right thing.

edit on 21-3-2016 by artistpoet because: Typo

edit on 21-3-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I only say it when I know I have done something I gladly burn in the hell for

Would not change a single thing , no regrets

Anyone can suck it to me even god I would never do something that i would not forgive myself the reason must have been hell worth it to me

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: reasonableness
I gladly burn in the hell

Oh if only you knew what the Lake of Fire is truly like. If you did, you would repent in the name of Christ Messiah instantly.

i will give you a clue. Watch the film 'Constantine' featuring Keanu Reeves.

All that is heard is the wind and the flames because every sinner is nothing more than a flesh-less skeleton. As the flames scorch their bones they stand screaming to the blackened sky. However, with their jaws wide open, their screams are silent as their fleshy lungs, larynx and throat were burned out long ago.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rapha
Oh if only you knew what the Lake of Fire is truly like. If you did, you would repent in the name of Christ Messiah instantly.

i will give you a clue. Watch the film 'Constantine' featuring Keanu Reeves.

All that is heard is the wind and the flames because every sinner is nothing more than a flesh-less skeleton. As the flames scorch their bones they stand screaming to the blackened sky. However, with their jaws wide open, their screams are silent as their fleshy lungs, larynx and throat were burned out long ago.

So is that what a 'loving God' does? Roasts you for all eternity? Sounds more like a vindictive prick.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So is that what a 'loving God' does? Roasts you for all eternity? Sounds more like a vindictive prick.

Well said ...

Religion can sure damage a persons mind with it's fearful indoctrinations ...
Why do people do this sh@t to each other ...
Some fool people with their costumes of authority
Pretending to be agents and intermediaries for their own particular God

The evil perpetrated by them far outweighs those of so called sin and has nothing to do with God

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

What else do you expect to get from Yahweh along with his brother Lucifer.

The Annunaki (Enki and Enlil) (Lucifer and Yahweh) have used humans as slaves since Adam & Eve.

The loving God beyond this universe is the opposite to the fallen 'angel' Yahweh.

Even Morpheus (Iblis - leader of the fiery jinn) in the film Matrix gives Neo (oNe - the first - Adam) a red pill (the red Apple of Knowledge) a clue that Adam is a slave for the Annunaki aliens.

So naturally if a elitist want to make human peasants suffer then they end up in fiery hell tortured by the jinn for all eternity. Its called payback for their Crimes Against Humanity.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

That has got to be one of the most unhinged answers I have gotten in close to nine years here. Maybe you should lay off the religion for a awhile, it seems to have a rather unsettling affect on your perception, particularly when you start mixing in fictional films and trying to make them fit into a concocted belief system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join