It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new case of BSE in Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Another case of mad cow disease is being reported in Alberta, Canada, this just as the U.S is preparing to re-open the doors on beef imports. This case is in addition to the one from last week. Personally I think I'm done with beef for quite a while. This should not be happening with the publicity and supposed stringent inspection levels.

www.alertnet.org...

brill

[edit on 11-1-2005 by brill]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The U.S. shouldn't be preparing to restart Canadian beef imports now, this is insane.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The U.S. shouldn't be preparing to restart Canadian beef imports now, this is insane.

You believe that the US supply is any better? From everything I have read Canada's testing procedures are around 2 decades ahead of the US in this area, which is why you are hearing more cases in Canada then in the US, at least thats what I believe right now.

Of course we would't even have this problem if farmers didn't feed thier animals....ground up animals

[edit on 11-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
well no, what makes you think that? our agriculture is more advanced and makes much more money so it can afford better safety, and better sanitation.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
You believe that the US supply is any better? From everything I have read Canada's testing procedures are around 2 decades ahead of the US in this area, which is why you are hearing more cases in Canada then in the US, at least thats what I believe right now.

Of course we would't even have this problem if farmers didn't feed thier animals....ground up animals

Absolutely what I believe too. We have some serious problems here in the US when it comes to this issue. Banning beef from a country that has more safeguards in place and truthfully reports them is suppossed to make us feel safe about the beef we are consuming? A country that was one of the last to put safeguards in place? Personally, I think not.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Frankly, with everything that is going on right now, I'm more likely to die from a terrorist attack, be it nuke, or bio - so I say
Give me a 16 oz porterhouse, and an ice cold Killians draught - make it rare, and don't forget the potato and all the fixin's.
Mmmmm mmmm

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Eat up Yanks!

HAHA

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The only case of BSE in the U.S. was in a cow that came from Canada. It has been illegal to feed any animal products to cows/cattle here for a very long time as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veebomb_Canada
Eat up Yanks!

HAHA

See, see! I knew these maple leafs are trying to kill us and take our country!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Canadian WMD?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I love how this happened just as the US was set to resume imports.

It reminds me of the oil thing.. and how Iraqs oil has 'stopped flowing'.

Its like any Texan industry is being boosted while other similar industries in other countries are being disrupted.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vis Mega
I love how this happened just as the US was set to resume imports.

It reminds me of the oil thing.. and how Iraqs oil has 'stopped flowing'.

Its like any Texan industry is being boosted while other similar industries in other countries are being disrupted.

That's why the Canadian government released this information...to protect the Texas cattle industry, right.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The only case of BSE in the U.S. was in a cow that came from Canada. It has been illegal to feed any animal products to cows/cattle here for a very long time as well.

Really evidance please? Any links to your theory? Ask FredT what is legal and what is not he can probably give you a very graphic description if you're so inclined

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Really evidance please? Any links to your theory? Ask FredT what is legal and what is not he can probably give you a very graphic description if you're so inclined

Cant a Canadian just once admit a flaw? Face it, you cant stomp BSE from your cattle. Its a problem that needs to be fixed. Deal with it. And you know what? Canada is suffering from this, not the US. Canada stands to lose $4 billion US over this.

You ask an armchair poster on an internet chat forum to post evidence of something, but in reality your country has sick cattle and the US wont buy it. Thats a RL fact. How much more proof do you need?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Skippy you are obviously ignorant of the Agriculture practices as well as our involvment in the UK mad cow crises in the 90s. After the crises in the 90s Canada tightened up its testing regimine to UK standards which are the toughest in the world now considering they had a whopping 183,803 cases total. Canada has had a grand total of....4. America has detected 1.

And BTW FredT is an honest poster(and Moderator too) and he has not given me any reason to believe he is lying(and he is american too) Put aside your misplaced patriotism and look at things rationally.

One other thing. BSE Would not even be a problem if we didn't feed cows to cows. Simple as that but NOOO. They gotta go the cost effient way. As FredT put it "In a slaughter house NOTHING goes to waste"

en.wikipedia.org...

The remaining carcass may be further processed to extract any residual traces of meat, usually termed mechanically reclaimed meat, which may be used for human or animal consumption.

And here is the thread in which fredT said this
www.abovetopsecret.com...

One thing as some mebers have pointed out, EVRY part of the cow is used. I have the misfortune of working a few months in a meat packing plant and i can tell you that nothing goes to waste.

And there you have it. Take it or leave it buds. I complain ALOT about my gov't, and the commercial practices but ya know what I don't let my patriotism cloud my judgment. I condemn Canada just as quickly as the USA and the UK for letting this problem happen in the first place. It's not like scientists have not know about the potential of a problem like this for some time.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

You are right sardion2000. Seems Canada tests 1/600 cows (3.3 million slaughtered per year), and the U.S. tests 1/1700 cows (35 million slaughtered per year). That's why we're hearing about BSE in Canada but not the U.S.

Agree totally on the feed. Chicken, pork ruminants plus beef blood and fat are still going into ALL animal feed, not just cattle. Its disgusting! And American friends...it goes on on both sides of the border! Don't think you are safe! I've decided to start buying Halal meats. Halal doesn't just apply to the way the animals are slaughtered and bled, but to how they are raised and what they are fed.

There's another thread on the subject with lots of good info BTW.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 13/1/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Look, the post is about a case of CANADIAN bse. But somehow certain posters (Canadians by chance) have turned this into a USA problem. Figures.

2 Cases of Canadian BSE in 10 days, 3 total. There goes your $4 billion dollars a year. You can comment on my opinion as much as you want, bottom line is that you have sick cows the US wont touch.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Look, the post is about a case of CANADIAN bse. But somehow certain posters (Conadians by chance) have turned this into a USA problem. Figures.

2 Cases of Canadian BSE in 10 days, 3 total. There goes your $4 billion dollars a year. You can comment on my opinion as much as you want, bottom line is that you have sick cows the US wont touch.

Alrighty it looks like you do not know what you are talking about. Did you even read the links? Did I say I was condeming the USA alone? Dont put words into my mouth bud . Keep living in your bubble of denial and you better hope you don't start getting parkinsons-like symptoms. I have seen actual human patients with diseases very much like BSe and it ain't pretty.

Skippy do yourself a favor, pay a visit to your local Slaughterhouse and ask alot of questions, you will come back a changed person trust me on this. I'm not doing this out of spite I truely want us to change our agriculture practices but your attitude of "Everything is fine here nothing to see" makes the matter worse and could cost lives. Or don't you care?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Mmm...looks like other countries wont touch Canadian beef either. I suppose this is all the US's fault too....

www.ctv.ca...

"Canada's agriculture minister has failed to persuade South Korea to lift a ban on Canadian beef amid fears of mad cow disease.

Agriculture Minister Bob Speller arrived in South Korea on Monday, beginning a series of meetings with officials in Asian countries on Canadian beef..."

Just say "no" to Canadian beef!

[edit on 13-1-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The only confirmed case of BSE in the United States was from Canada.

From www.cdc.gov...

APHIS, in collaboration with CFIA, traced the birth of the BSE-positive cow to a farm in Alberta, Canada.

As far as the feed, my original statement was probably too broad, but these are the facts from www.aphis.usda.gov...:

Q: Does the United States still permit the feeding of ruminant protein to ruminants?
A: On August 4, 1997, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) established regulations that prohibit the feeding of most mammalian proteins to ruminants.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join