It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people vote?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Who votes for these clowns?

Maybe just drunk thoughts, but... how come we haven't actually come together to make this world ,,,,a better place?

Why are we still bull#ting with these puppets?

When or if, are we going to physically come together and try to make this world a better spot?

Why do you vote? Or not?
edit on 1032016 by southernplayalistic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
As much as we all realize that in many governments the one 'in charge' is just the one there for show, I would say voting is a lot like playing the lottery. Sure, most of us know the odds are 1 in 100,000,000+, but we play because we get to imagine a better future, even if we know nothing will really come of it.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: southernplayalistic

The old saying.
"If you don't vote. You can't complain"
Has any of my votes come true? No.
But I did my part. Unfortunately I lack the money to make a difference. Yes I paid my taxes. No dependents + 5 dollars... 20 years worth.

I'm a humble schmuck at this point.
But if I ran.. my slogan is..
" This country needs an a$$ whooping "...
That's my slogan.

Edit: physically? Well working in my feild. It resulted in 7 back surgeries.. no gullbladder..2 neck surgeries.. some cancer. And finally no balls to stand up to my mother ( not true with mom... born at 4 lbs and a cord around my neck. I've come to the point I will speak up )

edit on 10-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Well, first of all, everybody sucks--including you and me.

That's why we can't get anything right. Anyway, we have a government, and it's our right to vote. If you don't vote, then what's to say that right won't be taken away? Just vote. Who cares if it matters or not. Just do your civic duty. It's easy. And you get a cute little I Voted sticker, too.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

That is the absolute stupidest reason I've ever heard to vote. Who cares if it matters or not, do it anyways? No thanks.
Also, I hate stickers.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Oh, word? You get a sticker? Count me in

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Politicians are put there to give us the idea that we have freedom of choice when in fact they are all owned controlled by the same people.

The same people being the shadow govt who can reward with life long income amount donations, fire a politicans by witholding election campagin funds, coerece and intimidate by knowing dirty secrets, blackmail, framing, etc, need I go on.

Also inlcuded in the shodow govt are the media. The media is a subversive organization, no one elected them but they have enormous power and influence.

They are a rouge organisation or industry that no one elected or permitted to be established and have become a power structure.

We can always tell who the media is barracking for because they only talk about that candidate, or alliteratively, dont talk about a particular candidate, (think in terms of Ron Paul last time.)

The masses of course dont know any this or they believe what there told to believe by the media. We know of course, that television is a weapon of mass deception and an instrument of social control.

So despite the appearance of democracy by having political candidates campaigning and letting people vote at the end of designated period, the veneer of democracy is maintained and so people think they live in a democracy.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Here because you get a fine otherwise I can't think of any other incentive

That's valuable 29min of beach time, bbq, booze and hot chickens in bikini and flip flopin WASTED

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I do not vote any more. I do not believe we actually get a say in who is appointed chairman of the USA CORP. People that do vote think it matters and want to believe they have control. I do not think it has ever mattered. It has always been a manufactured circus for the purpose of distraction. While everyone is is pretending to be consumed with silly elections the all powerful OZ is quietly pulling levers of another kind behind the curtain.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
We vote because we have been given the illusion of democracy when in truth the winner of a presidential campaign os the person with the richest backers.

I dont vote, and I shall refrain from doing so until I have the right to vote on every issue that affects my life. That would be a democracy, so things must change

"Every generation needs a new revolution" ~ Thomas Jefferson

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
People say if you don't vote you can't complain. So I vote so I can continue to complain.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr
I've never liked that. We all have the right to complain, many nonvoters here just would rather complain about the corruption of the whole system & scam that is voting rather than about how our guy lost or how the system sucks under one party or another's rule.
I happily don't vote nor do I complain. Our society deserves its plight.
edit on 10-3-2016 by Esoterotica because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr
If you don't vote, you can't complain .... About your party not winning
About your party winning and then doing a U-turn on every promise they made to get your vote
Et cetera
Et cetera
You can still complain about, bad politics, unfair legislation, greedy and corrupt politicians... And the corporations (also greedy and corrupt) that fund them, and your misapropated tax dollars/euros/ pounds
edit on America/ChicagoThu, 10 Mar 2016 06:04:37 -0600Thu, 10 Mar 2016 06:04:37 -06002016Thu, 10 Mar 2016 06:04:37 -06002016-03-10T06:04:37-06:00201610America/Chicago by errorcode because: i wasn't finished

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Esoterotica yes it's a silly notion. Complaining is all part of free speech and own moods and beliefs are subject to change over time

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I vote because I can - too many people are denied the right and many, many people fought for that right.

Sure, the system isn't perfect - not by a long a long chalk - but its the one we have at present and if we want to change the system for the better then we must also engage with it. (That's not to say that I disagree with other methods of achieving change).

Perhaps you should be asking 'Why don't people vote?' - I think that would be more revealing.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I vote because I believe it makes a difference.
Some years ago my MP was elected with less than 20 votes making the difference.
There were 2 recounts, I was part of the local authority counting team, I knew most of the other counters, physical paper ballots, locked boxes, CCTV everywhere. There was no way it was rigged.

If I and my friends had not voted we would have the Satanic Conservative candidate in Parliament lol, so yes I believe in my vote.

Maybe it's the electronic voting thing you have in the states, who knows, but the system is pretty transparent here in the UK as far as my experience in the counting goes.

*Edit*
If 20 people who voted the same as me hadn't bothered then we wouldn't have had the exceptionally hard working MP we got, campaigning for local issues, advocacy work for citizens, and passionate about the job. Voting matters, very much.
edit on 10.3.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
People say if you don't vote you can't complain. So I vote so I can continue to complain.

Enough said
edit on 10-3-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I vote in my country, because I believe in democracy after a fashion. I believe that ours is corrupt as can be, populated and controlled by persons who have their own best interests, not the best interests of the people, at heart. But I also believe that all it takes is for the people to realise the same and vote outside their normal sphere, in order to alter the fate of our nation, end the cycle that has driven things ever more askew throughout our history.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
I vote in my country, because I believe in democracy after a fashion. I believe that ours is corrupt as can be, populated and controlled by persons who have their own best interests, not the best interests of the people, at heart.

Agreed, but regarding the actual voting process, I think ours is almost as good as it can be at avoiding electoral fraud.

Certainly in my constituency the ballot boxes are sealed, and monitored by 'normal' council employees doing a bit of overtime while people cast their votes.
Nobody is with the boxes without a chaperone, even the 'normal' council employees who drive the vans to the counting hall are in pairs. The counting hall is an open plan room of tables with monitors from all political parties, and the many counters are all 'normal' council employees who generally know each other.

For electoral fraud to occur it would require a conspiracy of tens of thousands of 'normal' council employees around the country being involved in the secret. That of course is a ridiculous idea.
Even if the ballot boxes were magically 'switched' at some point it would take an army of conspirators to complete the phony ballot sheets writing different sized X's and adding comments to spoiled papers - again ridiculous.

When I was a counter I saw thousands of variations of X's, spidery old people writing, big bold X's, different colour pens etc etc, so while I absolutely agree that our politicians are corrupt as hell, the electoral process is not.

The only thing I would change is a requirement for ID at the polling booths to avoid the possibility that someone uses the vote of a person they know is not going to vote. I knew one of my mates was not voting last year so I could easily have gone to his polling station and pretended to be him.
That may be a minor risk of electoral fraud, but in my area when it came down to less than 20 votes to keep the Conservative candidate out, such a fraud 'could' have made a difference.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It must never come to pass that someone require papers in order to be allowed to vote. Never. That is because it must never be absolutely necessary for someone to own a document proving their identity. One is not currently obliged to own a passport, a driving license, or to have possession of their birth certificate or any credentials of any kind, unless they deem it preferable to have those things, and persons without those things may still vote.

That must remain the case.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join