It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people vote?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Hmm, okay, how about you must take the ballot slip/voting card which was posted to the registered voters address on the electoral role?
How else do you stop me voting at the polling station I know my mate won't use and pretend to be him?

...I'm anti-ID for the record, I've refused the picture driving license on principle and would be happy to have my day in court if a cop is that bored he wants to nick me for it.
I love my passport though because I do rather love leaving the UK occasionally.
edit on 10.3.2016 by grainofsand because: Typo & Clarity

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I need to chime in because this is something I have been pondering on for the last ten years. I am glad some one put George Carlins remarks in here as they are very similar to mine. A true democracy is based on the fact that the governed must want to be governed. I for one do not want to be governed by a bunch of children in adults clothing. I have grown up with the ideology that respect is earned not given. The fact that in Canada we give people like the late Flaherty titles like honourable is laughable. I was talking to someone who knew Flaherty personally and I made the comment that he was just an Irish drunk. The persons response was that I shouldn't insult drunks by including Flaherty in their list.

Prime Minister Harper was found to be in Contempt of Parliament and should not have been eligible for election his last term. However when you look at Canada the Governor General is the head of our country and is not elected but is appointed. The Governor General is actually a de facto position meaning the Governor General position exists and is in effect only because no one has questioned the legitimacy of it. At least that is my understanding of it.

I can honestly say that there is not one politician I have ever shook hands with and looked eye to eye that I have trusted. I have personally watch Crusty(Christy) Clark's assistants comb the crowd to find what wardrobe she should wear to give her speech. Why would I ever willingly give these people my consent to have them tell me what is right or wrong. All you have to do is look at B.C. and it's marijuana legislation to figure out that politicians are not a representative of their constituents as they are suppose to be. A 2004 SFU study showed 53% of survey participants had tried marijuana.

I personally think the biggest problem in politics is party politics. A person should be elected as a representative of their electoral area. That elective should then just be the voice of that electoral area, not the voice of his parties interest. I think that is where the biggest flaw comes in because they no longer are representatives but rather just another cog in a broken machine.

Cheers, Nuts

edit on 10-3-2016 by IronNuts because: Teacher's always told me to proof read and I never would.....they were right!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I stopped voting for President when it was apparent that the peoples vote didnt matter. Bush Vs Gore. Gore won the votes of the people (not mine) but lost to Bush.

Also, the President is announced before the polls in California close. They dont even pretend that our vote counts.

I still vote local, but the Oligarcy has control over the highest offices in our land. Feeble old Congressmen and Senators need to be purged. The electoral College and super deligates need to go. When the corrupt leaders are held accountable for their deeds, and the prisons are full of them. Then I will vote again, otherwise its an exercise in stupidity.

IMO voting for the least of the evils, is still giving my approval to the evil.

I might actually vote for Trump, because I think when he wins the popular vote and they refuse to give him presidency, there might finally be enough people awake enough to revolt against the Oligarcy. What a sweet day that will be.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I try to vote every time, however it will usually consist of me spoiling my ballot and scribbling all over it a vote of no confidence in any of these clowns

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
One major reason is because society tells you if you don't vote, there's something wrong with you. It's somewhere on that spectrum. People are inspired by the fear of being shamed, so they vote.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join