It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archinaut, a 3D Printing Robot to Make Big Structures in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hello ATS.......Got some pretty cool news here. Well, actually, some very cool news. 3D printing is moving into space! This is something we've discussed before here on ATS as something that NASA should do but now it's really happening. A company known as Made in Space has developed a zero gravity 3D printer prototype. With this prototype, Astronauts will be able to print tools, food, and the real kicker will be large scale structures! That's righ! Made in Space is teaming up with Boeing to build what's called "Archinaut." A large-scale 3D printer with an arm which will build large structures in orbit.

The robot's body is a 3D printer that makes parts from a digital design, which can be even larger than the printer itself. A robotic arm attached to the printer can piece these homegrown parts together with other pre-fabricated parts into a larger structure. No human required.

The initial phase of the project will wrap up in 2018 when Archinaut will demonstrate the ability to 3D print and assemble structures in orbit. If all goes to plan, the team hopes to scale the printer up and add more robotic arms.

And that’s when the fun begins. The in-orbit manufacturing Archinaut promises would liberate missions from the typical constraints of launch.

This is exciting news, ATS. The time has come for the future to unfold before our eyes. This new technology will open up the universe in ways yet to imagine. Things will get really good when 4-D printing gets into Space.

singularityhub.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Fantastic. If only this robotic 3D printer could be adapted to collect space junk and recycle it in its printing.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
And where will they obtain the raw materials? Mining missions to the asteroid belt?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Kool stuff this is a logical way to get it done on large scale...
However 3d printing is not moving into space it has been used in space forever infact it was conceived for space...
When you loose a tool as you are working in space you don't chase after it, you make a new one if needed to complete the mission...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Astronauts will be able to print tools, food,

Food?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Food?

Yes, you can make food with 3D printers as well as objects.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
And where will they obtain the raw materials? Mining missions to the asteroid belt?

They will start with near Earth asteroids. There are too many to count actually. There are also many near Earth asteroids that are considered planet killers. We should start with those.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

Actually I think InTheLight is right. Start with recycling/mining all the orbiting space junk first. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Great find OP

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Wow, I never heard that before. Do you have any kind of reference material or a link on that. I had thought that the printers printed only sold objects of non-organic nature, but food with nutirents and life sustaining properties? What kind of raw material would be used to do this. If these three d printers can print food, I wonder why they are not using them to feed the masses down here on Earth.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Wow, I never heard that before. Do you have any kind of reference material or a link on that. I had thought that the printers printed only sold objects of non-organic nature, but food with nutirents and life sustaining properties? What kind of raw material would be used to do this. If these three d printers can print food, I wonder why they are not using them to feed the masses down here on Earth.

As far as I know, 3D printers work by using cartridges the same as modern day printers. Ingredients can take the place of ink and you can print using 3D print software.

Here's a link to site with info on 3D printing food:

3dprintingindustry.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Wow, thanks for that link. I read a couple of articles from it and that is truly interesting. Printing meatballs from algae and bugs and proteins, man what a concept.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Aim high. What ever happened to that concept?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Food?

What is the source material for making the food?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Maybe the OP confused 3D printers with replicators.

With replicators, the source material is waste. Of any sort.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Maybe. I am pretty interested if there really are what he claims.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Maybe the OP confused 3D printers with replicators.

With replicators, the source material is waste. Of any sort.

Well, Phage. I'm talking actual 3D printers, and eventual 4D printers. This new technology is the wave of the future as I see it. It will completely change the manufacturing process and how the world does business. It will also rapidly revolutionize the world of technology.
edit on 10-3-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: lostbook

Food?

What is the source material for making the food?

I could be wrong but I think the source(s) are "powdered" ingredients inside cartridges which are mixed to produce the desired product-food. I know I've heard of pizza made by 3D printing.

top topics

join