It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favourite art medium and why? (Also some of my work)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
For me its painting hands down when it comes to creating.

Often when I paint I do not do a lot of drawing before hand. I draw a simple guide because I find it much easier just to start painting. I often use Acrylic Paint to begin with, and then use Oil based paints over top in order to get a different finish. I prefer acrylic because it dries quicker and I often change my mind mid painting.
Im not sure exactly why I love painting more than other mediums. Ive always painted since I was a kid. I think its probably because you can manipulate the colours. The texture of paint. The smell.
I think I gravitated towards it because my Grandfather is a painter, and I remember sitting in his workshop on the floor watching him paint.

Here is some of my work.

(these next two are ones Im working on currently, and are not quite finished)

I also enjoy messing around on photoshop as well. Though Im more new to it.

What medium do you use, What are your favourite? and are there particular reasons you gravitate towards those?

edit on 8-3-2016 by IvyNeptune because: because grammar.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Mine is words or rather peoples imagination.

a reply to: IvyNeptune
Eternal beauty is like,
Empty blackness, 
the space between two stars. 
We can have it all, 
the void is ours. 

What's a couple scars, 
between us stars, 
like passing cars in the night? 

The blackness is still there, 
always empty inviting, 
containing it all 
forever. 

As far as we go, 
wherever we travel, 
we are still there, 
we are here, 
it's all so, 
still. 

hop in my car, 
take a ride 
go wherever the tide takes us, 
I'll drop you off, 
whenever you like, 
back... 
into the void. 

but while we're here, 
let's stop and stare, 
at the stars. 

-reverbs

I also love music just havnt the practice yet to make it work. Sometimes I write things that seem so nonsensical but I do it to knock people out of pattern and if my post looks random it's probably multiple plays on multiple angles and I make myself laugh so hard reading replies seeing who is thinking what of even better if someone gets my random humor or even better they see some personal message I hid.

So that's why. Words can be ambiguous or cutting to the core. I play with them more freely and I use lose grammar to being out more options. It's fun

edit on 8-3-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

I am peanut butter and jealous of your way with words.
Ive never been able to write anything poetic that didnt look like I had just learned to rhyme in primary (grade) school.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I wish I had a picture of my drawings I've made in markers. They look 4th grade but it's my best work in that regard haha. Your style makes me a little scared. Like almost robot woman. And then the photoshop (which is amazing also) looks like tore your heart out or conversely bleeding heart with a touch of dark.

I like it. a reply to: IvyNeptune

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

that one i actually made at the end of a heart break haha so its fitting.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

For me it has to be working with 3D digital software. My father and I used to build computers together,we bought several 3D modeling software like Maya(before they were bought up by Autodesk),3DS Max,Softimage and whole bunch of others. That was like a decade ago and since then I've just gravitated towards it more than any other medium. I'm just a tech guy so that's probably why.

Here's some stuff I've done in the last few years.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I always liked working with clay messy pup that i am.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I had a few art classes dedicated mostly to clay. I always ended up embarrassed . Clay leaves too much of my soul in it. Almost like my DNA was encoded there in my strokes my pinches my flow...

ATS is a great medium for me haha... :p

A reply to: andy06shake

edit on 8-3-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

aww CLAY! so fun. i need to do that again

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I cannot paint but I like works done in oil. My main creative outlet is cooking so I treat the plate as a canvas.

I like the self portrait.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

oh i love to cook too.
TWINSSSSSS

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

What are you gonna make for me?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Playdoh.
Because it tastes better than clay or Silly Putty.
Paste tastes better, but it really cracks a lot when it dries.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Photoshop, for almost everything. I use Illustrator for images that need fine lines and solid colours. InDesign is great for arranging objects and vectors with good coordination since the InDesign interactive guide system is one of the best I have ever seen.

Here are a couple of images of my latest attempts at speed-painting in photoshop. I find it to be super useful since it is very easy to control HUE/saturation, exposure and contrast (giving your images more "juice").

Regards,

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Your work is absolutely wonderful! I love the calla lilly and the movement it reflects. Wish I were as talented.

Depending on my whim and mood, just about any medium that doesn't jump out of my hand and go screaming off into the sunset will work for me. Clay for fun, and oils/acrylic for range of color choices.

For really serious works I like pen and ink. As a real challenge I use old fashioned pens with interchangeable nibs. Pilot G-2 .05 is my favorite when it comes to gel pens as I like to do VERY fine work...as in each hair on the head when doing, for example, a Geshia.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I'm a filmmaker/screenwriter/producer/videographer, h ere is a trailer/teaser for a western that we are wanting to produce. Some people don't think film is an art because it is so technical....what do you think?

www.youtube.com...

A music video...

www.youtube.com...

I love working in film because it is a collaborative effort. Coordinating all the various actors, crew, locations, equipment is a challenge. It's like making a huge moving painting with people, places and words instead of paint.

The filmmaking community is one of the most creative, innovative, vibrant, and straight up, kick ass group of people I have ever known.

I love Musicians too. Before I became a filmmaker I was a Professional blues musician.
edit on 8-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
At the moment I'm liking brush and ink/ pen and ink. I have passing urges to draw or paint using different things so IDK about favorite.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I like to build into work hence;

Acrylic layered with wax and fabrics ... I love texture and wax feels fantastic when it cools

Clay, I often mix cotton so it burns out in firing ... again finished texture

Oil pastel blended with white spirit ... because if you're fast you can take a reverse print and reveal new images that were hidden before

Also ... I love your work ivy, thank you for sharing

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I majored in fine art film and photography ... of course its art

How dare they!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Film is most definitely an art form and one of my favourites.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join