It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.22 Caliber Rimfire Reloading Kit Available

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Previously, reloading .22 caliber rimfire ammunition was possible as a survival option, but as far as I know, it was a makeshift operation using strike anywhere match tips for the primer compound.
Now a company has come out with a kit to make the job easier and uniform.
The kit contains a tool which will mold two different weights of bullets and crimp the case, a tool to remove the old priming compound residue and install the new compound, new priming compound, an eyedropper to measure the liquid that is mixed with the compound, a funnel for adding the powder to the case and a powder measure.
The kit is priced at $74.95 and the repriming compound is sold for $14.95 per batch (I am not sure how many cases it would prime, but review that I read says it is enough for 2,000 rounds).
Here is a link to the site:
Sharp Shooter 22 Long Rifle Reloader
I believe it might be a smart addition to a SHTF kit for anyone that has a .22 included in their plan.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It seems to me that it probably would not be really a cost effective way of doing things. Powder is expensive and so are primers. Reloading large caliper bullets I can see, the price is high on those. But I think it would be more cost conscious to just buy lots of 22 shells. I need to rotate some this summer, the price has come down a lot. I'll take the grandkids to the rifle range and teach them the safe way to use a gun. First day is instructions on gun safety and safe ways to carry a gun.

My oldest granddaughter had to carry the rifle with her for a whole day, making sure to put safety first in everything she did. Then it was time to go to the rifle range, the twenty two casing split and blew the ejector out. So I got that fixed a week later and was taking her back and the handle fell off the case in the shed, both sides at the same time. The plastic fabric crumbled. I am going to teach her this year if I am allowed to. I guess my guardian angel didn't think she was ready at the time. She sees all of this happening, so obvious, and she feels maybe it is a sign.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
I understand where you are coming from.
I see it as a good addition for the long-term SHTF prepper's stash, where supplies run out, and the guy that can cast .22 bullets has an edge. The primer chemical can be replaced with strike anywhere match tip and acetone and powder can be replaced with safety match heads, which incidentally can be used for centerfire ammunition when you run out of powder and primers.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: rickymouse
I understand where you are coming from.
I see it as a good addition for the long-term SHTF prepper's stash, where supplies run out, and the guy that can cast .22 bullets has an edge. The primer chemical can be replaced with strike anywhere match tip and acetone and powder can be replaced with safety match heads, which incidentally can be used for centerfire ammunition when you run out of powder and primers.

That's really interesting to know. Now I have to go and study up on that. Saturday we went to the wild game feed at the gun club across the road from us. Great food. I'm still full.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The kit, which may or may not work, versus spending the same amount of money on good, new .22 ammo? It's a no-brainer...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Would be interesting to create some 177 or other wildcat with it though.....just for gits and shiggles....

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
yeah, not to mention the fact that .22lr is starting to comeback around to being readily available, you'd be better off just stocking up on a couple thousand rounds than foolin with this.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have reloaded both pistol and rifle ammo for the last 25 years, and enjoy the solitude and precision it rewards me with. I've often wondered about the feasibility of reloading 22LR, and while I agree it makes a great addition to a prepper's inventory, just can't envision doing it when I've accumulated so much 22 ammo.

The one thing that would appeal to me is tweaking subsonic ammo in that caliber, as I shoot suppressed often. Plenty of ammo available at 1030-1050fps, abet more expensive. Thanks for providing this info--it is definitely a smart addition to my inventory.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
The kit, which may or may not work, versus spending the same amount of money on good, new .22 ammo? It's a no-brainer...

It apparently does work, according to the reviews that I have read and a number of them are posted at the link in the OP.
As far as it taking the place of or competing with factory ammo, that isn't what it is meant for.
It is a means of making rimfire ammo when you can't get it any other way, hence my posting it in the survival forum.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It seems to me that another advantage of this for a survival situation is that the weight of this reload kit is a lot less than 2000 rounds of ammunition, and takes up a lot less space in the BOB.

-dex

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I saw no mention of the dent in the rim that the firing pin puts into the brass.

I guess 22 reloads are not for automatics anyway.

thanks for the link

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

They cover that issue in some of the reviews. You can pop the dents out, but it is difficult and you risk ruining the case.
They also cover resizing. The company does sell dies for resizing 22 LR.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I just barely convinced my wife to get me a Rock Chucker for Christmas. Been reloading 9mm and 223. I don't think I can convince her to get me more stuff already!

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I've heard of these before,sounds kinda cool,but really? A decent pellet gun is just as effective as a 22,and in a survival situation,22 will be as hard to find as 303.I think it would be more $$ wise to get a pellet gun and cast those,rather than the match heads and powder route. Too many people foo foo the pellet gun,but the ballistics are darn close to a 22.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: blkcwbyhat

I have a 22 caliber airgun in my stash and tins of pellets.

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Great informatin ablut reloading ammo. I`d like to add i to one of my articles here: gearsadviser.com...

edit on 3-4-2022 by Gear4545 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 09:24 AM
link   

tweaking subsonic ammo in that caliber

Like a super light grain short hollow point?

top topics

join