It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you practiced your bug out?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Oh, of course, if you've got that, then by all means get the Hell out. I would.

As long as the Apocalypse holds off for the next couple of years, I'll have, more or less, just that. Rural Tennessee up in the mountains of east Tennessee, just a matter of finding the right little place.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Nice, we took a couple weeks of vacation and stayed at Fontana Dam Resort. Nice up there.

If I win the powerball, I will be moving to that area.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I don't think I would really call it a bug out, since it's all at home, but I have had several opportunities to live without power and being cut off from the rest of civilisation, living and surviving on only what's in the house. Longest was only a week, but, eh. I'm in cyclone-flood-country! Just something I've gotten used to now, always have a couple of months worth of stuff in the cupboards, candles, matches, medical kit, etc. just in case.

Would much prefer to be "surviving" out on my own property in the middle of no where though.

Though, if it were -actually- to hit the fan... I'm one of those terrible morbid people who can't wait for it, open some Moscato and relish the end.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
Well I got my bugout bag more than ready, but if SHTF the plan is to head to a family spot between my fathers and uncles house which is on a dead-end road where together they own just over a hundred acres complete with livestock, ponds, a natural spring and plenty of deer, i think we'd do fine.

Sounds like the perfect fall back.

Planning to stand is the way to go.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I have many plans in place and practice quarterly. See below.

Threat Con Alpha
Secure in place for the short term. Duck and cover. Example: Tornado, bombing, or Immediate action order until the threat is considered.

Threat Con Bravo
Secure to home base, ready the underground shelter for short term occupancies. Example: Tornado, unknown attack, or civil unrest.

Threat Con Charlie
Secure to home base, ready underground shelter for long term occupancies. Example: EMP, CME, Extreme event with out access to transportation.

Threat Con Delta
Emergency mobilization of all personal, supplies, heavy equipment, fuel, and weapons to the mountain cabin compound.
Delta is a last ditch plan for evacuation. Example: War, invasion, radiological event, extreme civil unrest, or extinction level event.

Threat Con Epsilon
Emergency mobilization of all personal, supplies, heavy equipment, fuel, and weapons to an undisclosed location or remain mobil until the threat is neutralized.

I carry a complex bug out bag in my truck for daily use.
At my home I have prepared and stocked an underground storm shelter, complete with fist aid supply's, radios, cases of MRE's, blankets, water, weapons, clothing, and escape tools.
At my mountain cabin site, we have prepaired two cabins in an area with fuel, fresh water, caves, woodlands, fishing and in the middle of cattle country. Lots of food for the taking, and weapons to hold the area.
In the event we truly have to bug out, we have a 4 wheel drive for each of us, I have a survival trailer, stocked and ready, and a couple of military, multi fuel Duce and a half's ready to roll. As a last resort I can drive, sail, or fly anything if I have to and we have friends around the world. As civilians, I think my wife and I are as ready as we can ever be to take care of our selfs and the grand kids. I only hope we never need to press any of these plans into use, but it's been fun planing and practicing. We are not really afraid of much but we are ready for nearly anything.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Good golly! Impressive work! Glad to hear you also practice it out too. Out of curiosity, the Duce and a halfs, what kind of price did they set you back. I've looked online a couple of times and a good one is generally out of my price range.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ThickAsABrick
Between 2 and 4 thousand each. My Duce was invaluable in building the cabin site. Getting thousands of pounds of building materials into rough country is half the battle.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I would caution against the idea that a person should have either a "PLAN TO BUG OUT" or one plan to "SHELTER IN PLACE."

If you are really preparing, then you ought to have a variety of plans, each of which is a response to a variety of issues.

I have "shelter in place plans" (note the plural) for a variety of issues like power failure or a blizzard.

I have Bug out plans (again with the plural) for situations like a toxic chemical railway spill or a house fire

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Nice price, the only ones I find locally in that range need a lot of work. Best I could find were in the US for $13000+.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: redempsh
I would caution against the idea that a person should have either a "PLAN TO BUG OUT" or one plan to "SHELTER IN PLACE."

If you are really preparing, then you ought to have a variety of plans, each of which is a response to a variety of issues.

I have "shelter in place plans" (note the plural) for a variety of issues like power failure or a blizzard.

I have Bug out plans (again with the plural) for situations like a toxic chemical railway spill or a house fire

Yeah I understand bugging in, along those lines, whenever you pass by a local city park, look at it and wonder how large of a garden you could grow there if you could tear out the grass. Live near a golf course? Woohoo!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ThickAsABrick

I think about every median in my neighborhood, how much lawn the city is paying to grow, when they could be growing crops. I daydream about plowing up abandoned freeways and parking lots.

If there were unfriendlies in your neighborhood, then you could do projects up on the flat rooftop of a big-box retailer. Nothing as heavy as aquaponics, surely; but you could do passive solar. Or a beehive.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I've also wondered how survivors will utilize freeway interchanges.

I mean, the road surface will decay in about 3-7 years with no maintenance. Grass overtaking them, that sort of thing. But if fuel is unavailable, and with no cars.... the overpasses could last for a century, easy.

I bet the area under them would make a good souk or bazaar. The roads all lead up to them, and there is ample rain protection if your customers are mostly on foot. You could set up temporary walls by hanging sheets down from the overpass while in session. The overpass's drainage system could be funneled into a cistern. Lookouts on the upper level could provide police overwatch on market days....

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThickAsABrick
a reply to: Nickn3

Nice price, the only ones I find locally in that range need a lot of work. Best I could find were in the US for $13000+.

13 Grand sound more like a 5 ton. My trucks are the M-35a2. Tuff as nails and easy to service.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I will be bugging in, and anyone bugging out to here will be met with lead or whatever bullets are made of these days...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join