It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Hypnosis to Stop a Bad Habit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
what brand of gum are you guys using? do they have flavors?

I got the nicorette (original i guess) and I can't stand the taste or sensation, it makes me want to hurl. (maybe that's a good thing?)

right now I'm chewing regular gum instead but the idea of using the nicorette gum had seemed good to me when i invested in it.

and seek, thank you for your vote of confidence my friend, I appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Oh yeah the original nicorette should be renamed to "butt flavor"... not cigarette butt either
. They make a "fresh mint" flavor that doesn't have that weird stinky taste, but it still has the weird peppery/tobacco "tingle," which is weird the first couple days, but it helps a lot when you slip into that *grab a cig* reflex (it took me weeks to get out of that habit).

I tried the lozenges when I quit, but they just grossed me out and didn't occupy the oral fixation enough. I would recommend you just get a refill pack of the lower dosage (2mg) mint gum in the green box. Then you should chew a piece everytime you would want a cigarette and essentially get addicted to the gum, so it can become a satisfying replacement. The good news is its a much easier habit to quit.

I found that naturally my gum cravings declined, and then could be replaced with regular gum or mints.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Have you tried going to your local library?
If you don't want to spend the money, there are tons of books as well as CDs available at the libraries that have self hypnosis programs on them that could possibly help. If your library doesn't have one, do some reasearch and reserve one or U2U me and I can recommend some.

gth

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sorry if someone said this earlier but what I think that might work are the inhalators that you inhale trough (as if smoking) instead of chewing a gum. You aren't trying to finish using gum, after all...

The habit of bringin hand to the mouth is a powerful thought form that the smoker feeds every time he does it. Repeating that gesture with an inhalator for at max. 3 months and again at max. 6 times a day should do the trick.. Also, when the vapour of inhalator reaches the lungs they simulate the sensation on inhaling smoke which is a sort of sensation that connects with stress relief.

Ok I just assume that you haven't already tried them out

[edit on 13-1-2005 by gth]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Today has been extremely difficult for me, the cravings won't stop, I've been stuffing my face with twizzlers and gum all day, I feel so damn antsy right now......aaaahHHHHHHH....

btw, i'm going to ask a mod to move this thread to BTS or somewhere more appropriate, since I am going to be using it help me get thru this and I've opted for cold turkey instead of hypnosis.

oh yeah, and I went to the library today, couldn't find any books at the branch I was at, gonna go to the other branch they recommend tomorrow.

and thanks again for the support yall

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
As Per WW request......

Chit Chat

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Have you remained smoke free these past few days, WW?
Don't worry it will get easier. I hope you don't torture yourself too hard. A nic-replacement will make it a lot more comfortable, and make you a lot less likely to get too overwhelmed by the cravings. Also maybe get yourself some laffy taffy or a sugardaddy instead of the twizzlers. Something you can let your aggression out on!

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
LAST year I was determined to quit smoking...I did make a couple "attempts" and failed...BUT my final attempt in JUNE has (so far) been successful!! I think I got it beat this time...Just about 7 months now...I swear still each day I get a craving...and from what other ex-smokers tell me it will be forever....not all the time but the craving will pop up from time to time....

How I did it....this final time, it was like one sunday evening...I was down to only a couple cigs left....and I decided I'd just not go get any and quit....I had some patches left from a failed attempt and used those for a week...(I say for my childrens safety....LOL I would have been too edgy) That following weekend the kids went to their dad's for the weekend and I took the patch OFF and went cold turkey from then on....

Weird thing is it was INCREDIBLY EASY this time around...yes the first month was pretty bad but I got through it...NO huge weight gain or anything...MISS it sometimes...BUT when I'm around someone who is smoking or has smoked the smell is just so icky!!

YOU CAN do it!! Need any help or advice let me know!!

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Many health insurance companies now pay for stopping smoking medications and techniques. Years ago I went to a bonafide certified hypnotherapist which my insurance paid for, and attended one session a week for about 4 weeks. I quit smoking cold turkey and had no weight gain, cravings or withdrawal for 3 years.

However, when I underwent a particularly stressful period of time in my life, I caved in under the pressure and rather than overeating, returned to smoking, which I greatly regret. I should've returned to a hypnotherapist and gotten reinforcement hypnotism sessions instead.

I would strongly recommend your seeking out a CLINICAL certified hypnotherapist who has an office. Many psychologists are certified hypnotherapists.

If you wish to try self-hypnosis, there are subliminal tapes out there which you can listen to as often as possible but be careful as they can greatly relax you and I recommend you would do them at night.

When I was hypnotized, I had to have someone drive me home after each session because 1 hour of being hypnotized is equivalent to getting 8 hours of sleep!

Do deep breathing exercises throughout the day and whenever you want to inhale a cigarette, try taking deep breaths and imagining smoke coming in and out and that might trick your mind.

good luck!

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Today is the 2nd day since my last slip up....yesterday wasn't bad, but today is just crazy, if i had access to a cigarette today, I probably would have lit up, but I refuse to leave my house, i'm not even driving by the store.

see what happened was that I was really sick over the holidays and with the flu, I just didn't feel like smoking and being on a nebulizer and stuff, it was easy not to smoke so I decided to quit on New Years, but then once I felt better, I started smoking again, that was on the 8th when I went out to celebrate my birthday then I went thru 2 days and slipped up on tuesday, that's when i started this thread. I think if I can make it thru tomorrow and Saturday I'm on my way to success.

but is it normal to feel like you want to bounce off the walls? I am going crazy, I can't sit still, I'm antsy, I'm just itching to do something and nothing is pleasing me at the moment.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
hey awoman, thanks for that info, I had no idea that insurance sometimes cover the cost. I'll check with my ins. company tomorrow.

I really want to do this cold turkey, the gum sucks and I don't think I want to continue with nicotine in my system. I rather just get it all out at once and deal with the withdrawal stuff asap.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Hey WW...man it seems like every direction I turn I have a friend here and a friend there that smokes, and they hate it, but can't stop...it's a bad situation to be in, and I hope everyone else's suggestions are helping to some degree or another...

You mentioned you were interested in self-hypnosis....I practice this occasionally, and I'd be happy to share with you the method I started using....I use a method from a retired psychologist I met who does those funny hypnosis trick shows for gobs and gobs of money at a time - but he is also offers free advice on his website - I'll have to try and remember his name and point you in that direction...

Anyways - Here's a little guide to get started:

1. Think of what it is you want to achieve from your meditation....Make your own little slogan for later....I will quit smoking....

2. Now find a spot that is comfortable for you, where you can lie down and fully extend your body. Get some pillows to rest your head, if need be. Make sure it is a spot that is isolated and that you can return to . Make sure you have at least 10 minutes of free time and that all possible distractions are hidden away.

3. You can use a soft trance-like music or as you progress in your hypnosis practices, you may even wish to use a recording of your voice, with the volume set low enough for you to hear it but not become distracted, which slowly and methodically repeats your goal.

4. Close your eyes....you'll keep you're eyes closed until you're almost ready to awaken from your hypnosis....

5. Now that you're settled and in your comfortable spot, begin to loosen your body...let your muscles relax...you want your body to feel limp and rubbery - Let the stress and anxiety of your day ooze out...Take your time - no one's watching or timing you....

6. Now that you've become lose and have let some of your stress melt away, try and hold your position....if you have to itch your nose, let it be....you'll forget about it soon....remain still...

7. Begin to focus on your breathing....Take 20 deep and soothing breathes - drawing in and letting out slowly....count in your mind on each inhale...1....2......

8. When you reach 20 - continue your breathing pattern...and begin to focus on your third eye....Ms Bollywood here - I'm sure I don't have to explain that one to ya
    ....visualize in your mind that you are starring into your soul - however you may choose to perceive it...simply focus your mind, body and mental strength on that image while keeping your breathing steady....

9. Keeping your mind focused on this inner-conscious....begin to repeat in your mind the goal you wish to achieve....I will quit smoking...I will quit smoking....repeat this in your mind....don't worry about how long....you'll know when is enough...It's important to note that when we say something to ourselves we often use our tongue inside our mouth to verbalize it, even though we don't speak it....try not to do this - If you are overcome by the trance-like state, you may not even have to tell yourself not to do it...

10. Once you feel satisfied, take a moments break of repeating and remain calm

11. Begin to count backwards slowly from 20, using the same method as before

12. Open your eyes and awake hopefully feeling rested and filled with resolve...

I hope that's not too intense or that it sounds wacko....I promise you that it can only benefit your mind and body....I don't know how it works, but basically you're putting your brain into auto-pilot and your body is taking a break from all the racing thoughts that come in and out of your mind all day long...

Your mind is only hearing what you want to say to it, and as you practice this more and more, your mind subconsciously follows your wishes...

It will take a bit of practice and time - but don't give up if it doesn't work the first time or if you think nothing is happening.....try doing it once or twice a day....Soon you'll find you won't need to do the counting or you won't need the music....you'll get into a trance quick and easy and you'll be spending more time telling yourself what you want yourself to do/be...

Hope it works out for ya!

[edit on 1/13/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
enron babe, thank you

I'll try your technique now, but if you can remember that Dr's name and website, i'll greatly appreciate it.

I am finding that hardest craves come early in the morning (that 1st cig) and after meals. during the rest of the day, I can brush the cravings off, but after meals I am having a really hard time, getting cranky and bitchy, I'm trying not to let it affect the family, but i'm sure they can feel and see the mood swings.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yeah...no sweat

I was going crazy trying to remember this guys name...I must have googled every possible word and searched every page.....Then I said to myself...self...try tpying in the name of the conference I saw him at....and voila!

I should have just done the most obvious thing first...The guy owns the best domain I think a hypnotist would ever want...

www.hypnotism.com...

Jim Wand....This guy is top-notch - And he has a great attitude and really works for his money...

At any rate - On his website he has a free tutorial, which is what I began using after I saw his show - It should sound fairly similar to what I posted yesterday...

Lemme know how it goes

Edit: If you want a good laugh, try downloading one of his example reels...They're like 30 MB so you might want to right click and "save as" but I'm beginning to remember just how funny this guy was.....

[edit on 1/14/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't think it fits under the title of "self-hypnosis", but I tried a very simple auto-suggestion method a while ago, and I can say I had some success with it.

Basicly, all u have to do is to find a small rope, u can chose a color that have a special meaning to your-self (I chose green, the color of life, and one of my favorite color), tie as many nod in it as u can (they said 40 in the text that I had read, but I don't really think it matters).

U can basicly use in anywhere anytime, but I guess one would have better result doing it in a relaxed state, maybe like while meditating or something similar. All u have to do is make a "sentance" that represent what u want to suggest to your-self, and while touching each node in the rope, repeat that sentance mentally one time for each node, and repeat as necessary.

When I really wanted to convine my self of the "power" of auto-suggestion, I used to wear this rope around my neck or wrist. It kinda worked for me, might not work for everyone but I think it may still be worth trying. Good luck beating those cravings
I'll send out some positive thoughts for u. You're a strong minded individual, from what I know of you, I'll sure you'll succeed and realise how ridiculous is this need of smoking.

May the force be with u !

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
So did you have any luck WW?? How did things go?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
enron, thank you love. did you noticed my mood?

I'm stumbling, I admit I slipped again. This is alot harder than I thought.

I don't know how I managed to quit smoking for 11 months each time when I had my sons and I can't do it now.

As for your technique, I read the website instructions and tried it, but then I slipped, but I haven't given up. I figured it was just a bad time for me to try it and i wasn't fully into it.

I know I can do this, today is day 1 again. I am not giving up.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The habit issues seem to be the pull: morning coffee and a cig, after meal cig and stress sig.
Focusing on your heart beat and slowing it when the desire trigger makes it race is key. Develop a chant, based on a word of meaning to you. Chant that word while feeling your heart pump.
As incentive, I've found that detailed visualization of the negative outcomes should I fail at something I'm attempting, make me more resolute for success. For example, I would have detailed visualiztion of compund fractures or being crippled prior to sparring. You can look at medical pics of lungs blackened from years of smoking, or envison yourself on oxygen tanks every where you go, or not being there to see yourself in your granddaughters features.
It's brutal, but "Scared Straight" is effective!

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
update on my addiction.

I'm still addicted, but I only smoke 2 cigarettes a day now. One in the morning as soon as I wake and then right after dinner. I know that's not good, and it isn't quitting, but it's a step. I've been going cold turkey, getting frustrated and then smoking more than I normally would have when i fall of the wagon, I tried the fast smoking technique, but other than getting a cigarette high, i didn't notice a difference in cravings.

now I plan to perform a spell on myself, since it seems to be more of a mental thing with me. perhaps a ritual will help me

btw, I only smoke 2 cigarettes a day, because it is all my husband leaves me with in the morning. He's also quitting, but he is on a 4-5 per day diet. He's going cold turkey on Friday. He did this a bit opposite from me in that he has been cutting down first before going cold turkey. maybe he'll have better success than me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join