It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Hypnosis to Stop a Bad Habit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I need help, I've been reading various sites, most of them want money for various techniques for self hypnotism. I quit smoking on Jan 1, well I had a bad cold, so the timing was right, but today I fell off the wagon and lit one up. I tried the gum, hate it, can't do it. anyways now I really want to quit and I am willing to go at this again but a friend suggested hypnosis. I don't want to pay $175 for the session as of yet, I'm not sure I trust anyone to hypnotize me, so I want to try to do it myself. I feel hypnosis would work for me. I am a very visual person and I am very open to the possibility of hypnosis working, so the suggestive mind state is already there. Now I just need to know how.

Any suggestions, techniques and links for self hypnosis would be helpful?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Instead of concentrateing on how much you want a cigarette, think of
all the good things happening now because you quit.
You're not throwing your money away on cancer sticks. Think of all the
money you're saveing and what you could do with it. Buy yourself something nice or some treat with the money you're saveing.
Think of how much more oxygen your brain and body are getting now.
Think of how each day not smokeing is letting your body heal from years
of inhaleing nicotine laced smoke.
When I quit, it helped me when I cut a drink straw in half and had it at my computer where I used to smoke alot. I held it like a cigarette and sometimes inhaled through it. lol. I also kept alot of sugarfree certs and gum around.
As far as hynosis...I don't know, but I kinda visualized a "NICODEMON".
He was the one I had to resist and say NO to.
Makeing my habit into a "monster" or being able to personify it helped me to fight my craveings.
Hope some of this helps you.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Before trying hypnosis, try adversive conditioning

For some people, even hypnosis doesn't work.
I have a very good friend who is a psychologist and is now teaching at a nearby university (Va. Tech) that suggested trying the adversive conditioning approach when I was smoking and seeking to quit. Adversive conditioning is a counterconditioning technique or method in which a classically conditioned aversive response is, in a sense, conditioned to occur in response to a stimulus that has previously been associated with an undesired behavior (ie: smoking).

One of the technique's or method's is what is known and termed as rapid smoking. This specific technique/method was specifically designed to help people stop smoking. What the 'treatment' requires is that the person (the smoker) inhales smoke from a cigarette every 6-8 seconds. After a few minutes, smokers, even those who chain-smoke, become physically sick from the increased levels of toxins in the tobacco (cigarette). The technique/method needs to be applied as many times as need, but often, it only requires a few times. After repeated trials, the taste, smell, and even the sight of a cigarette will trigger a nausea response. In short, as with some to many people who get sick after eating something, most do not go back to eating what caused them to get sick, or are weary of trying that particular food or dish again.

The technique/method runs a 52+/-% chance of success. I am not sure what the success rate is for hypnosis, in regards to it preventing people from quitting smoking.

I merely offered this technique/method as a possible alternative, worldwatcher. I wish you the best of luck your quest to quit smoking.

seekerof

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I don't have a particular technique to share regarding removing a bad habit but I like self-hypnosis alot for those times I feel uncertain or doubtful about my ability to accomplish something. It's a good old fashioned method to fall back on.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
thanks for the responses, I do appreciate them
seek, I am scared to try your technique, what if it makes me crave the cigarettes more?

I only had one yesterday and so far today, I've kept my cravings in check, but if I falter, I will try what you mentioned, quick and intense puffs and see what happens after that.

btw, I've joined the gym, someplace to go and work out stress and tension instead of lighting up, (it's next door to me, so I have no excuses about it being too far or anything) I've taken up golfing (another hobby) and I've stocked up on carrot sticks, pretzel sticks and twizzlers. I know I can do this, I'm sure of it.

btw I'd still like some self hypnosis info or links if anyone knows of any that doesn't charge.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I smoke too, and I have to say it is the hardest thing to stop doing, especially when I've spent extended periods of time working it into routines for which I'm now trying to remove it. Oh, I can remember a time when there was nothing more comforting than smoking a cigarette while driving around listening to a great led zep cd, or lying in bed, reading with the radio turned on low, smoking that ever so relaxing marlboro light...and now, I hate them. I hate it that my body has grown so accustomed to them that it craves that stimulation...I believe it's dopamine that's released when we smoke...it's been a while since I read that chapter in biology, lol. I have, however, been able to reduce the amount of cigarettes that I smoke from a pack a day to half a pack or less. I'm thinking about picking up some patches this week. It's the one thing I haven't tried.

I wanted to mention that the times when I smoke less are those times that I spend shopping or out and about where smoking isn't allowed. Also, my boyfriend is a non-smoker, so it's easier for me to cut down becuase I don't want to smoke around him. I think you're self-hypnosis idea is an excellent one. I know that a lot of things that I've wanted to change in my life, I have done by the power of thought alone. Unfortunately, as much as I hate smoking, I've quit a couple of times before and know the initial struggle well enough that I've talked myself out of quitting more than I've tried to talk myself into it. If you could find someone who wants to quit with you, maybe you could try a little friendly competition...place bets or something. There has to be some way to do it on our own without having to pay that outrageous amoung. However, in the long run, I guess we have to figure out how much it means to us. if it's worth the money, the body, and the money spent over a lifetime in cigarettes.

One last thought, and I'm glad you brought quitting up cause it's giving me time to think of strategies for quitting myself, but I've had to go to conventions in the past where the day's schedule was all planned out from eight in the morning til ten-thirty at night. Those three day conventions helped me cut down to where I had nearly quit, and if I had to stay a week, I'm thinking I might have quit then. The point is, if we were to create schedules for a week while trying to stop smoking that kept us as busy as we could comfortable be, then it might help. Maybe some slow walks in the park (running might make you want to sit too long afterward), light house cleaning, trips to the local library, internet time (without a cigarette and timed as well), etc...just whatever you can work into your day and if you work, maybe you could just work through your breaks or find something else to do with your breaks.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Hey congratulations on making the decision to quit! Don't let a little slip up get you down or self-doubting.

I quit last year, after smoking aproximately a pack a day for 12 years. I also was terrified I would gain back the weight I lost.
I have been successful, and I can tell you what worked best for me, though if there was self hypnosis there, it was more like meditation and asking for help from a higher power.

I did however use the mint nicorette gum. It sucked at first and caused my mouth to swell up due to the fact that I had been biting my lips out of nerves. Have you looked into the lozenge or patch? I still think nicotine replacement is the most effective way, but theres more involved obviously.

I would recommend you go to the health food/homeopathic store and get one of the natural remedies. There is a spray and tablets that contain herbs that supposedly help, and I believe many of those drugs are safe in conjunction with nicotine replacement, but still you should ask an expert at the store.

Personally, I didn't have any experience with the pharmaceutical route, but I have friends who did. They called their doctors and requested a setative or drug that is to help aid the quit process (some zyban *Not certain on the name, but its the quit-smoking pill*, others just took anti anxiety to calm them down during the process).

When I quit I loaded up an arsenal of candies, gum, little stress toys and things to play with in my hands, and had to switch from coffee to tea in the morning. I also made a huge list of reasons not to smoke and stayed true to it, as I listed the most important things. I would go into a meditative state focused on these reasons of why I wanted to quit, and while I doubt anyone would label it "self-hypnosis"... I think that was what did it.

Anyway, whatever method you choose to be freed of the addiction is worth the financial investment in the long run. Think of all the money you will be saving on cigarettes!

Well good luck, and if you need an understanding ear, feel free to message me for support.

[edit on 123131p://222 by duh squared]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't have time to do a big net search at the moment, but here is a link of some affordable methods you may like to try. LINK

So what I would take from this is to meditate before bed, and have a tape recording play while you sleep at night, telling you all the reasons why you want and need to quit smoking.

[edit on 013131p://222 by duh squared]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Will power is the most powerfull tool their is if you have a strong will to liveyour odds of dying from serious injurys are less.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Essentially it's getting your entire mind on board with a goal you'd like to accomplish through affirmation and assertion. It works for a while, but typically you learn how to beat yourself at your own game. Eventually you revert to old ways because your 'wants' are stronger. I'd recommend praying. Get God involved, He's pretty powerful. I'll pray for you as well if you'd like.

Pray, train, study.
God bless

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The Idiots Guide to Hypnosis.
Can be found at any library and its free!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I would still see a professional if i were you WW. It may seem like alot of money at the time but compared to buying cig's it will more than balance out. I smoke.. but i have never tried to quit i think of it as a luxury, and i like it. I have been to hypno therapists for fear of flying and other things , but they could never put me under. And as strong minded as you seem to be( through reading your posts after a year) i doubt they would be able to put you under as well, but it is worth the effort and money to see in my opinion.
Good Luck.
P.S i was wondering if you would help monitor another Run In RV as 2nd monitor, if your up to it.
Parker

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   

as posted by Worldwatcher
seek, I am scared to try your technique, what if it makes me crave the cigarettes more?

Simply not going to happen Worldwatcher.
Light a cigarette up; 'draw' on/puff it evrey 6-8 seconds for about 3 minutes; and I guarantee that you will become sick, which is the point of the technique. Repeadedly do the technique, with every subsequent urge to smoke, and eventually, in a very short time mind you, your body will simply reject a cigarette. Your training your body to the point that with each occurance of seeing, smelling, and tasting a cigarette will cause you to become sick. The mind and body simply imploys metyhods to protect itself. As such, the technique relies on tha fact. Think of the things that you have eaten that have made you literally sick to your stomach....after becoming sick, did you hestitate to eat that 'something' again? Did you avoid it? etc.

The technique is not full-proof, and the real desire to quit needs to be stressed.

May I offer these as suggested reading?
Examples of strategies
Methods of quitting

seekerof

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
worldwatcher -

just stop.
if you have a half empty pack, lay it somewhere in plain sight. on a dresser or something like that.
if you have none, don't buy anymore!! easy.

if you think you need a cigarette, remember that you don't.

if you find yourself wanting one during the day, find something else to do - something as simple as carrying a notebook and during a craving writing "i won't have a cigarette" over and over. or do breathing exercises. or anything really, besides smoke.

the hardest things are the routine cigarettes - after meals, driving to work, during breaks, that kind of thing.

just remember that cigarettes don't enhance anything. you don't ever NEED a cigarette. all you need to do is breathe. and to do something. take focus away from the craving and onto something else. carry a book of crossword puzzles around.

good luck

don't beat yourself up over relapses.
a cigarette every two weeks is far healthier and much improved over one every two hours.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I smoked for 25 yrs- about 2 packs a day. Five months ago- I quit. Totally.
I used the patch for 2 weeks, no more. It did help-
The suggestion Seekerof made is valid- A close friend of mine, his wife used that method. She shut herself up in a closet and smoked out....and quit also. She says she gets nauseated if she even smells tobbacco smoke now-
What amazes me, was how easy it was for me to quit. I really was expecting a lot harder time than I had. Once I made it past the 2 week mark- cigs were out.
And now, I appreciaite the monetary savings, my voice changed, I smell better, I could go on and on as to the benefits.
Really, if you make up your mind to quit- You Can. Simple as that. It is a great feeling when you do.
I almost feel as if we are conditioned, as to the diffuculties in quitting. It sure was easy to me, I still wonder about it, and how I was so stupid and gave big tobbacco all my money for so many years.
Right now, go into your closet and light up a few and go to hot boxing the cigarettes, I have a feeling you will quit.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by elemtalsage
Will power is the most powerfull tool their is if you have a strong will to liveyour odds of dying from serious injurys are less.

You said very little in your post. I was wondering if you have ever smoked before and if you speak from personal experience? I see a few people saying to just quit that don't inform us if they have ever smoked before. It's easier to talk about something as being easy to change if you haven't experienced it. Not flaming here, I just wonder if non-smokers have considered this enough. And i fyou have smoked before elementalsage, then you understand what it is that I'm saying.

[edit on 1/12/2005 by Strianissa]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

as posted by Worldwatcher

Simply not going to happen Worldwatcher.

I can relate to this somewhat. There have been times when I've gone out with friends and had a little to much to drink and smoked too many cigarettes and woke up the next morning feeling icky from all that smoke. On those subsequent days, I would smoke very little and want to smoke less. HOWEVER, the catch is that after each one of these little binges, I've felt a little less extended lung power. It seems to make the overall effects of smoking, seem considerable greater. I would abstain from this kind of extremity, but it was a kind effort and advice.

Btw, thanks in part to this post, I've only had three cigarettes in the past 24 hours and the hours in between smokes is increasing. Thanks worldwatcher for this post, and I'll keep you updated on my progress. I know thinking about how much I hate those f&%^& white sticks every time I look at one has helped me not want the next. It's a gleaming hate every time I look at one.

[edit on 1/12/2005 by Strianissa]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I appreciate all the responses and encouragement too. I haven't had one yet since my slip up. so far so good.

It does help to throw out every empty box, stale cigs, and reminders of the smoking habit. I threw out all my lighters too, so even if I find a cigarette, I can't light it up.

and telling everyone I know, including the store clerk from the corner store that I am quitting also helps, this way I have more people watching me and on my case if I get tempted again.

btw thanks seek and squared for the links

[edit on 1-12-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Your most certainly welcome, Worldwatcher.

I think that what one needs to keep in mind, is that one must maintain a positive attitude, and that though one may 'slip-up' from time-to-time, that all one has to do is to re-commit oneself back to the endeaver to quit such a habit.

It's difficult, I know. Been there, done that.

I don't think I can really count how many times I 'slipped-up', but I continued to keep a positive attitude that I could quit and as such, re-committed myself to that end goal. Just stay positive, and consider those 'slip-ups' not as failures, but as temporary set-backs that are and can be overcome with real committment, determination, and the desire to quit and prevail.

In our past encounters and conversations, I have full faith in you that you can and will succeed. Your a strong willed woman, and there is nothing wrong with that. Its and exceptional trait and character.

My best to you.

seekerof

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I spent most of last year trying to give up, slipping back, cutting down and giving up again. I used patches and once a nicotine nasal spray which nearly blew the top of my head off so I had to stop. With the patches I always ended up sneaking a here and there and slipping back into the habit. At Xmas I decided I was going to cut down through the festivities before stopping altogether in the new year and did this by alternating the gigs with a nicotine gum, managing to cut down my consumption by half, then three quarters. Just after new year I smoked the last ciggarette in the pack, planning to go and buy some more later. It never happened I just found using the gum was enough which surprised me as I never thought the gum would really work for me and had planned on buying the patches again when I was ready to stop. I haven't sneaked one gig yet in two weeks despite people smoking around me, have had only very minor cravings and the best bit is the gum is far cheaper than patches and last me longer. So far, so good and I think the trick when it comes to giving up is finding what works for YOU, try everything until something works.

I also now believe that some people are truly addicts while others aquire a habit which is why someone who smokes two packs a day can decide to stop and never smoke again and another person who smokes five finds it hell giving up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join