It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Protection.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I'm a 32 year old female, living in a kind of rowdy neighborhood. It's not hardcore to the point that I'd need a gun. I'm interested in purchasing a knife mainly, but I'd consider a taser. I'm most curious about what kind of knife I should look for to use as self-defense. One that doesn't cost too much, something relatively small and easy to handle, carry in a pocket, and easily access in an emergency. Sorry if this is an odd thread to start, I just wasn't sure where else I should ask. Thanks in advance!

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Moana

Not that odd at all!
I wish I could offer some pearls of wisdom.

I will say though that there is skill and training involved in knife battle. I'm not insinuating that you don't have that, just that one would need some training so they don't hurt themselves in the end IMO.

Be safe and good luck!

Anyway, early and I forgot to add, years and years ago, I had a boot knife. It was my favorite. It was about 4 inches long, the blade, very handy.
edit on 28-2-2016 by TNMockingbird because: more specific

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

If you think you need a knife, a gun would probably be a better option.

Think about using a knife to threaten someone away from you? If there's more than one, you could still be in trouble or the situation could get worse. Some people see a knife as a challenge. Or think about having to use a knife at close quarters? To use it, the assailant would need to be within arm's reach and close enough to smell their breath - high risk.

A gun would be the better deterrent in such situations and be more effective than stabbing someone.

Would you be able to alter your routes? Avoid hot spots? Adapt your behaviour to minimise risk and anxiety? I only ask because it sounds like you're spooked by something and *maybe* addressing that will help you more in the long term than being armed. Self-defence training could really benefit you because a good trainer teaches about body language as well as how to be alert to risks.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moana
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I'm not going to say I have good knife skills, but I have decent fighting skills. We'll see what happens. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

A gun is not an option. Too many people here, including me, who have mood swings and impulse problems.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I'd recommend starting with a small can of pepper spray. You don't want to use a blade unless the situation is life threatening.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moana
a reply to: Kandinsky

A gun is not an option. Too many people here, including me, who have mood swings and impulse problems.

Knife brings the same problems, right?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
A long keychain with lots of keys.Very effective

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Hi Moana! Not a stupid topic at all.

I would get a fold-up knife (legal of course) that you can attach to your key chain.

Now I'm going to try to explain this.
When you're walking, hold your keys in your hand...with a key poking straight thru, between each finger. (so you would have 3 pointy things pointing from your fist, think Wolverine, lol).
If you do it so that your knife is being held in your hand...then you could punch someone in the face/eyes (with your keys...brass knuckles idea but pointy).
You also have already got your knife in your hand if you need it for your next move.

I did that years ago when I was younger and my car was in an underground parking lot every night.
Never had to use it, but always felt a bit better...feeling prepared, and not needing to fumble in my purse.

Hope that didn't sound too weird.
jacy

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
21 Year Military/Federal Cop here. Get a Taser C2. Not a stungun or anything that forces you to engage the threat up close....such as a knife. People that tell you to do this are ignorant and unexperienced. Unless you are specially trained with knives it would be a horror show. A gun... well it really leaves no options for nonlethal force and can be used against you or get you sent to jail. A Taser is relatively easy to use and will typically put down the biggest threat, whether it be a Rapist or a Fat Southie Boston Bar Fly. Then you take off and the A-Hole tries to remember what the hell happened. This is a quick simplistic answer to a complicated issue. DO NOT LISTEN TO ADVICE FROM JUST ANYONE. They will get you killed or thrown in jail. Also, project confidence and keep your head on a swivel. Weakness and fear can be read easily and can/will invite an attack. I used to walk into areas of D.C. where they said no white people should go and waltzed right in and made friends. But I could back it up with if needed. Be safe!

edit on 28 2 16 by IridescentPhoenix because: Edit

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
A long keychain with lots of keys.Very effective

100% Correct! Mine is 6 inches long and weighs about half a pound. I call them my parking lot nunchucks. I ensure I swing them a bit so peeps can see them...that and I'm 6'2" 230lbs and gorgeous. Never have problems even in Southeast D.C. Jersey, Philly, ect...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Russ Kommer, an Alaskan maker, designed a knife for his wife to carry in her purse. Every bush pilot, parachutist, and commercial fisherman who saw it wanted one and kept Russ with more work than he could finish. The answer to his problem was a joint venture with Columbia River Knife and Tool. This is a cutting tool that really gets into webbing, rope or netting.
agrussell.com...

You'll need the serrated and pointed version.

You'll never get over it if you have to use it. Far better to concentrate on staying out of situations where it's use would be essential. Carrying it will change your body language enough to keep sober people away, but not the drunks or drugged up crazies who may not react to injury.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

My thoughts,

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Never pull a knife on an attacker unless you are a professional martial artist. If you are allowed a gun then get that, you really need to avoid close contact situations if you can.

The knife is a bad idea.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   

I should extend on that to say you could easily get killed with your own knife. The point of this design is to make it hard to drop and easy to use in a mad, panicked jabbing and slashing fashion. The design has proved excellent for cutting rope, netting etc. in emergency situations. Often carried by tree surgeons.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I would like to add that you need to know what you're capable of.
If you're a very fearful nervous person, an attacker will see that and definitely have the upper hand.

Can you be aggressive, or ARE you aggressive?
I know it's impossible to know how you would react in a situation until you are in it...(it never goes like you've imagined).

Some people know that they have that impulse, or ability to fight back and maybe even injure the other person.
It's not for the faint of heart.

Find out what's legal in your area. Perhaps a spray or taser in your pocket is a better idea. Immobilize the perpetrator and then get away fast.
jacy

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Before you take any of this advice to heart, you may want to read this : www.abovetopsecret.com...

Although it's hilarious in some places, it's spot on in most. Asking self defense advice on an internet forum is useless. There are some out there who's advice will get you killed or a long time in jail. There are keyboard warriors who's only fighting experience is Youtube videos.. Get personal training if you can.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
A knife is not a good deterrent, if you pull a 3 inch knife to an attacker even if you know jujitsu it will only see a small woman with a 3 inch blade, only carry something like that if you are willing to stab someone a few times before they even know you got a knife.

Get pepperspray, my mom had one small can in her bag.

Funny thing is the only time she needed self defence was when her junky brother put a knife in my neck, luckily that day she had my dad 9mm beretta in the purse, she don't know how to use it, it din't had a bullet in the chamber, but my uncle dint saw a small woman, he saw a big menacing gun and even stoned he knew better

edit on 28-2-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Following on from bally . Go to track club and learn to run , really fast .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join