It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My favourite painting. What's yours?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I love this painting of a sea bream by Montalvo. For me, everything about it is 'mediterranian' - the colours, the feel, even the rustic rope through the jaw of the fish. I'd like to see the rest of the kitchen.

The scales of the fish are particularly nice. But the reds, browns and oranges are even nicer.

As a lover of Spain, fish, fishing, food, cooking - this painting has it all for me. I've never appreciated painted art until I saw this a couple of months ago. Now I can't get it out of my head.

Wiki

If you asked me what was my favourite song I'd list over twenty. So perhaps the question is stupid but... What's your favourite painting or 'picture' (or whatever they are called)?
edit on 27-2-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Don't have a favorite. As far as art, this isn't bad.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I have always liked the Seurat which Cameron is looking at. Reminds me of growing up.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Albrecht Dürer,1513. "Knight, Death and the Devil"

i dont have a favourite, but i always thought this engraving was amazing.
edit on 27-2-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
For a long time it has been The Bear Dance, painted in 1870 by William Holbrook Beard.

edit on 27-2-2016 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Engraved into copper?! That's impressive.

Knight, Death and the Devil (German: Ritter, Tod und Teufel) is a large 1513 engraving by the German artist Albrecht Dürer, one of the three Meisterstiche (master prints)[1] completed during a period when he almost ceased to work in paint or woodcuts to focus on engravings.

The image is infused with complex iconography and symbolism, the precise meaning of which has been argued over for centuries. An armoured knight, accompanied by a faithful and loyal dog, rides through a narrow gorge flanked by a goat-headed devil and the figure of death riding a pale horse. Death's rotting corpse holds an hourglass to remind the knight of the shortness of life. The rider moves through the scene ignoring or looking away from the creatures lurking around him. He appears to be almost contemptuous of the threats, and is often seen to be a symbol of courage;[2] the knight’s armor, the horse which towers in size over the beasts, the oak leaves and the fortress on the mountaintop are symbolic of the resilience of faith, while the knights plight may represent Christian’s earthly journey towards the Kingdom of Heaven.

Nice choice.

edit on 27-2-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Mine is from a Polish painter named Zdzislaw Beksinski

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
ATM

it is one of Kaj Stenvall´s painting called TrinityX
a finnish painter known about his duck paintings and more..
He has sarcastic views on the " World " we live in
Kaj Stenvall

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
Albrecht Dürer,1513. "Knight, Death and the Devil"

i dont have a favourite, but i always thought this engraving was amazing.
Awesome. This is currently the background on my phone. I love detailed black and white renderings. This subject is just dark enough to keep my interest.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263
Lone Wolf in Winter, by Alfred Kowalski.
Christie's

edit on b000000292016-02-27T17:21:39-06:0005America/ChicagoSat, 27 Feb 2016 17:21:39 -0600500000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Difficult to pic a fav, depends on my mood, but the 1st and 2nd I've seen in person and both stopped me cold, the third is almost like a dream to me.
Van Goghs and Max Beckman

edit on 27-2-2016 by ugmold because: addition

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I like the scream and the garden of delights but my favorite painting is this

by Paul Cadden, I like most hyperrealism stuff

I also like a friend in need, by Coolidge

edit on 27-2-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Wow! That is superb!!

Some peeps just seem to have magic hands.

Thanks for posting that

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

check out the links in this thread if you like to see others, i put a new link there today

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Thank you.
Flagged so that more might find it.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Don Quiote by Picasso

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I like the old Guitarist from Picasso

I also like a tale from him, during nazi occupation of Paris a gestapo officer searching his place saw a picture of his painting guernica and asked Picasso if he did it, Picasso replied no you did it.
not bad for a communist

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I would go with this painting by Turner.

It was commissioned in 1948 and is of Shadow Lake just north west of Balsam Lake near Norland, Ontario. It is an original oil. The colour is very natural, the scene is of a location I know well, there are some surrealistic qualities that I really like and I know the entire history of the painting. We have two of them, the other is Lake Ontario towards the Scarborough Bluffs but I like this one better. It was painted around 15 years before Casson's White Pine. I am considering loaning the two paintings to the Cardiac Wing at Toronto General Hospital.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Arnold Bocklin, "The Hermit" (1884)

a man plays his fiddle, and the music is so beautiful it catches the attention of 3 archangels

Great thread OP

S & F

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join