It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toys in the 80's...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think I posted a link to Wishbookweb.com a year or two ago but I'll bring it up again. If you guys are feeling nostalgic for toys, this is a neat trip down memory lane. This guy is collecting Christmas Wishbook catalogs and scanning them. From the 30's through the 90's.

Wishbook

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yep.
first grade Dino riders, in kindergarten someone bought a dinosaur encyclopedia so that prepped me, and by the time Jurassic Park came out, Ninja Turddles who?

Also from He-man universe; Castle Greyskull as dope AF.

www.he-man.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I loved my big wheels. Mine didn't have an adjustable seat like the ones here but it had a hand brake that let me do spins and stuff. I'd ride it until the wheels got holes and it fell apart and got another.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Maaan.

I had a Rambo one, it had some sort of gun in the center.

F'YEAH MERICUH!

edit on 27-2-2016 by Lysergic because: rambone

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

i own a starbird. all pieces are there and in the box.
one of my favorite collectibles.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I love this thread!

I played Boggle and hungry hippos a fair bit

And I had a space invaders portable game.
I give you the Galaxy 1000.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
Nice! When did those come out?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Man.... I liked my soldiers

Also toy cars... smashing them into each other or just driving them across and on everything

Transformers and Go-Bots

Voltron - Voltron was amazing

Star Wars Toys - Millennium Falcon, X-Wing and Speeder Bike

Zoids (anyone?)

He-Man toys and Castle Greyskull

Top Trumps

Garbage Pale Kids

Those little LCD games

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Rock Lords

M.A.S.K toys

Muscle Men (anyone remember them?)

Board games like

Kerplunk
Mousetrap
Stratego
Battleship
Operation
Buckaroo

I did a car boot sale when I was like 12/13 and sold most of my toys... all my star wars, top trumps, turtles, he-man.
Some of that stuff is worth sooooo much money now, really gutted.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

84?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Garbage pale kids was the best reason to go to 7-11.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: blupblup

Garbage pale kids was the best reason to go to 7-11.

Well I'm in the UK but when I was little we had an American shop, was on the American Estate - where all the American servicemen and their families lived, so you could get all kinds of cool food and drink and yes, Garbage Pail Kids Stickers too and that little stick of gum, can still smell that smell now.

Good times.

I'm sure they sold them cards/stickers in many shops in UK but it was always cool going to the American Shop.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
I was 11, much too old for one by then. They look like fun. Did the guns shoot darts or just make noise?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I had a handheld Merlin game, and when I was feeling especially geeky, it was an adequate stand-in for a tricorder or something similar.

edit on 27-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I did way to much drugs and cannot remember my childhood

bet it was sweet though

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Anybody remember the 'Shogun Warriors?'
I remember getting into a fight with an older kid in elementary school.
My favorite was "Dragun."
So was his.
There was a dispute over the proper pronunciation of his name.
He slapped me in the face, knocking me to the ground.
I came back with a fist full of sand to his eyes.
I won. It is "Drog 'oon.' Not "Drag 'un."
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
My favorite was MASK and Transformers.
I don't agree with what you say though. LEGO has amazing sets these days. Also , I grew up on Nintendo. At 38 I still have my own DS and a Wii U. I try to play games with my son but he is only interested in one game - Minecraft. Have you seen it ? It is amazing. It is like virtual Lego. We buy him buckets upon buckets of clay. He sculpts stuff daily. kids have their own things now.
edit on 28-2-2016 by White Locust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Tuomptonite

-Stompers. Tiny battery powered 4x4s

We had those in my Jr/Sr years of high school. We built add on motors so we had a truck with 2 "engines", invented new ways put more "grippy" tires on them, modified the gears so they would have more torque and even had truck pulls with them. It was all the rage for a couple of years.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Transformers and GI Joe's for me. That's imagination. These days the elites just want us to be workers and nothing else...imagination is training for thinking. They cant have us thinking now can they?
edit on 28-2-2016 by IlluminatiTechnician because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: argentus

Nope. Too old. Don't remember Dino Riders, but they look like fun, even now.
I could get behind a toy like that which combined dinosaurs (my fave!) with robots (my fave!)

My favorite toy was a Secret Sam spy case. I loved it. It could shoot plastic bullets from inside the Secret Same briefcase. It could take spy photos from inside the briefcase. It could shoot plastic bullets (that really hurt!) and also a Secret Sam 'rocket' that could send super secret messages. We were little espionage weenies, and imagined ourselves to be spooks employed by the alphabets. Such was the socialization of my era. Imagine that. The alphabets were the good guys. Whoof.

I have never shut up about this toy, it was actually my brother's Christmas gift, but I played with it every chance I got. Too bad we have taken away this aspect of creative play. The periscope was so cool. There was also a metal replica of a lugger pistol that would have any child arrested and tried as a terrorist now.

Spy vs. spy was one of the best role playing games we had....and yes we only had our bodies and props, nothing media based to work with. Often the games lasted for days and covered several neighbourhoods. We would go at it all day and we pick up where we left off the next day. Imagination is a terrible thing to loose.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Awww back in those days, toys really pushed for your imagination, I'm also glad I was born in the 80s.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join