It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada passes anti-Israel motion. Freedom of speech refused.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Canada has passed a motion to condemn the BDS movement which calls for the boycott, divestment and sanctions in regard to Israel. This is ridiculous yet shocking where a government are trying to silence the will of the people.
The very idea of democracy is what our leaders are using to drag us from war to war. Yet it is being refused to the people of Canada. It is the will of the people to do what they please. These ministers are elected to represent the very people they are wanting to silence.

Another example of the illusion of democracy.

link
edit on 23-2-2016 by InMyShell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: InMyShell

We are all being put in a place where we need to stand and demand that the people who have been "elected" are held accountable.

The genocide that is happening to Palestinians has been happening for too long and honestly the BDS movement is the least that the world can do.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

This is interesting and please, I don't mean to make light of your plight, but in the US we'll be seeing something similar eventually and one thing you can't do, in vote for more freedoms.

We can certainly vote them away, but once they're gone, they're gone.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Canada too, eh...

Support BDS anyways.

What can they actually do about it.

Cry?

Scream "holocaust" or "antisemite"?

Fire you, you say?
Imprison you, I hear?

To learn who rules over you, find out who you cannot criticise...

It's Israel for the slow minded.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Is it still legal to research individually which products and companies ought to be boycotted in order to circumvent laws like this?

Israel seemingly has a gun to the head of the western world.

Anybody know what it is? Is it simply that they're anti-Arab?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think the Charter of Rights and Freedoms essentially turns things like the BDS movement into grey areas.

The government is only "condemning" the movement, which means essentially nothing. It lets them wash their hands of it. They keep ties with Israel, free speech is in no way impeded, and both parts of the Charter giving rights to free speech but also protecting citizens from discrimination based on nationality are addressed.

I don't think the government, as a whole, is ever going to really care about BDS.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

We are all being put in a place where we need to stand and demand that the people who have been "elected" are held accountable.

I couldn't agree more. Many elected representatives and State senators in my area said anything to gain that seat of power and influence--only to promote and support legislation in accordance with their affiliated party agenda, voters be damned. I write, email and phone said elected officials if they support legislation that would burden those that they represent unnecessarily, or vote strictly along party lines in direct opposition to the platform they campaigned upon.

Sorry fact is many voters think their voice won't make a difference or matter in the grand scheme of things. They only need to look to recalled and ousted elected officials that breached the trust of those who put them in office, and know they are accountable for their actions while serving the public.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo
"They only need to look to recalled and ousted elected officials that breached the trust of those who put them in office, and know they are accountable for their actions while serving the public. "........
But very seldom.....!

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Maybe the Canadians are not so far gone as I thought.

I would have guessed they would bend over for the Palestinian terrorists and their antisemetic supporters.

There is still hope.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

I would have guessed they would bend over for the Palestinian terrorists and their antisemetic supporters.

There is still hope.

Well, that was certainly rectally sourced, if I may abuse the metaphor.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Silly BDS movement they forgot the 11th commandment. Thou shalt not hold Israel accountable for their crimes.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

There is still hope.

With that being said though , they should still have the right of protest via boycott if they so choose.
My disclaimer : This statement is a reflection of a US citizen..

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

There is still hope.

You can't be antisemetic and support Palestinians as both Arabs and Hebrews are Semites.
Just sayin
edit on 23-2-2016 by ErrorErrorError because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

I would have guessed they would bend over for the Palestinian terrorists and their anti semitic supporters.

There is still hope.

You can't be anti semitic and support Palestinians as both Arabs and Hebrews are Semites.
Just sayin

That is no different arguing the word ni**er means ignorant and is not a racially derogatory statement.

Antisemitism (also spelled anti-Semitism or anti-semitism) is prejudice against, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews as an ethnic, religious, or racial group.

A person who holds such positions is called an antisemite. Antisemitism is widely considered to be a form of racism.

While the conjunction of the units anti-, Semite, and -ism indicates antisemitism as being directed against all Semitic people, the term was popularized in Germany in 1879 as a scientific-sounding term for Judenhass (Jew-hatred), although it had been used for at least two decades prior, and that has been its common use since then.

Wikipedia-Antisemitism

Full Definition of anti–Semitism
: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group
an·ti–Se·mit·icplay -sə-ˈmi-tik adjective
an·ti–Sem·iteplay -ˈse-ˌmīt noun

merriam-webster-anti–Semitism

Definition of anti-Semitism in English:
noun
Hostility to or prejudice against Jews.

oxforddictionaries-anti-Semitism

These are the accepted definitions by the majority of the world.

Just Sayin...

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

These are the accepted definitions by the majority of the world.

Regardless of what the accepted definitions are ErrorErrorError is correct.

Semite
a member of any of various ancient and modern peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.

You would have known this you bothered to read the links you provided.
Wikipedia

While the conjunction of the units anti-, Semite, and -ism indicates antisemitism as being directed against all Semitic people

Merriam-webster and Oxford just give the dumbed down definition of the word.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: InMyShell
Canada has passed a motion to condemn the BDS movement which calls for the boycott, divestment and sanctions in regard to Israel.

Good for Canada!!
Take a stand against bigotry!
As usual, laws are made for those with no ethics!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
How is it anti Semitic when they are only speaking out against the actions taken by a political entity known as the nation of Isreal, and are not saying there is anything inherently wrong, bad, evil, distasteful, or even slightly unpleasant about people who happen to be of Semitic descent?

There is the nation of Isreal, the ethnic group the Semites, and the Jewish religion, three separate things which some people happen to belong to one, two, or all 3.

Why isn't it racist when people talk about Russia, Iran or North Korea?
edit on 2/24/2016 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Agree. The government is not going to care about BDS. This is obvious

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

That's right. I made the same conclusions after talking with my Canadian friends

top topics

join