It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Used Tax Dollars for Propaganda. Update March 13, 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The Government Accountability Office reported on Thursday that mock videos produced by the Bush administration "constitute covert propaganda" and violate Federal law. The Bush administration violated the same law last May with Medicare "news" segments targetting the elderly. The Accountability Office also found that federal agencies under the Bush administration distributed editorials and newspaper articles written by government officials without identifying them, which also constitutes "covert propaganda" and violates Federal law.

www.nytimes.com
The Government Accountability Office, an investigative arm of Congress, said on Thursday that the Bush administration violated federal law by producing and distributing (phony) television news segments about the effects of drug use among young people. ...Representative Henry A. Waxman of California, the senior Democrat on the Government Reform Committee, who requested the review, said the use of the mock news segments broke "a fundamental principle of open government."

The accountability office said the videos "constitute covert propaganda" because the government was not identified as the source of the materials, which were distributed by the Office of National Drug Control Policy.

In May the office found that the Bush administration had violated the same law by producing television news segments that portrayed the new Medicare law as a boon to the elderly.

Federal law prohibits the use of federal money for "publicity or propaganda purposes" not authorized by Congress. The accountability office has found that federal agencies violated this restriction when they distributed editorials and newspaper articles written by government officials without identifying them.

The accountability office said the administration's misuse of federal money "also constitutes a violation of the Antideficiency Act," which prohibits spending in excess of appropriations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not much more to be said, really. The news speaks for itself. Bush uses hard earned American money to manipulate taxpayers, control the US population and push his handlers' international corporate agenda.

Next, I'm hoping the Accountability Office will take on the health propaganda that says infectious epidemic diseases are either "genetic" or self-inflicted and therefore, subject to "Personal Responsibility in Health" eugenics legislation.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Banshee]

[edit on 31-1-2005 by soficrow]

[edit on 13-3-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
For the record - there is no "reportedly" about this:

The Government Accountability Office made the findings. They are legal, and official.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Why is this so easily brushed off by the American people?
Our president used our money to support his propaganda.propaganda.
We are still in deficit, the US Dollar is at an alarming low rate, yet Bush still felt the need to use our hard earned money to win for more years of senseless political control.

What the hell can we do about this?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
What exactly are you looking for here? No doubt prior presidents have done this as well as evidenced by the excesses of the Clinton Administration.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Please give us links FREDT....
If clinton did this, I think we would have heard about this...
post links or don't say untruths......

as to what we do...
I thought we didn't have to do anything... that is the purpose of the report...
We only have to make sure that the people who published the report follow thru with the prosecution for this illegal activity... send letters supporting prosecution to here

[edit on 10-1-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
No doubt prior presidents have done this as well as evidenced by the excesses of the Clinton Administration.

The difference is: Bush went too far, and broke the law. You're right - every administration tries to push the window - but they respect the law. Bush doesn't - he pushes, bends and twists the laws - and when that doesn't work, he just breaks the laws that get in his way.

In this case, the Government Accountability Office found that Bush administration activities "constitute covert propaganda," and his misuse of federal money "also constitutes a violation of the Antideficiency Act."

This is major stuff - it's illegal - and unfortunately for us, it's not unusual for this administration.

What exactly are you looking for here?

For starters, how about: A president who respects the laws of the land?

...Some Americans go to jail for 20 years for stealing candy bars - but the president can break laws with impunity?

Do you honestly think America has 2 sets of laws - one for the rich and powerful, and another for the poor and vulnerable? Is this what our founding fathers planned?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Bush DIDNT break the law...the guy paid was a commentator...not a reporter...leave it alone...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
Bush DIDNT break the law...the guy paid was a commentator...not a reporter...leave it alone...

Pardon me! Your manners coordinate well with your ignorance, Basement.

Bush broke the law.

The Government Accountability Office is an official governement watchdog agency, designed to protect democracy. The GAO made the ruling - it's legal and official.

Thanks for the action link Lazarus.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
He has not broken any laws....the GAO is the same group that wants recounts everywhere...wanted to sue Cheney...etc...they seem to attack this administration at every chance possible...this guy was a commentator...its as simple as that...like oreilly...combs...hannity...guys not dan rather...if he already supported something...why not get paid to speak on it a bit more...there was no laws broken...and that will be shown in time...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
He has not broken any laws....the GAO is the same group that wants recounts everywhere...wanted to sue Cheney...etc...they seem to attack this administration at every chance possible...this guy was a commentator......

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) is an investigative arm of Congress, not a group. It is part of the checks and balances system established to protect American democracy. If you would like to learn about government accountability and the GAO, go to:

www.gao.gov...

...there was no laws broken...and that will be shown in time...

The GAO just ruled that at least 2 Federal Laws have been broken:

1. Federal law prohibits the use of federal money for "publicity or propaganda purposes" not authorized by Congress; and

2. The Antideficiency Act prohibits spending in excess of appropriations.

...The GAO found that certain Bush administration activities "constitute covert propaganda" and violated Federal Law on propaganda. Also, the GAO said the Bush administration's misuse of federal money "also constitutes a violation of the Antideficiency Act."

In terms of propaganda, Bush broke at least 2 Federal Laws, several times.

...These laws are real. They exist. They've been broken.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Is public ignorance to such an extent where people just blurt out non-factual statements in order to blindly support their party. I believe President George Washington warned us of this in his farewell speech.
"All obstructions to the execution of the laws, all combinations and associations, under whatever plausible character, with the real design to direct, control, counteract, or awe the regular deliberation and action of the constituted authorities, are destructive of this fundamental principle and of fatal tendency. They serve to organize faction; to give it an artificial and extraordinary force; to put in the place of the delegated will of the nation will of a party, often a small but artful and enterprising minority of the community, and... to make the public administration the mirror of the ill-concerted and incongruous projects of faction rather than the organ of consistent and wholesome plans, digested by common counsels and modified by mutual interests...
However combinations or associations of the above description may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things to become potent engines by which cunning, ambitious and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the people, and to usurp for themselves the reigns of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."
--Geroge Washington in his Farewell Address, September 17, 1796.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Prince_Machiavelli]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
It seems the political philosophy of Nicolo Machiavelli is also at play in our time, but it has been for quite a long time.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prince_Machiavelli
It seems the political philosophy of Nicolo Machiavelli is also at play in our time, but it has been for quite a long time.

....I agree - wish I had time to itemize the good Prince's strategies and categorize current plays accordingly. Any takers?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
If the Republican's can impeach Clinton for lying about his personal "relationships" then we should be able to impeach GW for repeatedly and overtly breaking the law without apology. This is totally unacceptable, talk about unAmerican! How much power mongering can we really let him get away with? Now he's actually positioning established government agencies to do his bidding and communicate controversial and extremely partisan public policy, blatently violating laws established almost 50 years old! There's no way we can let him get away with a direction given from his office that violates the law. There aren't any excuses now, there's no plausible deniability here. Rove came up with the idea, and Bush gave the orders to distribute covert propaganda. If it's not overpaying government no-bid contracts, mis-managing an unprovoked war in Iraq; shrouding the highest public office in secrecy under the guise of national security; exponentially growing our defecit, stealing from the Social Security Trust fund to finance his agenda, alienating our worldly counterparts and continuously isolating our country, why not this!!! He's an awful President who doesn't even believe he's a servant of the people, shall I quote? "I'm the Commander-see, I don't need to explain- I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explantion." Except the entire American Population!!! We finally have a legal, traceable means to get rid of this horrible "leader" (and I do use the term loosely). Let's finally rise up in one voice, be heard, we've got our reason!! Let's impeach!! Write to your Representatives, protest, talk about it at the water cooler, I don't care just get up and do something! They got Al Capone for tax evasion, let's get G.W. Bush for misappropriation of government funds!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpolles

IMPEACH HIM

If the Republican's can impeach Clinton for lying about his personal "relationships" then we should be able to impeach GW for repeatedly and overtly breaking the law

Wow. Wadda concept.

Don't think it would work tho. Bush is above the law.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This is only the top the iceberg, you dont wanna know how much money is being flushed into the pockets of those thugs in the white house.
This propaganda money is peanuts in comparisen how much money is being wasted in all possible ways.

I got pretty disgusted reading many articles on the web about this subject, if i were an american i would be fkin furious.
Its healthier for an american too be stupid and ignorant i quess....

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
More very interesting information:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Great find, Soficrow. You have my vote for having brought such a clear proof of this administration's dishonesty and disloyalty to the constitution.

But remember that one should not wait for the approval of an official State institution for taking action against what the government is doing.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Interesting:

"In all, at least 20 federal agencies, including the Defense Department and the Census Bureau, have made and distributed hundreds of television news segments in the past four years, records and interviews show. Many were subsequently broadcast on local stations across the country without any acknowledgement of the government's role in their production. "

Under Bush, a New Age of Prepackaged Television News

UPDATE: March 13, 2005

It is the kind of TV news coverage every president covets.

"Thank you, Bush. Thank you, U.S.A.," a jubilant Iraqi-American told a camera crew in Kansas City for a segment about reaction to the fall of Baghdad. A second report told of "another success" in the Bush administration's "drive to strengthen aviation security"; the reporter called it "one of the most remarkable campaigns in aviation history." A third segment, broadcast in January, described the administration's determination to open markets for American farmers.

To a viewer, each report looked like any other 90-second segment on the local news. In fact, the federal government produced all three. The report from Kansas City was made by the State Department. The "reporter" covering airport safety was actually a public relations professional working under a false name for the Transportation Security Administration. The farming segment was done by the Agriculture Department's office of communications.

Under the Bush administration, the federal government has aggressively used a well-established tool of public relations: the prepackaged, ready-to-serve news report that major corporations have long distributed to TV stations to pitch everything from headache remedies to auto insurance. In all, at least 20 federal agencies, including the Defense Department and the Census Bureau, have made and distributed hundreds of television news segments in the past four years, records and interviews show. Many were subsequently broadcast on local stations across the country without any acknowledgement of the government's role in their production.

Thanks Echtelion.

Great find, Soficrow. You have my vote for having brought such a clear proof of this administration's dishonesty and disloyalty to the constitution.

But remember that one should not wait for the approval of an official State institution for taking action against what the government is doing.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
No wonder pro bush tried to discredit any news coming from any newspaper that is not US base.

Over and over the “bias” and “Islamic propaganda” claims will surround anybody that will post anything like “Arab media” or “ Aljazera” .

But how reliable are our own media after all. If obviously our own government is manipulating the news also.

But occurs it will be some few that will be discrediting this link and the reality check that is giving as who owns who in this country.

Very soon we will have Bush in white robs proclaiming he is the one, and many will fall for it.

How gullible the American people really are. How much more is control in our country. I wonder.

new topics

top topics

join