It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marshals Are Arresting People For Not Paying Student Loans

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Ridiculous. This is why my daughter doesn't want to go back to college. She owes $1500 in student loans and you'd think it was $200,000 with the way they hound her.

I pay mine back at $209 a month. I'll probably never get those paid off unless I win the lotto...meanwhile I drive a 12 year old car and can't tell you the last time I went shopping. But my fukcing fed loans are paid!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: jhn7537

I'm screwed by student loans and bad mistakes, I don't want others to suffer the same fate as I did. Sorry your so selfish you'd rather more generations screwed over like us. Is like a black man being against slavery being abolished cause it would mean his descendants didn't have to be slaves like he was.

Just to give you a heads up.

If you work for the government, a non profit or ANY public service (IE police, fire, EMT etc.) there is a loan forgiveness program. You pay a reduce payment for ten years and afetr that the rest is forgiven.

studentaid.ed.gov...

Teachers also have something like this.

Yeah, um not exactly. I've only worked for non profits. As a nurse, I should be included in that loan forgiveness BS. However, actually getting loan forgiveness is nearly impossible. I've known lots of people who have tried, and failed.
edit on 17-2-2016 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Rabb420
this is exactly why furthering my education terifies me

It shouldnt terrify you.

Just choose the right degree.

Best decision of my life was to get a degree as its opened up so many career opportunities.

The key is choosing right.

Make sure its:
biology

This is pretty dependent on where you live and the political climate of your area. Biologists also tend to get paid pretty poorly unless you get into genetics or something full time in a lab. Chances are that won't happen until you've worked for several years doing seasonal field work.
Also, don't forget the $10000/year fee do become a registered professional biologist just so you can actually get a job in the first place.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Nice post Skeptic.

Note to self. Pay your bills & stay out of jail.

Back in my day, some students bought new cars w/their loan ($). For shame.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

No one is forcing these kids to take loans? How long has it been since you were 18? When I was 18 I did absolutely everything my parents told me to do. I was raised to obedience. When my 10 year old brother died in a freak accident 2 months before my freshman year was set to start I told my parents I needed more time. They told me I was going to school. They also told me they weren't paying for it. I went. I got good grades for the first year but mental health was not so good. Second year I fell apart and had to withdraw.

Then due to her crushing grief at the loss of her son and inherent selfishness my mom developed a drug problem. I was storing all my possessions with her while I stayed with a relative while looking for work in another town. I found a job. Called my mother to make plans to get my stuff so I might be able to get a place of my own. It was gone. Every single thing I owned except the clothes I had with me was seized due to my mother.

So that left me with $20,000 in debt, with absolutely no possessions and a job that paid $8/hr. So I go to Dad to ask for help. Nope. Thankfully my gram gave me a place to stay but she wasn't in a position other than that to help me get back up. I found a "company" that was supposed to work with people in debt and help them work with creditors to pay back loans. Turns out it was a scam and they ran off with the $500 I managed to scrape together to pay for their "service".

I didn't know what to do. I was poor, alone, scared and the creditors wouldn't stop calling. Some of them were super shady too. One told me they were going to send the police to arrest me and take me to jail if I didn't send money.

So I tried to kill myself. My gram took me to the hospital and I told them to let me die because I could not afford to be there. They told me it was going to be okay and I wouldn't have to pay there are programs to help me and sign this form. After 4 days in the nut house wing the mental health improved where I didn't want to die anymore. I had some perspective and was ready to fight. A week later I got a $1000 bill from the hospital.

That's when I said # this. I let everything default and worked on making it so I could live again. I did it obviously. I have no debt now and a very nice life. But that came from luck just as much as hard work. Living for 15 years using absolutely 0 credit was extremely difficult and limiting in a society based on debt.

People are forced into situations and problems all the time. And the fact that we are wholeheartedly encouraging and forcing our youngest adults to sign up for crushing debt before they even know what that means is a complete disgrace.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malynn

originally posted by: jhn7537
And what's even better, good ole boy Bernie Sanders wants to give EVERY kid free college, essentially flooding the market and devaluing the degree that some of us worked our ass offfor. I was a full time student (12-18 credit hours every quarter), I worked my day job 7-5pm every day and then I did night school from 5:45 to 10pm at night 4 nights a week.. It really pisses me off that I could possibly need to pay off my loan after all that hard work, while some other kids may get it for nothing...

Yes. The fact that you had it hard is an excellent reason to keep it hard for everyone who comes after you. We should hold others down as much as possible so you can be special.

Wanna know what else is hard today? Buying a house... Why don't we just give every person who doesn't own a house a house too, while we're at it.. i mean, people need a place to live. Doesn't everyone deserve their own house? Why not just have the govt. give it to all the people for free, similar to college... And while we're at it.. Lets give out free groceries, house utilities and gas while we're at it.. These are all basic needs people all deserve, so why not just make them free, right?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Yes actually. I think those who are living on the streets should be given shelter and assistance to get back on their feet again. Then they too can contribute and help others who might need it. Because that's what everyone wants. A decent life and dignity.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Yes actually. I think those who are living on the streets should be given shelter and assistance to get back on their feet again. Then they too can contribute and help others who might need it. Because that's what everyone wants. A decent life and dignity.

You love giving, giving, giving.... but who's paying for all this giving?? It won't be the top 1%, it won't be the wealthy, it won't be corporations, it wont be wall street, it will be the MIDDLE CLASS.... I understand that there are some folks out there who were dealt sh*tty hands and need help, I get that, but that's life and life isn't always fair; now, I also know there's quite a few people out there who made countless bad choices after bad choices and are essentially now needing to lay in the bed that they made for themselves.. This is life, we can't help everyone, because it's not realistic or economically feasible, especially in today's volatile climate of instability in every corner of the world..

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Oh this is irony at its best.

All hailed the Govt take over of student loans as a great march towards what the "people need". Only to find out that same Govt, benevolent and God-like, will not think twice about locking up your butt for failing to pay them back.

I personally can't wait to see the police force for 0bamacare enforcement.

Fun times.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
You know that you live in the wrong society when you have to pay and go to jail for education.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

If you'd like to discuss real issues I'd be happy to do so. But I'm not going to swallow your talking points as some kind of facts or wisdom. Bernie's plans are all paid for and I'd love to get into specific numbers with you. Let's do this!

And those who have stacked the deck against all but themselves are going to pay. They are going to pay the completely reasonable cost now in money, or they are going to pay later in blood. That is an unavoidable fact. The poor and middle class of this country are not content to remain cattle.

And you are correct. Life is very unfair. And being WILFULLY made more unfair every day. WE have the power to make it more fair!
edit on 2/17/16 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

If you'd like to discuss real issues I'd be happy to do so. But I'm not going to swallow your talking points as some kind of facts or wisdom. Bernie's plans are all paid for and I'd love to get into specific numbers with you. Let's do this!

And those who have stacked the deck against all but themselves are going to pay. They are going to pay the completely reasonable cost now in money, or they are going to pay later in blood. That is an unavoidable fact. The poor and middle class of this country are not content to remain cattle.

And you are correct. Life is very unfair. And being WILFULLY made more unfair every day. WE have the power to make it more fair!

Do you honestly believe if Bernie was ever elected that he'd have any shot in hell in passing any of his plan? Do you really believe Wall Street and Corporations will just allow Bernie to win that battle, especially with all the lobbyists in DC who have their hands in the pockets of Congress? Bernie will be road blocked every step of the way...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
What Degree did you achieve?

I am assuming it was something that is considered traditional?

I am not being disparaging, because you have obviously been educated to Degree level.

That to me?

Don’t mind the question. I got a BSc in Biosciences with a emphasis on microbiology and immunology.
Got a few post grad qualifications too.

Never had trouble finding work and I didnt even go to a top university either.
edit on 17-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

I didnt get an education, yet I am less poor than people with marketable skills.

Great job nation!

Likley because you had work ethic and drive

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

We're quite aware he doesn't have a magic wand you know. One of the main pillars of his message is he can't do it alone. One of his slogans is "NOT ME! US!" Its taken 100 years for everything to go to hell and its going to take time to turn things around. But to do that we have to START somewhere! Just because it's hard and the cards are stacked doesn't mean it's time to just take it.

He's building a movement. And it's working. Show me another candidate filling arenas. I don't see people popping up all over the country calling themselves "Trump Republicans" and running against incumbents. But there are self-styled Sanders Democrats challenging Nancy Pelosi and Debbie Whatshername-Schultz right now. And more that I can't remember. Most of Congress is up for reelection this cycle and the constant refrain of the Berners is "TIME TO CLEAN THE HOUSE"

And there is a lot he can do even with sizeable road blocks. The media can't ignore him when he's president. And all the while the movement grows.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I was lucky enough to be able to afford to attend 2 good private colleges and graduate at a time when this was still affordable. I still had student loans to pay off, and I paid them off .

But I certainly can see that if I were college aged today, it would be damn near impossible for me to afford the 2 universities I attended (I graduated with a BS in 1990), now.

Thank Greenspan and the Feds for making this situation, just like to OP says. The easy money lending and flooding of the market with loans allowed the private colleges to become ridiculously overpriced.

I can see it. I've been seeing it for the past 15 yrs. It's a racket.

And oh yeah, I PAID my loans back 100% plus the interest. And I still would not begrudge anyone the chance to get it for free!!! At the very least, the cost needs to be more reasonable. As if that weren't obvious enough to anyone.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Nice post Skeptic.

Note to self. Pay your bills & stay out of jail.

Back in my day, some students bought new cars w/their loan ($). For shame.

They still do that. Cars, rent, computers, you name it. Anything that's remotely used for school can be purchased, and most schools push A LOT of money onto you.

At the previous school I attended they even had a wall of gift cards for nearly every business in town, so you could pay for nearly anything you wanted with your student loans, I think they offered prepaid debit cards too. The process is as corrupt as it can possibly get.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I believe that. I always read or hear about all these wonderful programs that are out there to help with paying back college loans or mortgages, etc...but I don't know of even 1 single person who was able to take advantage of this alleged help.

Does anyone here know of anyone that was ever helped in this way?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

a reply to: SlapMonkey

No one is forcing these kids to take loans?

Let me rephrase...no lending entity is forcing students to take loans. That's what I meant, and I somehow figured that people would get that; my apologies if it was too vague.

How long has it been since you were 18? When I was 18 I did absolutely everything my parents told me to do. I was raised to obedience. When my 10 year old brother died in a freak accident 2 months before my freshman year was set to start I told my parents I needed more time. They told me I was going to school. They also told me they weren't paying for it. I went. I got good grades for the first year but mental health was not so good. Second year I fell apart and had to withdraw.

That's when I said # this. I let everything default and worked on making it so I could live again. I did it obviously. I have no debt now and a very nice life. But that came from luck just as much as hard work. Living for 15 years using absolutely 0 credit was extremely difficult and limiting in a society based on debt.

First, I'm absolutely sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and, because of that, the loss of your mother to dependency. I've seen it within my own (extended) family, and it's a terribly sad thing to witness, and you are literally helpless to fix the situation. It's a terrible feeling--then couple that in with you losing all of your possessions and having your parents force you into student loans, I can see why you're bitter about the whole thing.

What I decided to do when I was 18 was start college but then stop because I knew that I needed a break from school. When I turned 19, I decided it was time for me to get away from my hometown and family and do something that would give me the break I was looking for, but also teach me stuff and force me to mature a bit--I joined the Army as was a paralegal for four years. I opted to pay for the G.I. Bill, so once I was out, that covered the majority of my schooling, almost up to the very last class that I took to get my B.F.A. in graphic design. I did take out a few student loans, but they "only" totaled $8,000, and it was for the programs and technology I needed to be competitive in my chosen career field. Hell, my Apple G5 dual-processor computer (without a monitor or anything) alone was nearly $4k...top of the line computer at the time.

But I digress, because both of our experiences are not relevant to the point that I was making that it's not the lenders who force anyone into taking a loan, let alone multiple ones that add up to tens of thousands of dollars backed by only hopes and dreams for collateral.

Honestly, I think that it's a failure of the high-school education system that they do not prepare up-and-coming adults with budgeting and fiscal-oriented classes, but since they're overseen by the Dept of Ed, and I think that they're in on the whole federal-loan scam, it's no wonder that this is rarely considered in schools. But, I think that it would go a long way in helping quell the student-debt issue.

People are forced into situations and problems all the time. And the fact that we are wholeheartedly encouraging and forcing our youngest adults to sign up for crushing debt before they even know what that means is a complete disgrace.

I don't disagree with this, but on the whole (and it seems that your case is a good example), I think it's more of a parenting issue than anything else. If parents could properly teach household budgeting a debt management to their kids--or, at the very least, speak openly about it if they're having debt problems--I think that this issue would be much less prevalent.

Hell, my dad was awesome with money, but he never sat me down and explained the "why" behind him being awesome with frugality and saving and preparing for retirement, so here I am at age 37 trying hard with my wife to get out of debt so that we can build up a nice retirement quickly. We have a 4-year plan...here's to hoping we can do it.

Again, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your plight in life with your brother and mom.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
What Degree did you achieve?

I am assuming it was something that is considered traditional?

I am not being disparaging, because you have obviously been educated to Degree level.

That to me?

Don’t mind the question. I got a BSc in Biosciences with a emphasis on microbiology and immunology.
Got a few post grad qualifications too.

Never had trouble finding work and I didnt even go to a top university either.

Well, you obviously screwed up. What you SHOULD have done is get a B.A. in English using the maximum student loans available, then you could whine about having to pay them back in a very erudite manner.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join