It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marshals Are Arresting People For Not Paying Student Loans

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

And sometimes, showing up with guns drawn in an overwhelming show of federal government intimidation run amok.
In most parts of the world, that is classified as (state sanctioned) Terrorism.

and the worst part is, is that the government goes to this length to force payment for it's indoctrination program(s).

Why can't they introduce a system similar to here in Australia for (divorced / separated parents) to pay child support? Here, the employer is engaged direct by the government and a payment regime' is set-up and whatever remains goes into your bank account as your pay, and it's usually a fair and amicable amount so that both parties are somewhat satisfied.

But Ohhh no, the US government gotta send in the storm troopers because that's the only way they know how to operate.

Pathetic really.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Swills

I don't think he understands that people with art degrees make the movies he watches. Star Wars comes to mind.

I never said abolish art degrees.

Just not make them free on the tax payer.

"The taxpayer" already subsidizes big business. Why shouldn't this be changed to help educate future generations?

Government subsidized education already exists in the form of elementary/middle/high schools. Why not provide a continuation for those who PROVE that they have the desire and drive to continue on? Elimination of tuition for government subsidized courses of study doesn't mean that everyone gets to party for four years. It means that those that PROVE that they're serious about their education will have the opportunity without monetary obstacles. For the vast majority, I'd surmise that they'd be gated by educational transcripts from being accepted by participating colleges. Upon completion, new graduates would have the opportunity to enter the market and/or exercise their entrepreneurial spirit and immediately improve our nation, rather than spending their first 10 years slaving to pay off college debts.

Because we've done that for those education levels you mentioned, and by doing so essentially made those degrees worthless today, so if we continue that trend along, it's only a matter of time before public college degrees are worthless, and yet you'll still have the masses complaining about being under educated comparatively speaking to those who are paying for private/ivy/MBA educations...

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Those lame monkeys of semi adults should have went to nursing school or become plumbers.

They aren't working hard enough obviously maybe they should be working 90+ hours a week at minimum wage so they can live on the streets and pay their college debt off.

Lazy loser college grads.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

/sigh

Im not saying make all degrees payable and out of reach of the poor either.

Look not everyone is suited to university.

There us no point the government funding 10,00 degrees in black womens, transsexual psychology studies or BA's in monky finger paitting is there is only going to be 5 jobs available.

What I am saying is the government should estimate what vital skills would be needed in the future and fund scholarships in Those degrees for kids that meet the ability.

As vor those that dont meet the academic requirements? Better support for vocational training so they learn a usefull skill.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Those lame monkeys of semi adults should have went to nursing school or become plumbers.

They aren't working hard enough obviously maybe they should be working 90+ hours a week at minimum wage so they can live on the streets and pay their college debt off.

Lazy loser college grads.

Well why didn't they go to nurseing school or get training as a plumber?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Is the Federal Government a Predatory Lender?

In a word yes, and a whole lot of other words that are unmentionable by ATS TC.

People need to look up social security garnishment by the state to 'repay' student loans while this topic is fresh.

The Federal government is predatory in nature.

There is not a single thing 'benevolent' about it, or anything it does.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I don't think a person should go to jail and such. But my question would be is how do we get the taxpayer his money back?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
They aren't working hard enough obviously ...

Exactly. Think how much more quickly they could pay off Shylock if they just lived out of their cars. And if they had their bodily fluids drained on a regular basis down at the Plasma Center, that loan would be paid off in a jiff! If they were really serious about getting out of hock, they'd look into selling one of their kidneys. Lazy Buggers!
edit on 16-2-2016 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
... how do we get the taxpayer his money back?

First, get everyone, even the gals, to register for the draft. Then....

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Remember those dates, 1978 and 1998, two milestones in the creation of this financial fraud on American citizens. Now, look at this chart that shows the relative change in consumer prices since 1978.

Realizing that easy money was available to students, the cost of tuition began to rise at a rate well above any other consumer expense, in lock-step with the laws protecting student loans from bankruptcy filings in the first five years. Then, a second spike after the 1998 revision to the law, removing the time frame, denying bankruptcy completely.

College tuition has risen at a rate of twice that of medical costs, and nearly 3.5 times everything else. Predatory federal loans enabled the insane rise in tuition. And now, if you can't pay, serious people with guns will be at your door.

Does this take into consideration the vast defunding by state governments of higher education?

That's what has been squeezing costs upward in Oklahoma. Well, that and college football funding.

link   
a reply to: starviego

Thank you for understanding me, I don't feel so alone now.

link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I don't know, last I heard they are hiring 4 billion nurses.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This title is a bit misleading. You cannot be put in jail for not paying your loans. These marshals were enforcing judgments to force a payment plan.

Trust me, I know better than most about the crippling impact of student loans. I came out of college and law school with $280,000 in debt (as I paid my own way). I get to pay around $2500 a month in student loan repayments.

I think the underlying costs of college (including books, cost of living, etc.) are the problem, not the lenders. Without the lenders I wouldn't have been able to go to school. My interest rates are reasonable. Just because the government takes action to enforce you paying back the money you borrowed, how is that bad? I would do the same if I loaned someone money and they didn't pay it back.

edit on 16-2-2016 by ExNihiloRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

What does registering for the draft have to do with getting taxpayers money back?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Having 2 daughters currently in college/university and 1 who took the factory route. I honestly don't believe in the free college aspect. Hand ups not hand outs is the key! My daughters in college work hard to gain scholarships and study even harder to keep their grades up while they work their way through a higher education. Many students are just riding out their educations and scoff at my daughters diligence. I would rather assist those like my daughters who really are serious about learning not just going to school! My other daughter, not in college, yes she struggles with bills but she is happy doing her thing. Different personalities and dispositions. Free college extension based off of K-12 sounds like a good idea, but with out any personal contribution...it may not be as appreciated by the student nor the employer.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Unable to work? Can't find a job? Not paying a loan back?

Uncle sam needs you… to go to prison.

At least there here you'll make money doing something.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.
There will be only so many billets available in those fun-filled military positions, so do the others get a pass on their patriotic chore? Oh no, no, no. They can either buy their way out of their obligation, or do "National Service"* of some sort. Of course, you will be working for $5/hr, when you should be getting $15/hr, but it's how you pay back your country for being able to live in such a swell country, so it will be OK. But in fact it will be a form of indentured servitude.

----------------

*You'll be hearing a lot more of that term in the future.

edit on 16-2-2016 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Funny nowhere in the article does it say what his degree was in.
And $1500?
Come on.
$20 a month isn't gonna break your budget.
I'm below poverty line and I can make that much.
It's called Good Faith.
Shows an effort.

I dunno....was this guys Degree a viable long term one or was it a soft major blow off? Because I'll tell you point blank from personal experience...one has employment opportunities and the other is a glorified hobby.

I don't agree that every major should be a free ride when most of the softer degree programs you can learn virtually everything you need to know just from being proactive on the internet instead of just using this wonderful technology as a blow off distraction chasing pipe dreams and ego fantasies.

Eh.

But what do I know, right?
I don't have a "fancy piece of paper".
I dropped out when I realized my initial Art Major was a waste of money.

DERP.

edit on 2/16/16 by GENERAL EYES because: added minor detail

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
What Degree did you achieve?

I am assuming it was something that is considered traditional?

I am not being disparaging, because you have obviously been educated to Degree level.

edit on 16/2/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I don't think a person needs to go threw all that crap just for an education. Maybe the government shouldn't be in the loan business. Then the taxpayer wouldn't need to get their money back.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join