It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T Says Gigabit Per Second 5G Speeds On the Way Starting 2016

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Well the bandwidth just keeps on rolling in! Up to 100 times faster than 4GLTE , AT&T will be testing 5G technology in limited markets with commercial availability possibly available sometime this year??

AT&T on Friday unveiled its 5G network roadmap for 2016 and if all goes according to plan, the carrier could launch services on a limited basis starting this year. 5G is the next generation of wireless data technology that will deliver speeds 100 times faster than today’s 4G LTE services by using technologies such as millimeter waves, network function virtualization (NFV), and software-defined networking (SDN). Tests will begin in AT&T labs in the second quarter this year while outdoor tests of 5G will take place over the summer.

“Customers will see speeds measured in gigabits per second, not megabits,” AT&T crows.
It’s probably safe to assume 5G networks will have significantly higher data caps than what they have now but this is definitely something to keep an eye on when services roll out.

AT&T tells us that “an early use of 5G’s underlying technology could be delivering broadband to homes and businesses” while explaining that “it’s possible that we could have limited commercial availability this year depending on the trials.”

Sooooo, who here will be lucky enough to reside in those markets where it will be tested??? Please let us know fellow members if its you!
edit on 2/14/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   
meanwhile, AT&T offers DSL service that is slower than the 3g internet i get from sprint.

I can drive around town listening to videos on youtube....but connect to a DSL connection and some of the videos start buffering.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

5 G sounds great but I cant get a signal at the lake.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
More power broadband, radiated cell destroying technology jumps.. I'm really looking forward to this

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I understand. I live on Lake Michigan and have limited access because of sand dunes. We have cable for internet and phone but the cell phone nothing. Walk up the road 200 feet and cell phone works great. On a clear night I can see the Sears tower 50 miles away but no cell connection

a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

edit on 14-2-2016 by mikell because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2016 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I was paying 35/month for their uverse 6/mbps(only really 5mb) in grand rapids mi, a 1 million metro. what a joke this is.
right now I have the same deal and my 6/mbps is only putting out 3mbps. I live a 1/4 mile from a high school that had 100 mbps 10 years ago. I don't get it.

With sprint 4g is still a rarity. I still have 3g issues in the populated areas of michigan.

Whats the point of 5g when most places still do not have 4g and there are 3g blackout areas all over it seems. 4g is plenty fast as is a 25mb/s

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
well here is 123G or something like that:

nextbigfuture.com...

They achieved a rate of 1.125 Tb/s as part of research on the capacity limits of optical transmission systems, designed to address the growing demand for fast data rates.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Delete. wrong thread.
edit on 14-2-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: posted to the wrong thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

we expect field trials of 5G technologies to provide wireless connectivity to fixed locations in Austin before the end of this year.

Well hey, your in Texas. Would you mind taking a trip sometime this year up to Austin once they begin their field trials and let us know if the speeds are everything they are saying?? Otherwise I have to wait to hear about it from Alex Jones and how its an NWO plot to download everything in mere seconds or something or the other.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Meanwhile in Europe.....
A bunch of scowling depraved secret services, are looking for ways to interfere with your daily life and working life by interfering and constantly breaking your internet or VPN connection. The main focus of such actions are highly impractical and stand purely on a Psychological scope. Their activity is not at all aimed at spying the internet communications of fellow citizens. They were already doing it for the past 40 years. Now their interest is in dysfunction.
Like in the good old soviet union the EUSSR today is very good at dysfunctions and puts them well in practice. The last few years of the USSR had expensive food in the store. The last few years of the EUSSR has internet breakdowns orchestrated by EU burocracy and the EuroSTASI with the sole purpose of molesting citizens.
edit on 14-2-2016 by Flanker86 because: too many adjectives

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Bah i do not buy it. I am still getting 3G from Sprint in Colorado Springs ffs. Also, Directv has been shottier since AT&T bought em out already..

I hope it is true though. Once 5G is the 'thing' hopefully most people will start actually getting working 4G speeds.

In South Korea and Japan theyve got fiber internet that is like 10x faster than anything possible over here. I want that.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Oh great, more microwaves to fry my brain.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Just want to point out that we've all heard this before when 4g came around...

In March 2008, the International Telecommunications Union-Radio communications sector (ITU-R) specified a set of requirements for 4G standards, named the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced (IMT-Advanced) specification, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 megabits per second (Mbit/s) for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).[1]

4g was spec'd for 100mbit when moving and gigabit when stationary.

Meanwhile I'm paying about the same for my home internet vs my 4g cell-
50x5 from time warner, and my mobile just tested at 48x21.

Time warner should probably get with the program- they've got a wire to my house and offer four times less upload speed, which is all I'm looking to get- a 10x10 pipe would be more useful to me than 50x5...

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I live in a rural area and there is no AT&T or anyone else wired internet. Phone service is questionable at best unless driving near a town.

They still get to charge outrageous amounts for a phone land line.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Is it possible they simply made those projections before any actual testing? Oh wait, now that you mention it, I guess you have a point.

top topics

join