It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you confident you know what happens after you die? (Non-religious replies preferred.)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Even though I have had experiences that leave me with confidence that we go on minus our body after we die, I have no confidence I understand what the reality is.

Do you know the answer?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Nobody has the answer...

And if they say they do they're only fooling themselves

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Not at all.

My life trajectory in terms of belief in the afterlife has been:

• Raised in religious household (probably setting me up for a lifetime of never being able to fully accept the comparative terror of simply ceasing to exist - which to some extent all humans suffer from; see existential terror management)
  • Creating my own ad hoc spirituality that is completely non-religious in my teens and young adulthood
  • Becoming completely skeptical in my 20s
  • Becoming skeptically agnostic and hoping against hope there is something after this and entertaining that possibility

... which is essentially where I'm at now in my 30s.

Peace.
edit on 2/9/2016 by AceWombat04 because: tp

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I agree with Akragon here. Other than that, those of us who are religious have to go on faith that there is more to life than this but even with that, NOBODY really knows. The ones that do know aren't coming back from the dead to do a TMZ Tell All one way or the other.

The only sure things concerning this subject are... EVERYONE will eventually have a chance to find out the truth for themselves, and that we will all keep searching for any clue to that answer until then.

Kind of like death and taxes.

edit on 2/9/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well for starters my body will start to decay. If buried then the worms will eat me and if I am cremated which I would rather as I believe burying takes up important land. If I am cremated then my ashes will be spread upon the earth either way I will be feeding the earth and it's creations. I would like to believe that I am reincarnated and in a way I will be as my body will be used by the earth and life to grow more. I was raised with no religion and sort of anti religion as most wars and genocides in the past were to do with my gods better than yours. I was raised to love and respect Papatuanuku, Mother Earth, Gaia or our home planet. I am still non religious although my husband was raised a Muslim he now says he is part time Muslim. Our children are non religious.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I am content and confident in my understanding that nothing whatsoever will happen when I die.
I don't believe we have souls. There is no afterlife.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

This is the very idea that all religion is based around... Life after death

Strangely what happens after death seems to be mostly absent from these texts excluding the punishment part, which is quite abundant...

I believe its something no one could have even imagined, even beyond comprehension until you are there in the experience...

All I know is.... im gonna be down right pissed if I have to sit in pews...

edit on 9-2-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Of course not. Nobody knows. But it is a much easier task to rule some possibilities out. We know that some very popular opinions are logically impossible. And we can determine that most if not all of the conceived ideas about an afterlife are incorrect. It is actually more prudent to dismiss any hypothesis that is brought up than to accept any of the speculation that has been offered up so far. That is to say that if there is an afterlife, it is probably unimaginable.

Since i have never seen or experienced any reason to believe in an afterlife, my theory of life and death does not include one.

The entirety of medical and physical science has nothing to show after all of this time, and not for lack of looking. If there were one repeatable event we could pin onto the existence of an afterlife, then i would get on board. But there just isn't.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The question is how much can you trust an out of body experience? Are the experiences connected to subjective views of what is?

But if there is not an afterlife that you can go to where do the spiritual energy come from?

From my point of view To map out the unknown objectively you would need:
1 A way to read the current state of a brain in real time on a quantum level including what is entangled with what.
2 Understand how the information in the brain create senses so you can in real time be aware of what another person is aware off.
3 Know how to recalibrate the third eye to scan the unknown just like you tune in different stations on a radio.

With this you can use different subjects at the same time measuring the same thing to see how the different subjects minds interpret what they are experiencing and get a better understanding on how the subjective influences the experience.
edit on 9-2-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

The ones that do know aren't coming back from the dead to do a TMZ Tell All one way or the other.

That discounts a whole genre of near death experience, doesn't it? People dying on the operating table and reporting looking down on themselves later?

How about OBE's? Technically, leaving ones body doesn't represent travel in the spirit?

How about ghostly phenomenon, I've seen spirits so real they looked like 'living' people. Hair, clothing, carrying stuff.

We may not know all about whats over there, but surely we've seen through the veil, darkly.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

As an atheist,of course I'm going to say: Dead is dead but the idea that the atoms of which I'm made will all still be here is comforting.

One day,we will be part of a star.

Again.
edit on 9-2-2016 by Ericthedoubter because:
is irritating.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Yes, I know. In fact we all do. It's well documented, but it is not pretty. Riggormortis, putrefaction, and rapid decay of the corpse occurs. Luckily, our corpse is tended to by the living, and we are often given the respects of our loved ones through ritual and celebration, before we are passed on to the Earth.
edit on 9-2-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

My evidence is that I was once briefly brain dead before oxygen was restored.

During that time my 'soul' or what have you left my body and was slowly floating away and going 'somewhere'. Saw my surroundings completely including my body but did not recognize 'me' just complete calm and no worries

Has left me with confidence in an afterlife only have no concerns of what I do now in this one seeing how my body meant nothing to me once passed on, gives me a great sense of freedom

That's my two cents

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The ones that do know aren't coming back from the dead to do a TMZ Tell All one way or the other.

That discounts a whole genre of near death experience, doesn't it? People dying on the operating table and reporting looking down on themselves later?

How about OBE's? Technically, leaving ones body doesn't represent travel in the spirit?

How about ghostly phenomenon, I've seen spirits so real they looked like 'living' people. Hair, clothing, carrying stuff.

We may not know all about whats over there, but surely we've seen through the veil, darkly.

So we need to believe everything that people say they have experienced ? Alien abductions, UFO sightings, bigfoot or yeti sightings, ghost sightings, OBEs, telepathic experiences, people claiming they have talked with god or they have seen this or that religious figure, people who claim they are prophets, and many more.. All of that is true ? And in a age where everyone has a 5 megapixels camera in the pocket, there are no real proof ? Also don't forget we are far from knowing everything about the brain or consciousness.
edit on 9-2-2016 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I am an agnostic and am fairly confident that I'll die, be cremated and my ashes will be scattered somewhere. It's that simple for me. I have no religious tendencies and have little time for sky fairies. I do however sometimes feel envious of other people's faith when that faith brings them comfort in the possibility of a continued existence somewhere (albeit misguided imo)

I am 99% sure I will be returned to the earth that spawned me and the other 1% is left... well you know, just in case lol.

Reincarnation is an unusual topic for me but I know that my ashes may somehow become part of another person's existence and may at some point be recycled enough times to still be around when the Earth has had it's time and those remnants of mine may contribute to a wider part of the universe. I live in hope.

I prefer to try my hardest at being the best I can be in this life and not to spend my life trying to prove my worth or eligibility to a cruel and often sadistic deity - should they exist.

Nice post OP.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It does discount near death experiences simply because not everyone has one. Many people report them, and many more don't experience anything. Why doesn't everyone experience them? The fact that everyone doesn't, obviously leaves a gaping hole of doubt. To not doubt it, you would almost have to believe that some folks aren't really alive to begin with. That train of thought would mean that every single person who has died (and been brought back) or been near death would have reported some sort of experience.

I am religious, so I do believe there is life after death, but the OP did not want opinions from that viewpoint. Even then, as I said in my original post... all I can go on is faith because we do not know.

It's the same with aliens, bigfoot, etc. The people who have seen/experienced these things absolutely 100% believe them. Until I can experience them, then I don't know.

Certainly there are many things that happen to us, around us, and inside of us that simply can't always be explained logically IMO.

Regardless of reports or the lack of them, nobody does know for a fact. When someone dies, is buried, and comes back some time later out of the grave and reports on it.... Then we can talk about surety of facts.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
NOBODY really knows. The ones that do know aren't coming back from the dead...

I'm going to have to disagree...

All of my research suggests that there is a massive amount of evidence that says just the opposite.

The fact that people are being raised from the dead on a daily basis to me is proof of this.

The evidence for the bodily resurrection of Jesus and numerous appearances of Him alive after He died is agreed upon by virtually all (at least 95%) scholars, both liberal and conservative (see Dr Gary Habermas, world’s most renowned scolar on Christ’s Resurrection, as well as other scholars).

winteryknight.com...

Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. Such occurrences as this are happening with increasing frequency in the world. In one ministry alone, in Mozambique, Iris Ministries with Rolland and Heidi Baker have seen over 100 people raised from the dead, many of them documented-and miraculous healings that bring entire villages to Christ (over 8000 last count).

blog.godreports.com...

Surprise Sithole has prayed for 8 dead people who came back to life! Those under him prayed for more than 100 dead people who have come back to life!

Rolland and Heidi Baker, Founders of Iris Ministries, have seen more than eighty people raised from the dead in their ministry in Africa...

When Heaven Comes Down

CALEME, TERESOPOLIS, Brazil – People of the barrio of Caleme have witnessed Saturday 5 dead bodies raised from the dead in the street. Another 10 bodies from the morgue have been raised to life. One woman who drowned and was dead was also raised back to life. The people in Caleme reported that 5 American men went near the 5 bodies and yelled, “Rise and live in the name of Jesus.” The dead bodies started to shake and stood up and walked and are alive.

At the nearby morgue, there were 10 dead bodies in the hallway. People said that 5 foreign women went near the bodies and said, “Rise and live in the name of Jesus.” The dead bodies shook and stood up shaking and walking and were alive. People were screaming, yelling. Riot at the barrio of Caleme.

These 5 dead bodies in the street of Caleme have been dead since Wednesday January 12. The 10 dead bodies in the morgue have been left in the hallway since Wednesday. People have talked to the dead risen. They were still weak but were able to talk and they said, “I was in a dark place many people crying, shouting. Was I asleep? Now I am alive!” “I know I was dead. I was in a dark, ugly place. I do not know what happened, but I am back to life. God is alive.”

16 Dead Bodies Confirmed Resurrected from the Dead

When Jesus died there was a violent earthquake and the veil in the temple was torn from top to bottom. The Bible says tombs were opened and many bodies of saints arose from the dead. It says that after Jesus' resurrection they went into Jerusalem where many people witnessed their return to life. ~ Mt 27:51-53

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" ~ John 11:25

edit on Feb000000Tue, 09 Feb 2016 01:58:53 -06001am29Tue, 09 Feb 2016 01:58:53 -060020165809 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

You are certainly allowed to disagree but the OP did not wish for the subject to be discussed from a religious point of view so....

I already stated I was religious, however I will be honoring the OP's request on NOT discussing this matter from that viewpoint any further.

edit on 2/9/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
Even though I have had experiences that leave me with confidence that we go on minus our body after we die, I have no confidence I understand what the reality is.

Do you know the answer?

Way back in the 1970's I watched a series of 'interviews' if you could call it that, rather it was just this lady talking. Her name was Dr Elisabeth Klubbler Ross.

She worked with terminally ill people mostly kids.

She learned that the while the kids don't have the vocabulary to express themselves with, they express themselves in drawings. The kids would always say in their drawings when they were going to die and they were never wrong.

When she learned to how interpret the kids drawings she could tell at a glance when the child was going to die and she was never wrong in her estimation.

I found this series distressing to watch but it was riveting viewing.

Some 10 or so years later I read a short article in the middle of the news paper, an account of a young child who was in hospital and dying of cancer. He had been in and out of hospital many times and was a regular patient at the hospital.

One day, late in the afternoon, he got out of bed and went up and down the corridor saying goodbye to everyone he had got know. Many of the staff, doctors and other patients were in tears as a result of this.

The little boy said to them "don't worry, I'll come back,and next time I will be in a healthy body.'

That night the little boy died about midnight.

To answer your question, I think these two stories tell us something.

cheers

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I personally think we are energy, therefore we can't be created nor destroyed. Once we die we become something else, whether we know it or not...well do you remember being inside a star at one point in time?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join