It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders Voted in Favor of the Glass-Steagall Repeal in 1999

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

So let's me get this straight.

Sander voted on a bill that made sense.

However after the vote special interests came in and added language that limited regulation on the financial sector.

Now this makes a incredibly big difference in the context of the vote.

And also makes this story a huge pile of steaming horse manure.

if this is the best Hillary can throw at the guy. He's got my vote.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
The vote on July 30th in the House, the one referred to in the OP, was to send the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Bill to conference committee to negotiate differences between the House and Senate bills. Bernie Sanders voted in the affirmative for this action.

Once the bill came out of committee, there was another vote to enact the new law. govtrack Bernie Sanders voted nay for this.

So Bernie voted for the House version of the bill. At least to the extent to have the House bill sent to conference committee.
However, he voted against the final product, though the vast majority of both chambers and both parties voted in favor.

-dex

Just wanted to pass along a "job well-done". Your remarks and thoughts do a bang-up job of sorting through this non-issue.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Thanks for the kind words. However, were it not for Swills comment, I was going to just write it off as another campaign smear. I figured Bernie could provide a plausible answer for his vote.

Then I started looking into it a bit more, and I found the rest of the story. Apparently the OP was also doing a bit more research. xuenchen posted:

My sources could be wrong.

If so, I'll take the heat.
I think it's pretty classy that he issued a mea culpa for the jump to judgement. That's a perfect example of "Deny Ignorance."

-dex

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

He did not. He voted for an Omnibus Spending Bill to keep the government running, the Commodity Futures Modernization Act which was slipped into the 700 page bill just before the vote.

You, as usual, are intentionally distorting the facts (just like Ms Clinton did).

The CFMA had been shoved into an omnibus spending bill at the last minute as part of a deal between Republicans and President Bill Clinton, and because this was a time when, you know, Congress actually did its job, Sanders bit the bullet and voted for the whole package -- CFMA included -- to keep the government open. - See more at: www.thomhartmann.com...

Those are the FACTS of the matter.

You can hear his honest reply to this matter here:

www.democracynow.org...

Clinton does top you in the disingenuousness however when you consider this FACT:

So what’s Gary Gensler - the guy who promoted the CFMA - up to today?

Oh, you know; nothing big.

He’s just the Chief Financial Officer of the Hillary Clinton campaign.

Yep, that’s right, the CFO of the Hillary Clinton Campaign! - See more at: www.thomhartmann.com...

I tend to ignore those that pass on lies - or rather those without the sense to check facts before passing them on. I also tend to hope that they just don't know any better. And for those who do so deliberately in order to garner attention I only feel disgust. Those that know better and do it for political and financial gain - well - Karma will get them sometime.

This I couldn't ignore - and the members of ATS deserve the truth and with it the freedom to make up their own minds.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

not smart about this stuff but didnt this vote come around during the almost shut down of the government? ie he did it so the government would not shut down? thats what i got from my hard core bernie sanders supporter friend who is usually wise about such things said

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: InMyShell

Is this the best dirt that can be dug up on Sanders?

That is the Mount Everest of dirt, and it just goes to show how full of snip Sanders is.

Whining about bankers, and 'billionaire oliugarchs'.

And Sanders voted to give them FREE reign.

That's what Glass Stegall did. That created the housing bubble. That lead to the BAILOUTS.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Bernie wants to bring it back in some form.

We need a vote to bring it back and then can see who is for or against the people and who is for the banks

Bill Clinton the fake progressive ended it with a sinister cabal of republicans and the bribed congress and senate voted for the banks to end it.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

As explained later in the thread by DexterRiley he voted Yay on the Bill originally, before the text was in it that would neuter key regulations. After the vote Phil Gramm (a RINO? Really xuen?) added text Bernie was against so he then voted Nay.

Oh nice the Kerry 'defense'.

Sanders was 'for' it, until he was 'against' it.

Classic worthless politicians.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Why aren’t Obama and the GOP controlled congress vying to bring it back?

Because the banks own Obama and the congress

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Agreed.

(H/T to Swills)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join