It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts Believe Hobby Lobby Stole Biblical Antiquities From Iraq. Here’s Why.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

heck the vatican probably has enough treasure stashed to make every museum in the world full, which we will never know about.... but there wasn't much as far as laws to prevent people from taking off with artifacts until recently... as lone as the museum can prove that the artifact wasn't swiped from the country of origin before those laws went into effect, there are no laws broken...

archive.archaeology.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Museums buy historical artifacts. Period. If this was an illegal purchase, or negotiation with a terrorist group, then obviously they should be returned. If an investigation has been in progress for four years, then evidence is not clear.

a reply to: ladyinwaiting

or.... they have found enough evidence to warrent going through all 40,000 pieces of artifacts tracing their history. which, I imagine is quite a challenge....
maybe it's one of obama's shovel ready projects, and he is just providing lots of jobs... but it's not a job that one would want to take on without good reason I don't think...

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Stealing or buying stolen artifacts; how very Christian of them.

So you're not interested in the facts, proof, or outcome......you just want to toss out drive-by insults ?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: TechniXcality

gee, if I remember, right, ya know when Bush was president, I kept hearing a phrase "if you're not with us, you're against us", how many times have the liberals been accused liberals of aiding the terrorists just for speaking up in defense of those arabs who have no evidence of even being connected to terrorism. So here why one the one hand, isis making millions a month selling looted artifacts, and well, hobby lobby mysteriously accumulating artifacts and refusing to give much details as to how they are coming up with them. plus the fact that customs intercepted a shipment that was quite suspicious. and it's ya!! good for them!!! I never said a thing about them being white, or black, athiest or christian really, just hypocritical.... in that what they claim to believe...weather it be about the birth control pill, or it be theft, well, it seems they'll easily let that belief go when it suits them.

gee, if yous are so concerned about your country falling to sharia law, like yous act like you are....well, maybe you should be a bit concerned as to weather or not hobby lobby is buying artifacts originally looted by isis and other terrorist groups and financially supporting them.

All that when you have no idea if the charges are true.

And a veiled threat and approval of terrorism, to boot.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

and..... I get the feeling that even if it's found that this is exactly what they are doing, some among the ATS crowd will be defending the actions.

who knows they might even start a "please don't fine Hobby Lobby" petition. After all it seems to be the rage these days... some people should oh, I don't know, be allowed to break all kinds of laws, as long as their intentions are good.

So you're pre-emptively accusing people of excusing crimes, having no idea if that's even true.......

But you're going whole hog accusing Hobby Lobby of various things, having no idea if that's even true.....

Quite the thing you've got going there.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
These things are supposed to be embarrassing when you're called out on them, folks......

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

read through the threads that we made here about those nice videos about planned parenthood... you're accusing me of something that seems to be the norm here on ATS...
only with that one, I said okay, if planned parenthood is found to have done wrong, let them be charged but if cmp has been, well, then let them be charged. so now we have a petition going around to save cmp, and threats being made against the da.

Gee, it don't know how many times in this thread I have posted statements starting with..."if this is true..."
and it does appear that many just don't care if it's true or not, they are right into the justification of it. so, what can I say....

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

These things are supposed to be embarrassing when you're called out on them, folks......

Indeed! Good for the OP to call them out on this hypocrisy!

So you're pre-emptively accusing people of excusing crimes, having no idea if that's even true.......

Not the OP, the FEDS are "investigating" accusations....

Exclusive: Feds Investigate Hobby Lobby Boss for Illicit Artifacts

In 2011, a shipment of somewhere between 200 to 300 small clay tablets on their way to Oklahoma City from Israel was seized by U.S. Customs agents in Memphis.

From the article linked in the OP:

“The issue is not whether they were caught smuggling stuff, the issue is why they were doing it,” said Amr Al-Azm, a professor at Ohio’s Shawnee State University who has helped save antiquities from all out destruction or illegal sale through a league of archaeologists in Syria.

The reason that he thinks the Green family might have broken international law or avoided ethical standards in the antiquities trade is to promote their overtly Christian beliefs—beliefs they fought for and won at the Supreme Court last year in their landmark case on the religious freedom of employers with regards to government mandates on healthcare.
“In their hearts, [I think] they think they’re doing the right thing,” Al-Azm said. “They look at this cultural heritage and they have a close affinity to it. They feel that this is something that touches their deep core beliefs, and they see it in an area or a place that is dangerous or unstable. So they can justify this sort of activity by saying I’m doing something good for posterity.”

The problem is that they have to disregard the law and support brutal forces in order to “save” Christian antiquities from Iraq and Syria.
thinkprogress.org...

edit on 9-2-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
ha, international law. You'll have to excuse me if I don't care a whit after that.

International law is written around hate for America, capitalism, conservatism, Christianity, American social norms, and so on.

With the possible exception of AGW or the UN, it's the single most ridiculous societal and economic fraud ever rolled out as "law".

If Obama's involved, yes, it probably is sour grapes, eating crow, and humble pie after the loss at the SC.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

ha, international law. You'll have to excuse me if I don't care a whit after that.

Yeah! We don't need no stinkin international law when buying products from the international community!

#wedon'tneednostinkinlaws

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Not when it's from some random professor who doesn't like America or Hobby Lobby or capitalism for 101 other reasons.

Let me make sure I got this right.

Random schmoe professor from random school....claims from out in left field that H.L. MAY have violated "International Law".....and the American Justice Dept jumps right up to investigate.

Yes, that's the path I want to see random accusations take. The Just-Us Dept.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

American Justice Dept jumps right up to investigate.

Isn't that what they're supposed to do when US customs seizes illegally mislabeled and undervalued ancient artifacts?

Do you think we should look the other way because these are rich and famous Christians?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

American Justice Dept jumps right up to investigate.

Isn't that what they're supposed to do when US customs seizes illegally mislabeled and undervalued ancient artifacts?

Do you think we should look the other way because these are rich and famous Christians?

I don't think we should ever look the other way for any reason.

Mislabeled and undervalued are incredibly subjective descriptions. Especially if they originated from random schmoe professor.

If this goes somewhere, you're right. If not, I'm right. I would hate to see it go nowhere for several years, like the IRS cases. Or perhaps just long enough to ensure that someone can't be involved in an election.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
it became quite evident that some on ATS didn't care about international law when they justified bush's many offenses against it.

International law is written around hate for America, capitalism, conservatism, Christianity, American social norms, and so on.

and here's the kicker, america had a powerful role to play in writing most of it, back in a time when the most liberal among us were probably more conservative than many of the republican party now days!

don't they teach history now days in the schools, or are yous homeschooled?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Mislabeled and undervalued are incredibly subjective descriptions. Especially if they originated from random schmoe professor.

This is you not knowing what you're talking about and not looking at the evidence against The Greens.

edit on 9-2-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

it became quite evident that some on ATS didn't care about international law when they justified bush's many offenses against it.

and here's the kicker, america had a powerful role to play in writing most of it, back in a time when the most liberal among us were probably more conservative than many of the republican party now days!

don't they teach history now days in the schools, or are yous homeschooled?

Since you're pretending that anything Bush did was solo, and not inclusive of nearly everybody in Congress, Senate, and the dem party.....then your post can't really be taken too seriously.

No more of the "they were tricked" or " they didn't mean it" lol. It's embarrassing to even read that from another person.

Imagine that, a proud progressive making fun of homeschool. Oh that's right, when it was the purview of the hippies, it was beautiful. Now that it threatens the progressive monopoly on teachers and education....it's awful and Stewwwpid !

America was involved in the creation of the UN as well. Doesn't keep it from being solely used against America and Israel anymore.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

This is you not knowing what you're talking about and not looking at the evidence against The Greens.

haha, must admit....you got me.

No, not "got me" as in "I see the evidence you claim to exist".

But Yes, you successfully MADE ME waste time reading the article, lol. No evidence whatsoever, just the author's opinions and musings. Same author who takes two full paragraphs making the H.L. rep sound shady without any evidence......cutely compares clay tiles in large numbers to a Picasso.......and complains that a fine wouldn't hurt the H.L. owners riches. Yeah, that author.

But you did what I know libs / progs live for....you MADE ME do something, lol.

Good on ya !

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

No evidence whatsoever

Really? What was that stuff that US Customs seized then?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Since you're pretending that anything Bush did was solo, and not inclusive of nearly everybody in Congress, Senate, and the dem party.....then your post can't really be taken too seriously.

are you pretending that there wasn't alot of people on ATS supporting torture (still are) and poo pooing the fact that it was against and international law, which by the way american had a great deal in creating to begin with and had very good reasons to?

Imagine that, a proud progressive making fun of homeschool. Oh that's right, when it was the purview of the hippies, it was beautiful. Now that it threatens the progressive monopoly on teachers and education....it's awful and Stewwwpid !

I guess who I am making fun of would depend on how you were educated.... but it's like some people came from a parallel universe of something with some of the crap they say...

America was involved in the creation of the UN as well. Doesn't keep it from being solely used against America and Israel anymore.

Really, can you prove that it is used just against the US and Isreal? How much you want to bet that I can find a few things that they did that benefitted the US?

As far as the International Court being biased against us, well considering all the crap that we've pulled over the past decade or so, you'd think that there'd be more cases against us in the International Courts, which there aren't that many!!

www.icj-cij.org...

www.icj-cij.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

No evidence whatsoever

Really? What was that stuff that US Customs seized then?

Evidence of the crimes. Not the tiles. This is not even an amusing game.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join