It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MOMENT [VIDEO]: Feb 5 - Massive Crane Collapse - Manhattan NYC 1 Dead 3 Injured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

A massive construction crane collapsed in lower Manhattan during a swirling snowstorm on Friday, killing one person and crushing a line of parked cars in the first accident of its kind in New York City since 2008.

Hundreds of emergency workers responded after the 172-metre-tall crane toppled at about 8:30 a.m. ET and flipped upside down, leaving the metal boom stretching along nearly two city blocks.

At the time, workers were lowering the crane in order to secure it as winds approached 40 kilometres per hour, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a press conference. It was not immediately known whether the winds played a role in the collapse. An investigation

MOMENTS: Massive Crane Collapse Falling Down In Tribeca Manhattan New York City 1 Dead 3 Injured!!!

Moments just as the crane was collapsing

This is one scary incident! I am glad it was not worse, but the sheer terror of such a machine falling down is one of the worst things to witness.

Glad that this didn't happen during a rush hour in better weather. I am always feeling weary about travelling around such construction zones...like get me out of here FAST!

News video of the witnesses of the event

edit on 5-2-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: added video

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

just as i thought to much boom not enough counter-weight. Will do that everytime.

Update: Showed it to my father he thinks the main-boom may have been lowered sending the crane off its center of gravity and over. What the case is it was off its center of gravity

I'd like to know it was extended over a street that wasn't cordoned off. That's a big no no with OSHA.
edit on 5-2-2016 by Starrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
what was the point of the audio. beep beep holy beep beeep beeep beep holy. beep beep..

bad stuff though

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starrunner

just as i thought to much boom not enough counter-weight. Will do that everytime.

It kind of looks like that, but anyway, should they not clear the area of the potential extent of a crane like that when they are bringing it down? and just consider it as possibly unstable, as a matter of course.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Wow, I can't imagine what was going through the minds of those people whose cars were literally being crushed while they were sitting in their cars. I hope there we're no children in those cars.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

There looks like there was a lot of things that should have been done that weren't. Ultimately however this all falls on the crane's operator as it is OSHA standard in the industry and he'll never run a crane again.

edit on 5-2-2016 by Starrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Starrunner

Wondering if ice/snow played a part too?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

You heard her Ladies and Gentlemen.
She thought it was a "Bomb" that's exactly how some "Conspiracy theories" start!

My heart goes out to the people killed hurt or injured...

edit on 5-2-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

The "No Craners" will be in shortly telling us it was just a hologram.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starrunner
There looks like there was a lot of things that should have been done that weren't. Ultimately however this all falls on the crane's operator as it is OSHA standard in the industry and he'll never run a crane again.

But what if the crane malfunctioned?

Surely these cranes must break just like anything else.

I was moving an Asrock missile with a loading crane on a Navy ship once that went haywire years ago.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: SLAYER69

The "No Craners" will be in shortly telling us it was just a hologram.

Well that's because you are already here pushing the OS

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

stop it

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
You heard her Ladies and Gentlemen.
She thought it was a "Bomb" that's exactly how some "Conspiracy theories" start!

'She thought' being the operative term though.
That's a bit of a cheap shot,

This is an explosion for instance on 9/11, post collapse of at least one tower.

first video sequence, a detonation, then explosion of material, more than likely explosives.
Sound of the crane collapse, a boom and reverberations, no detonation.
edit on 5-2-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

A massive construction crane collapsed in lower Manhattan during a swirling snowstorm on Friday, killing one person and crushing a line of parked cars in the first accident of its kind in New York City since 2008.

Hundreds of emergency workers responded after the 172-metre-tall crane toppled at about 8:30 a.m. ET and flipped upside down, leaving the metal boom stretching along nearly two city blocks.

At the time, workers were lowering the crane in order to secure it as winds approached 40 kilometres per hour, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a press conference. It was not immediately known whether the winds played a role in the collapse. An investigation

MOMENTS: Massive Crane Collapse Falling Down In Tribeca Manhattan New York City 1 Dead 3 Injured!!!

Moments just as the crane was collapsing

This is one scary incident! I am glad it was not worse, but the sheer terror of such a machine falling down is one of the worst things to witness.

Glad that this didn't happen during a rush hour in better weather. I am always feeling weary about travelling around such construction zones...like get me out of here FAST!

News video of the witnesses of the event

What's crazy is I work only a few blocks away from there, near City Hall. It happened I guess before work, and I found out about it upon arrival.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
they put it up with a hydraulic 190 ton Liebherr probably.....so they surely weren't trying to lower that much stick just because of snowload....I hope...it's a mobile tower....maybe it did self-boom

top topics

join