It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally quitting!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Hello!
I've decided, after many failed attempts, that I am once and for all quitting smoking. Big freakin' deal, right? Well it is and has been for me. While I've never publicly declared this intention, I have reached out for help on other sites and have been met with general disgust. Not exactly the support that I needed. However, ATS has been a relatively positive place, and by no means am I seeking out support. (It'll probably come though!) I think what purpose I am looking to achieve here is a few things:
1: Maybe I can inspire others to quit as well.
2: I'd like to, hopefully, chronicle the experiences I go through.
3: I suffer from pretty bad psoriasis, extremely dry eyes and dry mouth. Whether or not any of this is attributed to smoking, who knows, but I'll update those conditions as well.
4: By publicly stating my attempt at quitting, it feels real this time...I feel an accountability.

I hope it works!
Much Love

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Good for you, but quitting is a verb that can only get you to your destination.

You have done nothing yet.

The reason why I come off this way is to remind people who attempt to quit that there is no victory in declaring that you're quitting. You may easily join the millions of unsuccessful declarers.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Charlie3Dog

I quit 15 years ago there abouts. It was tough. I don't know how many tries I gave it prior to then.

Word of advise...............cough drops.

Good luck and keep fighting the good fight. Don't beat yourself up.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Way to go. It's hard for most people... I started out as a non-smoker (I guess everyone does...) until I was in my mid 20's, then got into it through a girlfriend I had at the time who smoked. After that I quit for a long time, but then I got a job at a factory working 10 hours on graveyard, so I started smoking outside on my breaks just to get outside, and that kinda went downhill, I started smoking at least five or six smokes a day. I finally quit cause my wife left a note in my cigarettes (that I was hiding in my car) as I was going to light up on my way to work, saying that she and my daughter loved me and wanted me to be healthy for at least another 30 or 40 years so we could all have a happy life together. So I broke broke all my cigarettes in half and threw them out the window and haven't bought a pack since.

I say that as if i'm a proud quitter that just went cold-turkey and didn't have any problems, but even now I sometimes will take a drag off a friend's smoke if i'm feeling stressed so i'm not really a "success story" but you just gotta take it one day at a time.

One advantage i've noticed is that the longer you go without cigarettes the more the smell and taste of cigarettes becomes unpleasant, so if you make it a certain amount of time it gets easier to abstain.

Good luck!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
You will feel so much better.You will be able to breathe again.Your face will clear up.You can smell and taste again.You will have more energy .Lower insurance rates.And you will notice the effect within a few days. For 40 years I smoked. The last 10 about 3 packs/day. I went into a vape shop one day , purchased a kit , and have not smoked since. That was about 3 years ago. Since , I have been slowly lowering the % of nicotine in the vape.
But , after 6 months to 1 year you will know that you have quit for good. You probably will come down with symptoms resembling bronchitis. Most people do after quitting.That is your lungs clearing back up.Then , if you are around someone smoking you will realize just how obnoxious it was. To me it smells like when a long time ago they used to burn off the landfill.
YOU CAN DO IT.It is not that difficult. Lay em down and never pick em back up.

ADDED ; Quit Quitting . Just do it.

edit on 1-2-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
BEST THING you'll ever do for yourself.
Good luck...never give up.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Oh trust me, I know this all too well! I appreciate the insight, but this time feels real. I'm not sure any previous attempt was serious. This time I actually want it!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Menthol, as in smokes, always had bad effects on my body...the only cough drops I can stand are Luden's. Think that'll help?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

Well, I hope you quit those quick hitters! And good on your wife and daughter! Thanks!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

edit on 1-2-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Exactly why I posted here! I know it won't be easy, but the highlighting of all of the upside is awesome! Don't know if I'm down with the vaping, but I'm glad it worked for you!
Quit quitting, FnA!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Haha!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Me too tomorrow morning! I have never attempted to before nor wanted to do, I dont drink etc so it has been my one vice, but Ive had enough. Fed up of the smell, social stigma, expense and cant think of anything positive. I have bought a vapour device earlier today and I am all set and ready to go. I am going to decorate and put money saved away.

Good luck!a reply to: Charlie3Dog

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

Awesome, best of luck!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Yep, I did Luden's and halls. It worked for me. Don't go where people are smoking. I'm not saying ever. Wait 6 months to a year till the craving is gone. Once again.......best of luck.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I quit smoking and started vaping menthol a year ago, it was so easy that i wish that the vaping technology was invented much earlier, both my health and wallet are much better now.
worse thing about it is that you can actually smell smokers now, and i hate to think that once it was me.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

I'll try the Luden's, and yea, I've heard being around the scent is really tough. Thankfully I think it will be fairly easy to avoid those situations!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Curious69

I actually think the whole not being around other smokers thing isn't a problem for me. However, I'll avoid that at all costs. Not a big fan of vaping, but good thing it worked for you!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
You are going to want to smoke. It'll just come up all of a sudden. What's your plan for when the urge strikes? Good will and Good luck! You can do it.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charlie3Dog
a reply to: Curious69

I actually think the whole not being around other smokers thing isn't a problem for me. However, I'll avoid that at all costs. Not a big fan of vaping, but good thing it worked for you!

Sure if you can quit without any substitute thats the ideal solution, in my case it made it possible to quit tobacco and cannabis from day one, im pretty sure that quitting vaping will be a breeze compared to going cold turkey on tobacco.
Now its more a matter of the hand to mouth reflex learned from a long time of smoking i guess any kind of stick would do the trick, but chewing on a pencil in public would make me feel arkward

But i wish you luck and succes quitting your way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join