It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body, Soul, Spirit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Every1 knows that we are born with a body and soul. The spirit entity is not a part of it imo. Though it is often misunderstood that soul and spirit are joined. In the Bible some conflicting views are there. Now imo a bdd or evil spirit can attach itself to the soul, the same is not true for The Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit can indwell in the human body only on its own, meaning the soul has to be removed b4 the Holy Spirit can enter. I consider his to be a rather radical truth and wonder what's every1s take on this.
Praise the Lord

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
Every1 knows that we are born with a body and soul. The spirit entity is not a part of it imo. Though it is often misunderstood that soul and spirit are joined. In the Bible some conflicting views are there. Now imo a bdd or evil spirit can attach itself to the soul, the same is not true for The Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit can indwell in the human body only on its own, meaning the soul has to be removed b4 the Holy Spirit can enter. I consider his to be a rather radical truth and wonder what's every1s take on this.
Praise the Lord

I am not sure I understand fully what you are saying, but I will make an attempt.
I think the problem that you might be having, is in the understanding that Demonic Possession is a Spirit attaching itself to the soul.
I do not think this is the case. Demonic Possession is Possession of the Body. (I.E. it has control of the Body, not the Soul.)
Possession and Control are different than the Holy Spirit Indwelling a person.
Being present in a person is not the same as being in Control of a person.
Demonic Possession is an act of Control of ones Body, by another intelligence.
Indwelling someone is an description of residency.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Soul = Body (flesh) + Spirit (controls the body)

If a daemon takes control of the body then scientifically speaking, its a split personality. Religiously speaking, its possession.

Apparently the jinn pass through multiple bodies everyday and the initial body owner (host spirit) does not even notice any difference.
edit on 31-1-2016 by Rapha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

1.: Congratulations this is one of the worst OPs I ever read. What are you lazy or stupid?
2.: "Everyone knows that" and then starting to assume something purely religious is not going to work for any discussion.
3.: How did you come up with this bs?

You don't really want to discuss do you? Like your other physics threads, you are so above everyone else you just wanted to let us know...

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

This is kind of way out there lol, but I'll bite. For the sake of discussion, assuming that demonic infiltration of the body is possible, would only be with the consent of the host (like a singer trying to get rich and famous or something, or a murderer trying to avoid capture)
I disagree that the soul would have to be removed; but rather it would likely need to be cleansed or healed.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The "soul", in the sense used in the Bible, is an essential part of being human.
The word PSYCHE covers our mind, our consciousness, everything involved in running the body.

In the early days of the church, a man called Apollinarius came up with the idea that Jesus had no human soul, because the "LOGOS" took its place. But one of the councils declared against this theory. The objection was that it would make him less than fully human.

If the Word can "become flesh" In Christ and the Holy Spirit can dwell in him, without displacing the soul, then the Holy Spirit can dwell in us without displacing the soul.
We remain human.

edit on 31-1-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Simple:

Body + Spirit/Breath = Soul/Living Person.

Soul - Spirit/Breath = (dead) Body.

Just to be clear: you do not have a soul - you ARE a soul.

edit on 31-1-2016 by Lazarus Short because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2016 by Lazarus Short because: clarIFiciation

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short
I think it depends whether we're using "soul" to translate the Hebrew NEPHESH or the Greek PSYCHE.
Your answer is more about the first, mine about the second.

edit on 31-1-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I try to be more Hebrew than Greek.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short
Either is probably less confusing than English usage.
The problem is the non-Biblical concept of the "detachable" soul, which seems to have emerged in the Middle Ages, and still bedevills discussions like this one.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The body is the physical. The soul is what makes us who WE are; makes us individuals and gives us personality. It is the intangible, IMO.

The Holy Spirit, the demonic ... those are outside influences and entities. We can invite or seek relationships with them or be opened unconsciously to their influence through our actions. They forge connections which we can then maintain or break. In the case of possession (which I believe to be rare), the soul is pushed aside or subverted to the will of the possessing entity which is still an external force in origin.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I see the Spirit as the animating force, the soul is what perceives the animation, and the body is that which is animated.

We are all 3, body, soul, and Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the animating force within all living things, no one is exempt from having the Holy Spirit. It is the soul that can be corrupted, not the Holy Spirit, the animating force (God) is incorruptible.
edit on 1/31/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
lol stupidest post ive come across
a reply to: Peeple

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
Simple:

Body + Spirit/Breath = Soul/Living Person.

Soul - Spirit/Breath = (dead) Body.

Just to be clear: you do not have a soul - you ARE a soul.

Thanks for being succinct Laz.The mystic superstition of what these words mean are the core of much confusion(babylon).The scriptures context definition of soul is a living being(including animals).Spirit is the most confused it simply means life.
There are no such thing as super natural "spiritual" evil beings as demons(diabolos).A diabolo is a channel that is traversed.The belief of demonic beings is in(traversed) peoples mind(channel) that believe in them.The word diabolos was used to describe the condition of a persons mind(their heavens).

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
To elaborate on what Spirit is, we know from the Revelation that there are seven Spirits of God. Isaiah 11:1 lists them:

1. The Spirit of Life (from Genesis)

2. The Spirit of wisdom

3. The Spirit of understanding

4, The Spirit of counsel

5. The Spirit of might

6. The Spirit of knowledge

7. The Spirit of the fear of God

All are given #1. We have varying small amounts of the other six, but when glorified, we get all seven IN FULL MEASURE!

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Every1 knows that we are born with a body and soul. The spirit entity is not a part of it imo. Though it is often misunderstood that soul and spirit are joined. In the Bible some conflicting views are there. Now imo a bdd or evil spirit can attach itself to the soul, the same is not true for The Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit can indwell in the human body only on its own, meaning the soul has to be removed b4 the Holy Spirit can enter. I consider his to be a rather radical truth and wonder what's every1s take on this. Praise t

Very interesting indeed. I guess it all depends upon what you are taught and believe.
My understanding is that both God and Man have two distinct portions. God is total invisibility spirit with and image called His Word. Man has a portion of the spirit with a terrestrial image. When man's image dies he is then covered with a celestial image if he is worthy. He then has a portion of the same spirit with a celestial body just as the Creator has spirit with a celestial image. So my understanding is that the soul is the body and not that the body has a soul. According to the Genesis account the soul will perish but the spirit of life will live after the soul dies.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

As you can see man was created a lifeless soul and as the spirit of life was given he then became a living soul. So in lite of the Genesis account the soul is the body and the body is the soul.

The mind is some what different. There is a study underway now that shows some evidence that the mind is detached from the terrestrial brain or soul. It does not perish with the soul but is parcel with the spirit. The soul dies and the spirit (mind) is judged by the actions that it commanded the soul to act upon. Once the soul dies it remains with the terrestrial elements forever. The spirit (mind) returns to its elements which are celestial and are believed to be eternal. My opinions of course.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
A person who has had a born again experience thru His mighty grace knows the truth and it is different from what you suggest
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Interesting thoughts.
a reply to: Seede

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I disagree. The soul is temporary, IMO, and dissolves with any given body. The spirit on the other hand is eternal, going through life after life until ultimate enlightenment; even then, returning to life to help others reach the goal.

There is a physical body (shared by rocks, plants, animals and humans); an etheric body (shared by plants, animals and humans, an astral body (shared by animals and humans) then an EGO body (shared by humans and higher beings).

The spirit resides in all ...

Just my belief....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Everything I ve learned tells me spirit = soul

top topics

<<   2 >>

join