It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish Parliament Approves Bill to Confiscate Asylum Seekers Valuables

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
News that the result of the Danish Parliament's vote on the bill to allow them to confiscate assets from Asylum Seekers has been announced and the bill has been approved.

Under the new law, refugees entering the country will only be allowed to keep possessions up to a value of about 10,000 kroner (1,340 euros; £1,000) - a figure raised from 3,000 kroner following objections.
Items of sentimental value, such as wedding rings, will be exempt.
www.bbc.co.uk...

While I can see where they're coming from in that this would bring Asylum Seekers into line with unemployed Danish people it will be interesting to see how the police implement the new law , how valuations will be put on peoples personal possessions and how many Asylum Seekers actually have anything worth taking , I would imagine much of their available assets would have been sold to pay the smugglers.

Details are light at the moment but I expect more specifics in the coming hours

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Well anyone half a brain cell (which excludes Danish MP's) can see what will happen, one or more of :

1. People objecting to be searched and having their valuables confiscated resulting in arguments at best but more likely violence as people to try to keep hold of valued possessions .
2. Some people will be arrested and charged and may end up in prison at a cost that makes a mockery of the amount of money they hope to "recuperate".
3. Children will be searched, now please don't any danes give me that wan't happen nonsense, reality check there will be right leaning anti immigrant police who will not give a rats arse.
4. A massive distrust will build up between the asylum seekers and the authorities resulting in barricades, stand off's and we are back to number 2.

watch this space......

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Apparently this was done so that refugees are treated same as citizens of Denmark. Apparently in Denmark if you are a National and lose your job you cant claim welfare until you have sold off any assets you own. So a National would be expected to sell house, car etc before being able to claim welfare. So seems fair to me. There seems to always be a presumption that just because someone is fleeing persecution or war means they are also poor. A lot have paid thousands to traffickers to get here so I would presume they therefore have assets or at least had assets!a reply to: yorkshirelad

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well if asylum seekers in Denmark receive the same welfare benefits as Danish citizens it can only be correct that the same eligibility rules are applied to all equally.
Wow, bleeding hearts seem to be whining about equality now ffs.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
We must also remember that the only reason this has been implemented is that it is A FACT that many refugees has been coming to their country of choice with a lot of money.

Switzerland, Holland and two areas in Germany (Bayern and Baden-Württemberg) do the same and it has been the case for a number of years in Switzerland and Holland.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
Well anyone half a brain cell (which excludes Danish MP's) can see what will happen, one or more of :

1. People objecting to be searched and having their valuables confiscated resulting in arguments at best but more likely violence as people to try to keep hold of valued possessions .
2. Some people will be arrested and charged and may end up in prison at a cost that makes a mockery of the amount of money they hope to "recuperate".
3. Children will be searched, now please don't any danes give me that wan't happen nonsense, reality check there will be right leaning anti immigrant police who will not give a rats arse.
4. A massive distrust will build up between the asylum seekers and the authorities resulting in barricades, stand off's and we are back to number 2.

watch this space......

Please explain why it is bad to search children.
If the law is such that the refugees have to hand over valuables above a certain limit, how is it wrong to make sure that the parents don't hide the valuables with the child?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: HolgerTheDane2
UK police search children when necessary, I don't see the problem myself.
The important issue is equality of legislation for citizens and asylum seekers, if that's the case then to the bleeding hearts I say quit yet lame bitchin...or is equality a bad thing as well now?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
They all want sending back !refused entry and billed for the flights !
It's going too far now !

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
They are going to outfit and supply themselves with the welfare of the State anyways so they don't need their old crap.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
They do have similar rules for people who ask for social benefits in both Sweden and Denmark. Strange that people who are refugees should not pay if they can like the citizens in the countries.

You have to sell you car, sell your apartment/move into smaller apartment and luxury items to get benefits if you do not have a good reason for needing the car or that size apartment (kids for instance).

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Well if asylum seekers in Denmark receive the same welfare benefits as Danish citizens it can only be correct that the same eligibility rules are applied to all equally.

Only, its NOT the same rules!

There is a big difference, in being able to spend your money providing for yourself if you want welfare, and having TAKEN all your money and then being forced to accept welfare (cause now you have no money) wouldnt you say??

I agree that if they are rich, they need to pay for themself before getting welfare, like everybody else. But what we are doing, is confiscating their riches, and that wouldnt happen to any ordinary dane

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

There is a big difference, in being able to spend your money providing for yourself if you want welfare, and having TAKEN all your money and then being forced to accept welfare (cause now you have no money) wouldnt you say??

I agree that if they are rich, they need to pay for themself before getting welfare, like everybody else. But what we are doing, is confiscating their riches, and that wouldnt happen to any ordinary dane

But they forcing their own citizens to sell of their riches before they are allowed to get welfare. It is not like the person will have the money confiscated at the border and then forced to seek asylum. It is when they seek asylum and cost money that they will not allowed to keep their assets since the welfare cost money.

For some reason people have this weird notion that this welfare is free and not paid by the citizens in the country. The refugees as a group got greedy and all wanted the most money in the northern countries and now all these countries systems cannot handle the cost due to over migration. I think we are seeing the race to the bottom where welfare in Denmark and Sweden will be lowered since people are feed up paying high taxes to subsidize an insane level of immigration. Make the welfare as bad as in other countries and you do not see the migration from south Europe to north Europe since there is nothing to gain to going north.
edit on 26-1-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

But they forcing their own citizens to sell of their riches before they are allowed to get welfare. It is not like the person will have the money confiscated at the border and then forced to seek asylum. It is when they seek asylum and cost money that they will not allowed to keep their assets since the welfare cost money.

For some reason people have this weird notion that this welfare is free and not paid by the citizens in the country. The refugees as a group got greedy and all wanted the most money in the northern countries and now all these countries systems cannot handle the cost due to over migration. I think we are seeing the race to the bottom where welfare in Denmark and Sweden will be lowered since people are feed up paying high taxes to subsidize an insane level of immigration. Make the welfare as bad as in other countries and you do not see the migration from south Europe to north Europe since there is nothing to gain to going north.

Why stop there? Why not make it even worse, then we can migrate south, and enjoy the benefits of there countries

Instead of destroying our own house, to avoid new members of the household, wouldnt it be better help them build a better house for themself??

And there is still a big difference in forcing someone to spend there own money first, and just taking there money! Why not make them pay for themself as long as they can afford it, and Then give them welfare??

Anyways, thats NOT where our money is going, but thats an entirely different debate - maybe the people should ask for a receipt that explains what there money is spend on, when they pay taxes??
edit on 26 1 2016 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

Oh almost forgot, IMO, it would only be logic to assume, that the those that got gready, are those that got the money, right??

top topics

join