It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What-They-Havent-Told-You-about-Climate-Change

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Considering the source this IMO is a well balanced discussion (Video presentation) on climate change.. No hype just the facts of what we believe we know about Earth's climate over the last 400,000 years. I personally did not know that as recently as 30 million years ago the polar ice caps had totally melted. Earth's orbit and many things are discussed in the short video and the last 2000 years have shown the roman warm period which was warmer than today with two cold ages to follow and the present warming period.. Anyway enjoy.

prageruniversity.com...
edit on 26-1-2016 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

So what's in this that no one told "us" before? I can't watch a video at the moment.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Although I agree with most of the videos points, I am not impressed with the videos creator.
Every factoid he claims makes me want to check the source of the claim.
What's that old expression? Trust but verify.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I like the way they put a guy on there like he is talking yet there does not appear that he is actually saying anything of what is being narrated. Maybe the guy is talking about a fishing trip, who knows.

I have looked at the evidence presented and the guy talking is twisting the evidence all around, cherrypicking some stuff to show what he wants to. Both sides of the climate change debate do this.

The fact is we have to start taking better care of this world, we have to moderate our impact on the environment better. No other animal in history has damaged our environment as bad as humans. We are being stupid and ignorant and this needs to change. We have the ability to destroy all present life on this planet and it appears we might succeed. Sure, the earth will rebound and new life will be created but there will be no humans or dogs or cats on it.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
How dare you post something that goes against modern AGW beliefs. You knew before you posted that 2015 was the "warmest" year in history.
He says dripping with sarcasm and venom...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I found my eyebrows flying upwards a lot. For one thing he doesn't mention that the continents were in different places 30 million years ago, which means different currents. The Antarctic Circumpolar Current for one, which resulted in glaciation accelerating on the continent.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Video is very misleading and fails to understand some basic science.

Not entirely surprising given it's provided by Prager University.

A 'free university' founded by Dennis Prager:

en.wikipedia.org...

Prager also started a website called "Prager University", that offers five-minute videos on various subjects such as the Ten Commandments, minimum wage, the Middle East Crisis, Global Warming and happiness with a conservative perspective. Video contributors are varied and include columnists George Will and Bret Stephens, British historians Paul Johnson and Andrew Roberts, American Enterprise Institute president Arthur Brooks, former Prime Minister of Spain Jose Maria Aznar, several university professors, and Prager himself. According to Prager, he created the site to challenge the "unhealthy effect intellectually and morally" of the American higher education system

So the guy has, one could say, an agenda.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We humans do not have the ability to destroy all life on this planet. Microbes are life. Life always finds a way.

We certainly need to treat the Earth as the life keeper she is. Respect her and helping to keep her healthy helps us as well. A win-win.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Video is very misleading and fails to understand some basic science.

Not entirely surprising given it's provided by Prager University.

A 'free university' founded by Dennis Prager:

en.wikipedia.org...

Prager also started a website called "Prager University", that offers five-minute videos on various subjects such as the Ten Commandments, minimum wage, the Middle East Crisis, Global Warming and happiness with a conservative perspective. Video contributors are varied and include columnists George Will and Bret Stephens, British historians Paul Johnson and Andrew Roberts, American Enterprise Institute president Arthur Brooks, former Prime Minister of Spain Jose Maria Aznar, several university professors, and Prager himself. According to Prager, he created the site to challenge the "unhealthy effect intellectually and morally" of the American higher education system

So the guy has, one could say, an agenda.

Make sure you don't refute anything he says and attack his character.

Then nobody will know you couldn't refute what he said, for example " fails to understand some basic science ".

Then fail to give even one example of how, and spend the next 9/10s of your post attacking the man not his claims....

I for one think you are very credible now!!!

Lol

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Did he mention how many drastic climate changes human civilization lived and survived through? I always find it interesting how its a popular denailist argument to talk about how the climate has changed in the past, but then they fail to mention that human civilization didn't exist back then so there is no way to know how those climate changes would have effected human civilization and society.

Plus climate changing in the past due to natural causes doesn't mean that humans cannot change it in the present. That is a fallacy that really needs to die.
edit on 26-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
For one thing weather monitoring stations used to be out in the open yard now they seem to be on roofs. When I was in the Coast Guard we had one outside we had to check each hour. Look at the weather service and see where the reporting stations are most are schools. That means they are on the roof or near a building. The weather service didn't use to allow that.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

Make sure you don't refute anything he says and attack his character.

Not his character, his credibility. I think it's hilarious how they found a man with the same name as a famous astronomer to front the video. No, that was not Sir Patrick Moore from the BBC's "Sky At Night."

Climate change is certainly affected by a large number of factors astronomical, geological and even biological. That does not mean that carbon dioxide produced by burning fuel does not contribute. We can't change the Earth's orbit or adjust the amount of volcanism. But never mind. Why address the issue now with some simple, inexpensive steps when we can wait until New York and New Orleans flood again and have the taxpayers foot the bill for the repairs?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

LOL Patrick Moore. Again.

This Patrick Moore:

Pesticide Lobbyist Refuses To Drink Glyphosate After Claiming It’s Safe To Drink

Watching climate skeptics get suckered by the same phony shills spouting the same nonsense over and over again is...wow, just wow.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Did he mention how many drastic climate changes human civilization lived and survived through? I always find it interesting how its a popular denailist argument to talk about how the climate has changed in the past, but then they fail to mention that human civilization didn't exist back then so there is no way to know how those climate changes would have effected human civilization and society.

Plus climate changing in the past due to natural causes doesn't mean that humans cannot change it in the present. That is a fallacy that really needs to die.

You mean like the fallacy that climate should be static because you think it should?

It has always changed, it is changing again, so what.

We are the most adaptable species on the planet.

We will be just fine.

The sky isn't falling.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

You mean like the fallacy that climate should be static because you think it should?

Not aware of that fallacy. Who says that?

We will be just fine.

The sky isn't falling.

"Adapting" covers quite a few situations. Everything from changing policy to the collapse of civilization. I'm not sure I want to experience the full range of possibilities of "adapting" when we can alter our course of actions to lessen the impact we are having on the climate.

You do know that even NOW we can attribute various hotspots and localized wars as a direct result of the changing climate right? As the climate changes more and more drastically, expect those wars and hotspots to intensify and multiply. Heck, climate change could potentially trigger WWIII. Land is a precious resource and when it starts to disappear, those people need somewhere to go.
edit on 26-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Not aware of that fallacy. Who says that?

We will be just fine.

The sky isn't falling.

"Adapting" covers quite a few situations. Everything from changing policy to the collapse of civilization. I'm not sure I want to experience the full range of possibilities of "adapting" when we can alter our course of actions to lessen the impact we are having on the climate.

You do know that even NOW we can attribute various hotspots and localized wars as a direct result of the changing climate right? As the climate changes more and more drastically, expect those wars and hotspots to intensify and multiply. Heck, climate change could potentially trigger WWIII. Land is a precious resource and when it starts to disappear, those people need somewhere to go.

War and death are now always have been and always will be part of man's existence.

Nothing in the universe is meant to be static.

Change is the norm.

You are denying reality if you believe anything else.

None of us have to like it, but it is a fact.

Our civilization will fall, millions will starve and die of disease, and war.

These things will happen today tomorrow next year a decade from now..... What does it even matter outside of your personal greedy want to live a comfortable life?

All the things you seem to fear climate change might bring are already reality for the majority of humanity on this planet.

Just consider yourself lucky you had it so good for so long.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

What does it even matter outside of your personal greedy want to live a comfortable life?

I assume you are a self denying hermit with an internet connection.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

War and death are now always have been and always will be part of man's existence.

Nothing in the universe is meant to be static.

Change is the norm.

You are denying reality if you believe anything else.

Where did I say otherwise?

None of us have to like it, but it is a fact.

Our civilization will fall, millions will starve and die of disease, and war.

These things will happen today tomorrow next year a decade from now..... What does it even matter outside of your personal greedy want to live a comfortable life?

All the things you seem to fear climate change might bring are already reality for the majority of humanity on this planet.

Just consider yourself lucky you had it so good for so long.

No #, but that doesn't mean we should be willingly complicit with speeding up the inevitable. Your reasoning is thus, "we'll all die sometime so you might as well commit suicide now."

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I suppose my question is about the three known periods of hot and cold over the last 2000 years. Continents were more or less in the same position plus or minus a foot or two yet during Roman times it was hotter. Dark ages (much war back during that time period as people fled to greener pastures; Vikings left Greenland ...to darn cold)) and then there was a warming period and another cold period about 300 years ago.. Natural oscillations in temperature due to Earth's orbit and planetary axis tilt has got to play a role in such things IMO. I agree many of the earth bound temp sensors are in cities where there is a heat sink but hopefully the slide rule boys and girls factor that in (doubt they do) however that would not have any bearing on the supposedly newer better and more accurate satellite data.

The video is just one more thought process on what is going on with earth's climate and as I said, the cycles of cold and hot he brought up during the video and last 2000 years was interesting to me.. Can Anyone show where he was wrong ?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well if there is going to be a drastic climate shift, I'm sure the best way for humanity to survive it is for us to stop using energy and go back to living at a near subsistence level. I'm sure that will ensure there is no extinction event.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join