It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary & Bernie VS. A Republican Congress & 2/3 Majority Governorships!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

I honestly don't know the numbers required for overrides, plus it's a Bill by Bill basis isn't it?

That is government 101. 2/3rds vote is required by both houses.

And why would we even want the gridlock from constant Veto overrides in the first place? What a mess that would be.

That is how a congress get past a presidential veto. The Constitution may be incontinent for some, but that is how it works.

I know , lol. What I meant was I don't know the CURRENT numbers for an override or what they will be after Congressional seats change in 2016. And it is also a Bill to Bill action.

edit on 22-1-2016 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It's tough playing checkers when your opponent doesn't move their back row.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

Does that mean the plan is, 'Give it up Dem's, just vote GOP?'

Well just think of the common dream of a single party system !!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Better nothing passed than hitting myself. Not a masochist. Not going to keep voting to let someone bend me over.

It doesn't matter if the president can pass everything if everything they pass is aimed at screwing me and for the best interest of those who want to take their turn at me as well.

Sick of the gang bang. Let's take our nation back.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Better nothing passed than hitting myself. Not a masochist. Not going to keep voting to let someone bend me over.

It doesn't matter if the president can pass everything if everything they pass is aimed at screwing me and for the best interest of those who want to take their turn at me as well.

And it sounds like you think that Bernie Sanders is the answer to all this. Correct?
edit on 22-1-2016 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Perhaps you need to clarify further. It's 2/3rds no matter what. The bill in question is irrelevant.

It's in the constitution.

If the Republicans want to get past a president that will not comply with their wishes, they need to take 2/3rds of both houses or be able to persuade others on the opposite side of the aisle.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Perhaps you need to clarify further. It's 2/3rds no matter what. The bill in question is irrelevant.

If the Republicans want to get past a president that will not comply with their wishes, they need to take 2/3rds of both houses or be able to persuade others on the opposite side of the aisle.

Dude, I already stated I know this. Politics 101...like you said.

I'm talking about the CHOICE to use the TWO THIRDS majority is on BILL by BILL basis. What about that don't you get?

link   
Whats funny here is The threat of Impeachment IF hillary gets elected IF Obama dont make i t so Hillary will be able to be prosecuted.

link   

I think you're getting at what some in the GOP feel about Cruz. I heard something the other day along the lines of 'a vote for Cruz is a vote for a government shutdown.' That's not verbatim but that's the gist.

I support Sanders (big surprise), he's been in congress long enough and has maintained his ideals long enough that he'll be able to work with a GOP majority. That's what I believe anyway.

My question to you is, do you think we'll continue to see the obstinance we've seen the last few years? You had that bit from Mitch McConnel, 'Our goal is to make Obama a one term president.' You had the rise of the TEA Party and 2010 GOP takeover...mind you, Obama had already lowered taxes at this point, that didn't matter. I feel like the 2010 election was specifically in opposition to the loss from 2008. The GOP and their voters were so wrapped up in their loss that it became a rallying cry. The GOP swept crazy high victories that year. Which was a disaster for the democrats because that was also a census year, which meant that every state legislator that won would also be drawing districts for the next decade.

Do I like the what has happened? No. I think Paul Ryan is doing an exponentially better job than Boehner, we've got a year long budget of sorts and bills are getting passed. I don't like the substance of them, but things are getting done.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Whats funny here is The threat of Impeachment IF hillary gets elected IF Obama dont make i t so Hillary will be able to be prosecuted.

I honestly think this is a race between Trump, Cruz, and Bernie. I think Hillary is pretty much done.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

If Bernie wins it shows our vote actually does count, and we the people actually can defeat super-Pacs.

As long as the candidate works for corporate bribe money, they don't work for we the people.

Taking the power back from citizens united is the most important thing we can do.

One we get washington working for we the people again, then maybe we can finally start believing they have our interests at heart again.

I don't care what some super-Pac politician says they'll do, since I know the second they get that money they're feeding me BS to serve their masters holding their leash.

Also Bernie isn't the answer to all of this, but he's one hell of a strong start. The first domino is an important one.
edit on 1/22/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain

So what the EFF are we talking about? Change? Nope. Improvement? Nope. A better Union? Nope.

Sounds like a good way to keep Gov. from screwing up anything else for a while. We should have locked down Gov. like that a long time ago.

Go the other way and vote Rep. and you just open the flood gates and let the crazies run the asylum.

I'd rather have a stalemate Gov. than a crazy one that has the power to do whatever it imagines.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Ummm...You're still talking about politics now, right?
EDIT: nevermind.
edit on 22-1-2016 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

link   

I'm talking about the CHOICE to use the TWO THIRDS majority is on BILL by BILL basis. What about that don't you get?

It is not a choice. If a bill is passed by a simple majority and signed by the president, it is passed. End of story. If it is passed by simple majority in congress, yet vetoed by the president, it has to be passed again by a 2/3rds vote to override a veto.

That is how the process works.

link   

originally posted by: links234

I think you're getting at what some in the GOP feel about Cruz. I heard something the other day along the lines of 'a vote for Cruz is a vote for a government shutdown.' That's not verbatim but that's the gist.

I support Sanders (big surprise), he's been in congress long enough and has maintained his ideals long enough that he'll be able to work with a GOP majority. That's what I believe anyway.

My question to you is, do you think we'll continue to see the obstinance we've seen the last few years? You had that bit from Mitch McConnel, 'Our goal is to make Obama a one term president.' You had the rise of the TEA Party and 2010 GOP takeover...mind you, Obama had already lowered taxes at this point, that didn't matter. I feel like the 2010 election was specifically in opposition to the loss from 2008. The GOP and their voters were so wrapped up in their loss that it became a rallying cry. The GOP swept crazy high victories that year. Which was a disaster for the democrats because that was also a census year, which meant that every state legislator that won would also be drawing districts for the next decade.

Do I like the what has happened? No. I think Paul Ryan is doing an exponentially better job than Boehner, we've got a year long budget of sorts and bills are getting passed. I don't like the substance of them, but things are getting done.

What's funny is about all the talk of stagnation in Government and Republicans 'unwillingness' to work with the DNC.

The current Republicans save Boehner who's out, gave Obama almost everything he wanted. That's why there was and IS a current revolt in the GOP. Boehner, McConnel, Ryan and others 'opposed' Obama with words, but gave him a LOT come vote time.

So this whole "Obstruction" thing is odd as this current GOP Congress agreed with Dem Bills in near record order. The only real 'obstruction was Obamacare repeal votes and Confirmation hearings of judges and other nominees.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

It is not a choice. If a bill is passed by a simple majority and signed by the president, it is passed. End of story. If it is passed by simple majority in congress, yet vetoed by the president, it has to be passed again by a 2/3rds vote to override a veto.

What is it with you? I've clearly explained what I meant and you keep obsessing on repeating the PROCESS to me.

Have you not even read what I typed?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Anyway, Pizza is here. Gotta run. Debate amongst yourselves....

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
A few supreme court seats would probably open up in the next presidential term.

We for sure do not need another Scalia in the supreme court, also a Democrat president ensures that no Republican bills like the ones aimed to defund planned parenthood pass.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

What is it with you? I've clearly explained what I meant and you keep obsessing on repeating the PROCESS to me.

Have you not even read what I typed?

Your explanation does not coincide with the constitutional process. There is no "bill-by-bill" process that includes "choices".

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

That's because we're gonna need to change Congress too. Congress is both, the power & the problem.

Bernie has repeatedly stated that no single person can take our government back from the corporate special interests who currently regulate our establishment politicians, it's gonna take a revolution.

It's going to take CHANGE on a large scale. From repealing Citizen's United to ending gerrymandering of congressional districts and that means that people are gonna have to remain involved & committed beyond the presidential election.

Surely you didn't think that taking our government back would be easy or that it could be accomplished in one election?

I guarantee you this, if "we the people" expect to ever get our government back, we should know that we're gonna have to fight for it tooth & nail, every step of the way, because TPTB are not going to relinquish their control voluntarily. That's for damn sure!

Voting Bernie into office is much more than a "shot across their bow," it's a shot right through their wheelhouse and they'll be forced to realize that a CHANGE of course is inevitable because it's no longer "business as usual."

Just the same, turning our government around is like turning a ship, it doesn't happen in an instant and the only other option I see is to accept more if the same.

So I'll be voting for Bernie, despite your dire predictions.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join