It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unraveling the Olmec Mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Today I thought I'd pop in and post a couple of interesting videos, I'm laying the ground work for a future in-depth brain twisting thread in the not too distant future, but for now I present these.

The first one goes into detail about the difference of between the colossal stones heads, where and how they were found. Gives a brief history of who these people were.

*Actually, how little we really know.

The second one is a bit more fringe but also talks about what we know, For instance, that the "Mayan" writing, calendar, and math are either a direct result of or borrowed heavily from the preceding and much older "Olmec" They videos are not short. So, Hopefully you'll have the time to set aside and enjoy learning a bit more about an ancient people who left their mark and mystery for us to solve...

Colossal Olmecs

Published on Dec 23, 2009 City College of San Francisco's Latin American Studies Department, Concert & Lecture Series, and The Consulate of Mexico present Colossal Olmecs. The speaker is Dr. Sara Ladron, Director of the Museum of Anthropology; Xalapa, Vera Cruz, Mexico.

Before The Maya: The Olmecs, Quetzalcoatl and the Megalithic Origins of Mesoamerica

Published on Jul 5, 2015
Filmed at the Megalithomania Conference in Glastonbury on 9th May 2010, Hugh has travelled around Mexico, Guatemala, Hondurus and Belize in search of the pre-Mayan megalithic civilization that flourished as far back as 7000BC. Mexico is famous for its Mayan and Aztec architecture but Hugh has discovered evidence of much earlier cultures, that were of "megalithic" origin and were the inspiration behind the Mayan emergence. The Mayans have been credited with introducing a sophisticated calendar, agricultural practices and incredible stonework, but it is now thought that the 'Olmec' invented the Long Count calendar that ended in 2012 and taught the Maya much of what they knew, and were experts in the use of Toad '___', psychedelic mushrooms and altered states, suggesting they received their knowledge from the shamanic realm and shared it with other cultures. Hugh also explores the legend of Quetzalcoatl, a bearded god (who is carved in stone at several Olmec sites) and gives an overview of the incredible Olmec civilization, who were thought to be African in origin and were part of a prehistoric cosmopolitan culture that travelled the world.

Hugh Newman is an earth mysteries and esoteric science researcher. He organises the Megalithomania Conferences. His most recent book, 'Earth Grids - The Secret Patterns of Gaia's Sacred Sites', has been published by Wooden Books. He has also appeared on Ancient Aliens (History) and Search for the Lost Giants (History).

edit on 22-1-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Brien Foerster, the guy from Ancient Aliens TV show and general "lost civilisations" idiot
no, I'll pass thanks

edit on 22-1-2016 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Red this a while ago...dont know what you stance on Sitchin is...let me know what you think.

Sitchin on Olmecs

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I thought the basis of Mayan Math and calendar came from hundreds of years using a long pole with a clay or stone disk with a pin hole in it, just big enough to see the light of a star. They would make these poles and place them in a series to track the movements of celestial bodies and map their location in the universe. They then added value to the system they came up with which base and represents 360 cycles etc 18x 64^2 I think is the actual base.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

First 10 minutes and I've already learned so much about Quetzalcoatl being older than the Maya, and the stories of how the "tall white man" taught them about agriculture, communication between tribes, megalithic construction...

WOW this is awesome stuff

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

First 10 minutes and I've already learned so much about Quetzalcoatl being older than the Maya, and the stories of how the "tall white man" taught them about agriculture, communication between tribes, megalithic construction...

Oh oh, tall white man teaching African resembling men depicted in stonework....don't tell BLM, it will all be disregarded as racist and will oppose any further study.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

Red this a while ago...dont know what you stance on Sitchin is...let me know what you think.

Sitchin on Olmecs

Sitchin relies on a complete ignorance of the cultures he discusses in his readership,

like here where he is claiming

On my first visit there, I could hardly believe my eyes: The first (earliest) civilization, that of the Olmecs, was shown as begun circa 3000 B.C.!

When its clear from the wording on the left that the period he is pointing at is marked "Preclásico Temprano", which in English is "Early Preclassic era", Which is about 1000 years before the Olmec appeared
So he's either incompetent or lying...

Details of this period can be found here
en.wikipedia.org...
note

Around 1500 BCE, the cultures of the West entered a period of decline, accompanied by an assimilation into the other peoples with whom they had maintained connections. As a result, the Tlatilco culture emerged in the Valley of Mexico, and the Olmec culture in the Gulf.

edit on 22-1-2016 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

And wrong.

The "tall white man" is actually repurposed tales from after the arrival of the Spanish. And Quetzalcoatl only dates to 100 BC or thereabouts: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

actually...it appears to me that he's point to a period below that. Zoom in on the picture and check it out.

as for the wiki entry...yes..I guess that's currently accepted. No way of knowing if it's correct though. Sitchin states that the culture was initially dated around 500 BC...and was later shifted even back. Who's to say that in future...it wont shift even further ? wouldnt be the first time that official history got the dates wrong.

In the end he's pointing to a chart somebody else made...and a number 3000 BC is visible in the bottom...so I'm not sure what your beef with this particular image ?

edit:

Ok...so I got these numbers...

---------------------------------------------- 1000 BC

Preclassic era was from 1500-1000 BC. ---------------------------------------------- 1500 BC

This is where Sitchin is pointing --> ---------------------------------------------- aprox 3000 BC

So where am I wrong about this pic ?

edit on 22-1-2016 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Doesn't that rule out most of the spaniards of that time?

Wasn't average height of Spanish some 5 feet at that time?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Doesn't that rule out most of the spaniards of that time?

Wasn't average height of Spanish some 5 feet at that time?

In the end it's a myth..so your valid point is moot

edit: that reminds me...I recently visited Peru and Ecuador. I'm 6 foot 5 inches...I look like a freak of nature among these people

edit on 22-1-2016 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Actually, I've never been a fan of Sitchin.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Watched this in its entirety and am blown away. Archaeologists of COURSE will be stubborn and not agree that some of these sites are 900 BC or older.. but I hope someday some expert teams can go to those spots in Guatemala to conduct thorough investigation and try to give us better date estimates.

Great information. I'm just fascinated

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

that's not what the video claims, if you watched it. no need to be Rude

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Actually, I've never been a fan of Sitchin.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
This is where Sitchin is pointing --> ---------------------------------------------- aprox 3000 BC

So where am I wrong about this pic ?

He's pointing at 3000BCE and claiming that it says "Olmec" when it doesn't say Olmec anywhere on it

it just says Early Preclassic era in Spanish just above it at the 2500BCE mark,
If you'd followed the wiki link I posted just for you, you would have seen the truth, but hey, stick with Sitchin if you prefer. Doesn't bother me either way. Doesn't bother Sitchin either now he's dead.

Please prove me wrong, show me where it actually says Olmec where he's pointing, which is what he is claiming in the link that you posted, yanno, its ok for you to not read the links I post for you, but most people would expect you to have read the links that you post to other people

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

that's not what the video claims, if you watched it. no need to be Rude

There's an article here about the colour of Quetzlcoatl's skin and how the idea that he was white was actually started by the Spanish as a form of control. Like, "We are your gods, obey us"
www.hallofmaat.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The statues of the Olmec heads are clearly African in nature. The nose is particularly negro in origin. I am of the opinion that there was a civilization previous to the Phoenicians and Egyptians that crossed the Atlantic.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Quetzalcoatl was the white god before the Spanish arrived. In fact the Spanish took advantage of this fact as you well know.

There are many pre-Colombian friezes which show this.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
The statues of the Olmec heads are clearly African in nature. The nose is particularly negro in origin. I am of the opinion that there was a civilization previous to the Phoenicians and Egyptians that crossed the Atlantic.

No they are not African in nature, they look like the natives of that region:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join