It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS Erases Hard Drive Despite Court Order ($2.2 million lawfirm contract)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Just another day of Government agency cover-ups. Willful destruction of documents again even though a court ordered preservation. Why not? Nobody will be prosecuted, nobody will be fired, nobody will loose their pensions. They are above the law and know it.

You want to pass a bill? How about any Government official breaking court orders or ordering others to break the law are fired and loose their pension? That might be nice.

www.atr.org...

The IRS erased a hard drive belonging to a former top employee involved in the agency’s controversial, taxpayer-funded hiring of elite trial law firm Quinn Emanuel.

Although there was a court preservation order on all documents related to the IRS hiring of the outside firm, the hard drive was erased anyway. The order was borne of a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request submitted by Microsoft.

The IRS informed the U.S. Department of Justice last month that it did not wipe the hard drive until April of last year, after the hold was in place, according to a Friday filing by the U.S. Department of Justice in a Washington federal court. The hard drive belonged to Samuel Maruca, former director of transfer pricing operations at the IRS Large Business and International Division.

Even though the white shoe law firm has zero experience handling sensitive tax data, taxpayers have been footing bills of over $1,000 per hour for its services.

The deleted hard drive belonged to the agency’s former director of transfer pricing operations at the IRS Large Business and International Division, likely a key employee involved in the controversy. It is not known if there is any way to recover documents belonging to the employee.

Despite its complete inexperience handling audits or taxpayer data, Quinn Emanuel was hired under an initial $2.2 million contract.

This is not the first time the agency has failed to preserve key information. The IRS also “accidentally” destroyed the hard drive belonging to Lois Lerner during investigations into the targeting of conservative groups. As many as 24,000 emails were lost forever when 422 backup tapes were wiped clean despite an agency-wide preservation order and congressional subpoena.

In the Lerner case, the IRS failed to take simple steps to ensure compliance with the order, according to a report by the House Oversight Committee.

Now, it appears that important information has once again disappeared because of IRS corruption, incompetence, or both.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
this one must have had the proof that Obama and the DNC were directly involved !!!!

Why else would they take this big of a chance?

Guilty arrogant jealous maniacs.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I assume that the IRS IT people would be very aware of any orders to not destroy data. If not, then that department's management needs to be fired immediately. Of course that won't happen...

This doesn't pass the smell test. This is just another example of the US government bureaucracy gone rogue. There is no accountability, and there are no consequences for incompetence or malfeasance.

-dex

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

and YET, if the IRS came to audit myself or my company, and I "LOST" all of the important documentation (or deleted it, or tried to manipulate the system at all), they would hit me with the BOOK.

Hypocritical scumbags... our tax dollars pay them to essentially keep robbing us, then they go and have scandals and delete evidence and no one bats an eyelash.

"as the world turns"

edit on 20-1-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

When are people going to stand for what is right over their paycheck? This may sound niave, but if my boss told me to wipe an IRS hard drive and I know that it is under court protection...I'd get fired and have a chat with a reporter.

The nondisclosures should be lifted in circumstances where felonies are committed by employers.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The scary thing about this types of corruption cases is, how independently these government agencies works from the elected government, is like we have a government and then we have government agencies dictating polices, doing corruption and been manipulated by the elite that runs them, I guess it shows how much we have lost our nation and how accountability is no longer a matter of honesty.

In other words Americas government is nothing but a corrupted shadow of what used to be a great government.

We are on our own, laws only applies to the people, not to the appointed mobsters running government agencies.

As usual the president doesn't know anything and is no accountable for any corruption under their rule, then what in the heck we got a government to begin with.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This will go down as the most shady administration in history. Just remember, people voted for this.. twice.

new topics

top topics

join