It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Are On The Verge of Interstellar Flight...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

We Are On The Verge of Interstellar Flight...

No

Not tomorrow, next month or even next year, most likely not even within my lifetime but on the whole of human history, we will soon, comparatively speaking, travel among the stars.

When we look back over the past 200 years of human history alone, we can honestly say that we've made huge advances, in medicine, astronomy, physics, mathematics, engineering etc etc etc. Now in this information age, coupled with Nano tech, AI and genetic engineering etc, That all the fundamental pieces we need are either floating about or in either the works or being researched, some presently nothing more than in the realm of theoretical physics and / or scientific based speculation.

Be that as it may...

From my personal studies and understanding of human history, if there is one things that sticks out it's that we are a formidable specie.

We develop the technology to accomplish the task, tool users, yes. Whether Homo sapiens or our genetic ancient cousins, Humans are tool users/developers. "The right tool for the job" When we wanted to reach the highest peak, we developed the wherewithal, We wanted to fly, we've did it, We wanted to not just sail the oceans but submerge beneath them, done that as well. Split the Atom? Sure, been there, done that too.

It's not a matter of will we travel among the stars but when. Sure, there are presently many Earth based issues that we as a specie need to address. Pollution, poverty, hunger, war etc etc etc. Nobody ever said that we were perfect. Many feel we need to address those issues before we colonize the moon, mars and explore/exploit beyond. Ethically speaking, those issues should be dealt with and solved regardless of our technical development. In antiquity, creating the nearly mathematically perfectly aligned, engineered and constructed Great pyramid of Egypt didn't add to or subtract from, Human imperfections, Nor had landing Apollo 11 on the moon for that matter.

Yet, we can look back and say "We did that!"

You see, for me, We have always reached for the stars...

I feel, however "Humans" came to be, have in us a need to reach beyond our present abilities, We have explored not only our physical environment/surroundings but as well as perceived spiritual and psychedelic experiences, "Right tools for the job" were developed and utilized. But always reaching. The earliest megalithic constructions were either to venerate gods or astronomically aligned. In either case in my opinion, an attempt to reach beyond, either spiritually or intellectually. To obtain a greater understanding or to explan as to why we are here and whats "Out There" and our relation to the vast expanse either above or beyond "Self"

In 1865, Jules Verne wrote From the Earth to the Moon (De la terre à la lune) which at the time was considered fantasy but within 104 years it became a reality with Neil and Buzz landing the Lunar module on the surface of the moon. The technological gap between Jules Verne's era and the actual event was tremendous. We in the the 21st Century now write books, have made movies and TV shows all showing us beyond not only the confines of mother Earth but out beyond our home Solar system.

Fantasy?

Sure, for now.

I feel, and I'm sure others will disagree that the technological gap between the present and achieving interstellar flight is much smaller than between Vernes era and 1969.

Mother Earth

She has been not only [As far as we know] our point of origin but very nurturing to us, as well as a brutal teacher. Our home biosphere has been in many ways a training ground of survival, A crucible if it were. Sure, we in our modern world live for the most part very cushioned lives. The vast majority of our population doesn't have to farm nor hunt for it's sustenance. Yes, there is no excuse with our combined planetary wealth for homelessness and starvation but this doesn't again, negate just how far we have come from being huddled around a campfire while sharpening a spear point hoping a heard will be within hunting distance tomorrow.

Are we ready?

I honestly feel that throughout our development as a species we have never really been 100% ready for the next great thing that we've accomplished. Not really, but there again, it's in our basic human nature to adapt to change. Every generation was born into a new reality. I was born into a world where man had already walked on the moon, Microwave ovens and color TV's with remotes were here before me. So, suffice it to say when we do breakaway from our present celestial confines those born of the period will adapt to and develop in it's parameters.

Mind over Matter

If we can dream or imagine it, it then can become a reality. This is not just a philosophical construct but a reality. We have seen time and again those among us who with grit and determination achieve their goals. This isn't abstract. They dreamed it, imagined it and then went about doing it. Was it easy or instantaneous? Nope, for many its a life long passion while for others their natural abilities made the task easier, but in either case if it were sought and commitments and sacrifices made that were needed to be made they were much further along in accomplishing their goals than had they just sat around hoping and wishing things would fall into their laps.

Fearful of Alien Contact

In human history whenever a more advanced civilization came into contact with a lesser advanced one, it didn't work out all too well for the lesser of the two. That's an historical fact. So, Should we shy away from contact? I wouldn't, See, we know the consequences of the previously mentioned scenarios possible outcome. If they are more advanced than we are they too should be aware of it. Maybe this is why, if they are presently or have been in the past aware of us, haven't attempted to make overt contact. I'm sure many believe we already have made contact but its just being held from us. There again, None of that should prevent us from pushing forward and through to greater accomplishments. We are hard wired with curiosity.

Our very human shortcomings will be with us for a very long time. We should not let them prevent us from advancing, we should rather, celebrate what we have and are capable of accomplishing despite of them.

Thank you for your time.

A few thoughts inspired by the films

Gravity
Contact
Interstellar
2001: A Space Odyssey

edit on 18-1-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Deep wisdom, I do hope the timeline gets shorter, I would like to see people on Mars before I die.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Not to be all off topic here, but where is the pictograph from? Southwest US, Chaco Canyon? Is that two pictures side by side? Or a single image?

Local guides there seem to believe the crescent moon, star and hand is depicting being witness to a supernova, yet that picture you posted with those three symbols exist at Chaco but it didn't have the white border and no other image and the adjacent wall.

Suddenly that throws theory of supernova into question.
edit on 18-1-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Ehm. ok?

Nice collection of random ramblings.

Cool pics too.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
April 1961 first man on space, July 1969 first man on the moon, 47 years latter nothing much really, im not too optimistic about interstellar if we cannot even get to mars yet.

Also I bet if we ever make ships to travel space, they wont have windows

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Also I bet if we ever make ships to travel space, they wont have windows

Would we need a small porthole to look out? They could install a tiny HD camera outside, inside, they'd have a whole wall as a HD screen.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69
In the computer industry, new tech is sometimes kept out of the public domain for decades. This much I know. So I do believe much is withheld from the public across the board. But setting that aside for the moment...

If civilization survives, or hopefully avoids, the next great war/cataclysm, we WILL achieve interstellar travel, and we will be the aliens visiting planets in other solar systems. I sincerely hope we change our ways for the better, before that happens.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I genuinely believe that we will be landing on other planets within the next twenty years...possibly even fifteen.The rate of our growth of knowledge is astounding and further research into nano-materials will surely give us the ability to build at least the body of an ultra-light spacecraft.

All we need then are shields,an as-yet-to-be invented FTL propulsion system and an inertial damping system for the crew.

Then I can play "Elite" in real life.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Beautiful thread

Believe it or not this is one major reason I refuse to have kids until I have enough faith that we as humanity come together to have a solid plan for future

We are breeding like a virus with no direction we are becoming more durable .. Where will the world population be in 200 years

Scary thoughts

Earth could get just 12 hours' warning of damaging solar storm

not a pretty picture when you can't even trust yourself never alone tones of freaked out humans

www.theguardian.com...

I know this is way too crazy for me to worry about in my life time but at some point we need to get the hell of this planet .. we are responsible for preserving life what else is more important but at this point no one cares .. What were the chances of us being the comprehending creatures we are aware of our existence ..

How incredibly intelligent we are ..

Interstellar travel is on the plate of things to come ..
These are my two current favourites :

Major 3D Printed Organ Breakthrough: Vascular Networks Achieved ... printing three-dimensional tissues with functional blood capillaries in the blink of an eye is a game changer,”

How Cloning a Frozen Mouse Might Lead to a Cloned Mammoth. The possibility of bringing extinct animals back to life

Yet somehow we are still so disturbingly barbaric .. Something unbelievable

edit on 18-1-2016 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpartan

As stated..

A few thoughts inspired by the films
Gravity
Contact
Interstellar
2001: A Space Odyssey

Again, Thank you for your time.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
In other words, the elite have finally got the balls to be real men and admit that us peasants could have been travelling the stars decades ago.

Its going to be interesting to see how the people react when they find out that technology has been kept in the dark 18th century whilst the elite military (black ops) have traversed the stars since World War 2 with the Vrill ships using clean everlasting energy.

Heads will roll.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpartan

Something like that
Scaaarry
edit on 18-1-2016 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The only way we will make it to the stars, is to learn how to warp space/time. This is not FTL, which is considered impossible, but a method of gravity distortion that SOME say, our military has already figured out. The feasibility will hinge on that discovery, or disclosure.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
According to the movies we will be wolverines and storms as well
Wise thinking, I like that idea.
Hey maybe we will all be superheroes as well

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Even if faster than light is not possible, if we can conquer aging then it wont matter. For instance if you could halt aging in humans you could probably do the same with a milk producing cow. Cow milk for the 1000 year trip.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I suppose we have the technology to travel to the nearest star system right now or at least attempt such a thing. Takes us about 100-200 years to get there all the same. The cost of such a venture and the uncertainty of knowing whether or not there would even be planets or moons that could sustain life around Proxima Centauri being a major factor and concern. Once we can cost effectively launch material in to low Earth orbit we may be more inclined to try.

en.wikipedia.org...(nuclear_propulsion)
edit on 18-1-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If it were ever a conventional trip, I don't think people have the mental stamina to be around the same people for that kind of time, so it would have to be suspended animation. I would say don't go until we figure out what is basically time travel.

Some of my colleagues, god love them, after 10 years or so locked up with them, it would lead to a depressurization.
edit on 18-1-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Might not be able to achieve FTL propulsion in the conventional sense given the exponential energy requirements but technology such as the Alcubierre drive concept may open up new avenues with regards travel to the stars.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Consider the fact that a significant amount of people living a couple of hundred years ago lived out there life without ever leaving the town or village they were born in. That kind of proves the notion that we could indeed endure such a an extended trip provided the ship was big enough and had enough distractions to keep the occupants entertained. Not suggesting it would not require persons of a specific temperament through.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

That, in a nutshell, is what many think we already possess.
Reverse engineered or invented, it is the way.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join