It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran frees 4 captives as IAEA certifies compliance with nuclear deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Leading up to the sanctions announcement, the United States and Iran took steps to thaw the cold relations between the two countries which have frequently locked horns since Iran's Islamic Revolution of 1979.

In an unusual move, President Barack Obama pardoned three Iranian-Americans charged for violating sanctions against Iran, a lawyer for one of the men said, while prosecutors moved to drop charges against four Iranians outside the United States.
Iran will also free five Americans including Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian and a Christian minister.

Iran frees 4 captives as IAEA certifies compliance with nuclear deal

This is breaking. I did try and find a thread on this news, couldn't but if there is already a thread mods please close.

This great news. This is progress and in my opinion historic as well. Since 1979 sanctions have been put on Iran and additional sanctions in the 2000s when they were suspected of developing nuclear weapons. This hasn't changed circumstances in Iran and it has only created further tension. Finally diplomacy is the route taken, and we are beginning to see the fruits of it.

I'd still really like to know from all of those conservatives who harped against ANY diplomacy with Iran and negotiation, what the alternative would be?

More sanctions?
War with Iran?

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It was kind of already posted here (different title) .

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I would think that the inside neo-cons will have to re-establish their long term plan of isolating Iran .With freeing the assets ,Iran will be in a better position of making their next move . I think the swing towards the BRICS is in the cards .The US is too unstable in its policies towards those states not willing to tow the western line of thinking . The neo-cons have been loosing the message and the war to isolate Russia/China and this latest development will only cause that eastern relationships to strengthen in time .Syria is back on track to being in control of their territory and will with Iraq make up the new shift in the multi-polar world for a time ....If nothing major happens soon we can expect much more stability in the region . imo

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
good decision from Iran

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
After all , the $150 billion that Obama gave them for ransom.....

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The massively mysterious "4th prisoner" that no one knows anything about didn't show up for the plane that the other three used to go back to USA.

Now, media outlets that closely follow Iran say that they don't know ANYTHING about this person. There has been zero appeal from the public for their release, there has been zero mention of their name by the Governments of Iran or the United States. There is no mention of this person ANY WHERE on social media or anywhere else online.

Now, it's extremely difficult to NOT be mentioned online, anywhere in this day and age. I have two theories.

1) This is cover for some sort of massive side deal the State Department made during the nuclear negotiations. "We want you to do this, this and this, and let's just call it a "4th prisoner" so you can save face. Obama and Kerry have both said that there are several top secret provisions in the deal.

If we hear of something weird that the Iranians do in the next few weeks / months that was very, very unexpected, I'd assume this was the "4th prisoner".

2) My wilder theory is this. Iran and Russia are very, very close diplomatically. My wild theory is that somehow the Russians have slotted themselves into these negotiations, and the "4th prisoner" is cover for Edward Snowden being repatriated to the United States from Moscow, with some sort of unofficial pardon. How's THAT for a Conspiracy Theory ?

Let's wait and see.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Oh, the words of a low information voter. NO, The Obama Administration did not GIVE them $150 Billion.

They simply released funds that were already owned by the Iranian Government but were frozen under sanction conditions.

Far right media personalities and Republican Presidential candidates have been pushing this ridiculous idea that somehow Obama "Gave" $150 billion to the Iranians .... this is a complete falsehood.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
State Department is claiming that the 4th Prisoner is a "businessman" who "doesn't want to leave Iran".

This argument is getting way less believable as the day goes on. I doubt there's a businessman almost anywhere on the planet that doesn't have some sort of online presence. Some sort of company website listing them as an employee, some sort of "Contact Me" page online, SOMEWHERE.

It would be extremely hard to do business without any online presence whatsoever. Several media outlets are saying they can't find ANY story anywhere about this guy ever being detained, arrested, or even existing.

American State Department officials are claiming they knew nothing about him until the negotiations. Likely because THEY MADE HIM UP to cover for something else.

I also find it extremely hard to believe that any business would lose personnel in Iran and not go running to the Government for assistance in dealing with a release.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

could be someone Iran wanted in the US and the guy got cold feet as he didnt want the ol' two the head one in the chest

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Obama didnt give them ANYTHING!

It was Irans money frozen in bank accounts.

That money does NOT come out the USA debt or tax payer pockets.
edit on 21-1-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join